Front track rod replacement on a 3B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front track rod replacement on a 3B

I've got this to look forward to and can't see how I can possibly get my arms in about the bracket with the battery tray in the way, and I don't really want to get the angle grinder out....

Any top tips or BTDT to give me some faith that it is in fact possible!?

How can you fit your hand through with a battery tray in the way? Looked tight enough in an ABY
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by rynaqui View Post
      How can you fit your hand through with a battery tray in the way? Looked tight enough in an ABY
      Exactly!

Comment

It is possible but its a massive PITA. Easiest way is to remove both rods at the same time. Remove the complete "yoke" that the two rods bolt to from the rack piston, then pull the assembly out through the hole in the inner wing.

Or, do what I did prior to removing it all together and cut a 4" hole in the bottom of the battery tray with hole saw for access
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

So assuming mine looks like this, and I'm sure it does, it's just two bolts and the steering damper nut and I can pull it out? I remember someone mentioning captive nuts, but I can't see where those would be??

Comment

Please note that this is assembled wrong in my photo, but you can see the back of the captive bolts

Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Captive bolts, ah, that makes sense now

Comment

Difference between tie-rod and track control arm

Sorry. I have to provide this info because you are calling the tie rod the track control arm and we wouldn't want any confusion.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

You are very correct.

However our mechanics and motorfactors have brainwashed us in calling tie rod ends track rod ends, and track control arms are called wishbones.

Its a messed up world. where hoods are bonnets and fenders are wings.
                  Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
                    ...Its a messed up world. where hoods are bonnets and fenders are wings.
                    I understand the "quirks" of English English when I had to get torch and a spanner out the other fortnight when the lift to my flat went all dodgy like.

Terms I have pointed out are Audi's English versions (both UK English and US English).

BTW - the bonus is the diagram as to how the tie rods are attached to the Item 2 carrier bracket.
                    Last edited by UrS4boy; 16 April 2014, 19:39.
                    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by sidrick View Post
                      So assuming mine looks like this, and I'm sure it does, it's just two bolts and the steering damper nut and I can pull it out? I remember someone mentioning captive nuts, but I can't see where those would be??
                      Yup, be aware those two bolts through the rack need to be unscrewed from below - the two holes in the rack piston are threaded. Don't try beating them out it'll take you a long time
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Just in from doing some reconnaissance. Top two nuts are off no problem and access to the bolts from the bottom isn't bad but it was impossible to get about them with a ratchet with my current extensions. Collecting a couple of swivel sockets and another extender tomorrow and it shouldn't be too bad at all. The steering damper looks like it is going to be a pain in the *** as there's an air con pipe in the way of that as well.

Summary, a pain in the ***, but not quite as bad as I thought if you have the right swivels and extensions. Will update tomorrow.

Are the locking nuts just regular threads?

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                          Yup, be aware those two bolts through the rack need to be unscrewed from below - the two holes in the rack piston are threaded. Don't try beating them out it'll take you a long time
                          Yes, good tip. I'd have been mighty confused if I hadn't read that on another thread

Comment

Yup just regular M10 nylocks
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

you can turn the steering to one side before you start to get better access
                              Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X