Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

urS6 - Rear Tailgate Spoiler - How is it attached ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urS6 - Rear Tailgate Spoiler - How is it attached ?

As above, and any photos to show more detail, also thinking of how the electrical wire for the third brake light is run ?

Thanks.

Originally posted by macspring View Post
    As above, and any photos to show more detail, also thinking of how the electrical wire for the third brake light is run ? Thanks.
    The hatch spoilers with the 3rd brake light are attached to the hatch with imbedded studs in the spoiler that go through holes in the metal hatch, secured with washers and nuts.

The third brake light wiring will be run inside the hatch, either within the metal or under the plastic hatch trim.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Ha ha, I haven't got to search the forum now I will need to take mine of soon.

Comment

C4 Hatch Trim Removal Info

Originally posted by shaun5 View Post
        Ha ha, I haven't got to search the forum now I will need to take mine of soon.
        Probably need to take the inner upper hatch trim off to access two or three of the nuts on the spoiler. This might come in handy:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/93572.phtml

Comment

Thanks Dave.

Your Treasure Trove of urS6 information is another reason I now have three urS6 cars.

Comment

Thanks Dave. Your Treasure Trove of urS6 information is another reason I now have three urS6 cars.
            Sorry about that.

Back to the hatch spoiler. I used to have a 98 C4 A6 avant that I could crib UrS6 avant answers off but I sold that when I got the 94 V8 S4 avant. I just went out to the 94 avant to see how its (very) little spoiler is attached to its hatch.

SHOCK. DISAPPOINTMENT.

It's NOT an add-on spoiler that I could remove to install the larger and lovely UrS6 avant spoiler. IT IS ONE PIECE WITH THE HATCH.

Bugga. Sad day for me because I hoped to add an UrS6 spoiler to the 94.

Anyway, the UrS6 hatch spoiler is only attached at the two ends, via its built-in pillar/posts.

Last edited by UrS4boy; 16 May 2016, 00:48.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
              Sorry about that.

I just went out to the 94 avnat to see how its (very) little spoiler is attached to its hatch.

SHOCK. DISAPPOINTMENT.

It's NOT an add-on spoiler that I could remove to install the larger and lovely UrS6 avant spoiler. IT IS ONE PIECE WITH THE HATCH.

Bugga. Sad day for me because I hoped to add an UrS6 spoiler to the 94.
              Swop tailgates !

Comment

I believe the large 3rd brake light spoiler goes on top of the non-removable mini spoiler. You'd have to drill a few holes, but it's fully compatible.
                Audi B3/B4 Photography group

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Gallagher View Post
                  I believe the large 3rd brake light spoiler goes on top of the non-removable mini spoiler. You'd have to drill a few holes, but it's fully compatible.
                  I am guessing that it might be necessary to trim the plastic spoiler support posts down a tad so that the spoiler doesn't stick up too much on the non-spoiler hatch (I think the spoiler hatches have indents in them to receive and locate those posts). All that said, at this point, I am reluctant to drill holes in an otherwise virgin 93K km 20 year old hatch. But thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                    (I think the spoiler hatches have indents in them to receive and locate those posts)
                    You're right, checked my two urS6 Avants, and the tailgate on the one with the spoiler has small indents stamped into the metal skin of the tailgate to accommodate the fitment of a rear spoiler.

Not worth trying to fit an oem spoiler to a non spoiler tailgate.

'Easier' to swop the tailgates.

[/QUOTE]

All that said, at this point, I am reluctant to drill holes in an otherwise virgin 93K km 20 year old hatch. But thanks.

[/QUOTE]

I agree too nice a car to start drilling the bodywork , notwithstanding the comment above re the difference in tailgates.

Regards.

Last edited by macspring; 16 May 2016, 00:13.

Comment

Dave, you disappoint I thought you knew that the rear hatces are different between spoiler and non spoiler versions.

The spoiler is actualy acting like a ducting to direct air down to the rear glass, probably to lessen the turbulence that keeps crapping up the avant rear glass. Tne non-spoiler hatch does just not have room for that passage, it could be that the non spoier part is covering that, but the glass should be different between them so just removing that part wont probably help.

Problem is that after the glass all directed air/water/dust/etc fron the spoiler will land on the trunk edge right below that, so on worse climate areas it will rot trough faster then hatches without spoilers (not saying the non-spoilter hatches dont start to rust from there eventualy, as i have now found on the back of my UrS6)

Also little known fact, early Audi 100 and possibly Urs4 avants had "quattro" script glass with spoiler hatches, but i have seen them only on very early cars so it was probably dropped after first year.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoig View Post
                        Dave, you disappoint I thought you knew that the rear hatces are different between spoiler and non spoiler versions.
                        Umm...this is North America. There were zero UrS4 avants imported and I have only ever seen one Canadian C4 100 avant and that was about 10 years ago and I don't even recall what hatch spoiler it had or didn't have. The USA got UrS6 avants but Canada did not. Canada got very few C4 A6 avants (I have seen a total of 3 locally in 15 years). I had to import one (98 C4 A6q) from the US to own one. I saw one 93 C4 100 Euro avant in a wreckers 2yrs before I bought my 94 V8 S4 avant. So yes, I wasn't totally aware of the differences between the hatch spoilers.

I just checked the avant hatch glass PNs and there are like 7 or 8 PNs, depending on clear, green or chrome vaporized (factory imbedded black tint) and spoiler or no spoiler.

Mine should be 4A9845501CB, heated, no spoiler, chrome vaporized (black tint).

BOTTOM LINE: No spoiler for me.

Comment

It seems that in europe the spoiler hatch was dropped completely after 1995 when the A6 was launched. Later it was re-introduced with S6+ models (or s6+ spec UK models) along with the 3rd brake light. Early euro spoiler hathes did not have the brake light. Also i have seen on many Italian market non-spoiler models that they have 3rd brake light installed on the inside with special trim piece and different shape factory black edge tint around the glass.
                          Most dominant seems the boring option here - no spoiler or 3rd brake light, also many of the spoiler hatches have been replaced with non-spoiler hatches because it is nearly impossible to find decent one without major rust issues.

Rarest combination would be quattro script spoiler hatch with late model spoiler that includes the 3rd brake light (also sun shade on the inside would complete the package), pretty sure they were never offered together from factory.

Comment

My spoiler' ed tailgate is rusty on the fold over seam at the bottom middle of the tailgate.
                            It has a third brake light.

The non spoiler tailgate has no rust.

Dave, Zoig was only slagging you, rather than genuine criticism.
                            Last edited by macspring; 25 April 2014, 22:59.

Comment

Dave, Zoig was only slagging you, rather than genuine criticism.
                              I know. I was just pushing back.

I'm just mad because I can't add the spoiler without drilling holes in the virgin non-rusted non-spoiler hatch.

Comment

Working...
                              X