Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got my first Audi. F plate Couple Quattro

hi all,

i picked up a coupe quattro the other day.

i intend to use it as a track car.

this is the first audi i have owned so please bear with me im more at home with 1.8t mk1/2 golfs and mk2 sciroccos.

i will probably have quite a few questions as i go but for now the main thing i want to get in my head are gearboxes. I believe it will be a 01a fitted at the moment? i would like to fit a 01e (?) to handle more power (more on that in a minute), is a 01e swap straight forward or does it require the prop and or drive shafts to also be swapped? also can i use the 10v flywheel with the 01e box?

im going to fit a 24v vr6 turbo into the car. my idea is to use an adaptor to fit an audi flywheel to the vr6 to keep the use of a audi fitment clutch etc. this goes back to my last question about the 10v flywheel and the 01e box, if not i will need a 20v flywheel?

Also, can yous let me know of common things i need to look out for with these cars? also and easy or common mods that are needed etc? my basic plan is -

Remove the 10v engine,
    remove the front and rear subframes and suspension and have them blasted and re-painted, then refitted with polly bushes.
    coilovers of some description
    upgrade the brakes (im thinking of using brembo calipers and series 1 focus rs discs obviously with custom brackets for the calipers) - what options are there on servos/master cylinders?
    check the floor for major rust etc while im on with the subframes
    remove the interior
    fit the vr6 and 01e(?) with uprated clutch
    etc etc,

hope yous dont think im a right wally haha, but i have taken a bit of a plunge buying a car i dont know too much about.

thanks for any help and advice

i will upload some pics if anyone is bothered at the weekend when i am back home

sorry if this post seems a bit random and allover

oh well,

Hello and cheers

Jason

oh btw i need an ignition barrel for it if anyone has one
    Last edited by Jaswan; 4 September 2014, 18:55.

Interesting project, I bet someone on here has experience with a VR6 in a quattro. Obviously you would save yourself a lot of money, time and effort if you went straight for an S2. You'd get the stronger 5 stud wheels and hubs for a start and if it was an ABY you'd be on the 6 Speed box.

But maybe that's a lot less fun

BTW I think your auto correct has been messing with you, it's Coupe (not couple)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

vr6 into quattros info can be found at www.motorgeek.com there are a couple of cars in the project section

Comment

Interesting project
        Speaking from experience said you'd save a hell of a lot of time (and money) buying an S2 and doing the engine swap - but that takes all the fun out of it
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by spink View Post
          vr6 into quattros info can be found at www.motorgeek.com there are a couple of cars in the project section
          there ' re some insane projects there,

u r quite lucky in UK to be able to swap whatever engine u want in a car, not any possibility here in belgium... although, the only way is to buy a car in UK or germany and import it, cause any vehicle registered in europe can be re registered,

friend of mine got a vw golf from 1991 , with syncro transmition and new 1.9 tdi engine, that flies !!
          S2 's and oldtimers

Comment

thanks for the replies.

just notices the title says couple haha.... oops.

I'm a bit of a tight git and got the car for £140 so it must be about 2000% cheaper than an S2

i have the vr6 allready and adaptor plate. got the turbo and associated parts coming too.

can anyone confirm of the 01E will swap straight in or so i need prop and drive shafts too?

Cheers

Jason.

Comment

Welcome.

There is a lot of vr6 swap info on motorgeek.

It is a cool swap, a lot of potential. It does need a fair amount of fab/custom parts or money though.

034 do a vr6 adapter plate (I think its an OE part for some weird setup-phaeton/touraeg)

http://store.034motorsport.com/produ...tro-trans.html

034 vr6-01e/a gearbox flywheel

http://store.034motorsport.com/produ...ount-1916.html

034 oil filter adapter (I think you need to move the oil filter to make an engine mount, see picture below)

http://store.034motorsport.com/produ...r-vr6-24v.html

I think 034 also do a longitudinal starter. Possibly need to do something with the sump to clear the subframe iirc (phaeton oil pan?)

Are you turboing it? People are getting good power on junkyard engines with stock internals.

VR6 turbo b4

http://www7.motorgeek.com/viewtopic....5586&hilit=vr6

A 1.8t swapped b3 now going vrt, p57>
              http://www3.motorgeek.com/viewtopic....937&start=1425

VR6t cq
              http://www7.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40366&

Notched subframe for the sump

http://motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f...=vr6&start=275

01E parts for swap are listed here by err404

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=44756&page=2

Looking forward to pictures as you go
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by Jaswan View Post

can anyone confirm of the 01E will swap straight in or so i need prop and drive shafts too?

Cheers

Jason.
                No it will not fit without other parts;

Originally posted by Error404 View Post

Here is a definitive list to do it properly:

01E gearbox
                Complete ABY/ADU shift linkage inc gear lever ball joint assembly
                ABY/ADU gearbox mounts (or custom made)
                S2 front driveshafts
                ABY slave cylinder line (or modify your 5spd one to clear the linkage)
                6 speed / V6 front subframe or spacer for gearbox mount height difference
                ABY coupe prop (or you can use front half of S2 avant prop with rear half of 5spd prop)
                Unless you have ABY engine harness, you'll need to modify the wiring for reverse light switch & gearbox speed sensor (loom needs extending).

HTH
                Alex
                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

thanks for the links Andy.

i have allready done a lot of looking into the vr6 quattro swap (i did want to put it all into mk2 scirocco but its just going to be too much work)

so i picked up the coupe as it will be much more straight forward

i will be using a precision 6262 ball bearing turbo with a decompression plate and stock internals for now until i change the rods and pistons etc (the guy i bought the turbo and parts from was making 450 whp with stock internals at 16psi on his 24v vr6)

i have the adaptor plate allready, and im going to use a modified passat v5 starter. i still need a solid plan on what flywheel and clutch to use. but i will be needing an 01e box.

Jason.
                  Last edited by Jaswan; 15 January 2014, 12:45.

Comment

Awesome project, seems like almost anything can be dropped in nowadays with off the shelf parts. Will you be diy-ing or buying said bits from 034 and the like?

As above, for the 01E swap you'll need mounts, linkage, front shafts and prop.

I made my own gearbox mounts, they're pretty simple really, and there's a couple of plugs you need to swap to fit reverse switch and wheel speed sender.

I've a cheap 01E from ny v8 project for sale to get you started if you're interested?

Where aboutsvare you based?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
                    1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Oh and I forgot to mention about the brakes. I had some mk1 focus rs discs as you say. You'll need to have the centre bore open out to fit over the Audi hubs and open out the bolt holes. I've mocked up brackets to work with bmw 728 calipers as they are dirt cheap. Got new Lagos discs for 100 and calipers 150 for the pair.

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

hi Kieron,

I live in hartlepool but commute to Cheltenham through the week.

how much are you after for your box and what does it come with?

On the brakes front, i was looking at using the same calipers too. did you make the brackets your self then or have them machined for you?

cheers,

Comment

I've only mocked them up out of mdf at the minute mate, but they're ready to be machined. I did take them to a machinist but they just sat on his shelf for 6 weeks so I went elsewhere. They're pretty simple really.

There was a thread on here with a drawing with rough dimensions, which I started from then tweaked them mocking them up on a hub and disc. You'll need wheel spacers to clear the calipers too depending on your offset.

Box is bare, I need mounts and linkage for myself. As I said I made my own mount and to be fair the linkage is pretty bodged so wouldn't be happy selling it as fully working.

1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Originally posted by Kieron20V View Post

Whereabouts are you based?

Flag says Afghanistan !

Nice project.

Comment

yea i was in afghan, i have spent quite a bit of my working time there. although that isnt an afghan flag.

if you like Kieron, when you come to getting the brackets made we could spread the cost on 2 pairs

Jason.

Comment

Working...
                              X