Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S6 AAN customized instrument cluster

Hello,

"I have a dream..." customizing my AAN instrument cluster keeping the oil pressure gauge (like on 100, 200, V8...) instead of the analogic clock and the digital clock inside rpm cluster "window".

Anybody has already done it? Is it possible or not?

Thanks
    sigpic

Oil Pressure Gauge

I believe that the instrument cluster boards are too dissimilar to install the oil pressure gauge from the clusters that you described. The clusters with the digital odometers definitely have a different circuit board that the those with the analog odometers. You would also need the oil pressure sending unit & rewire this to the instrument cluster somehow.
    I used a 2 gauge pillar mount & installed both a proper boost gauge & electric oil pressure gauge from Autometer. Color of the gauge faces is close enough to the rest of the cluster gauges. Heat gun to fit the pod. Fiddled around to get the pod illumination color to match that of the interior lighting & there you go. Future plans to cover or paint this pillar mount to match the lighter color of the interior.
    HTH, Chris
    Attached Files
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

It has been done by few enthusiasts over here in Latvia. Oil pressure gauge from URS4 to match dial color. And since all C4 A/S6 clusters shares the same circuit board, digital clock also should be possible.

Comment

yeeeeeahhh! This is what I want to hear!
        I have opened the clusters several times and It should be very easy.
        I'll keep you update after getting the stuff I need.
        Thank you! You made me happy
        sigpic

Comment

Been there done that.
          UrS6 dials, added the aux gauge PCB from 220v and oli pressure gauge and sender from UrS4. Top it off with SMD led bulbs to get all nice and red and works perfect so far.

My webserver is down now so i cant post any good pictures of the end result, maybe i can add them tomorrow.

Comment

Ok thanks Also I think I'm going to use black dials because also with red SMD leds, white dials is not the best. Makes "soft light effect" everywhere.
            Contrast on black dials is better. Waiting for pics
            sigpic

Comment

If you just want a set of black dials then get short (non aux gauge version) taho with digi clock, audi 100 aux gauges, A6 gauges and audi 100/200 aux dials PCB. Apart from hacking in the digi clock rest of the process is the same.

Required pieces from my parts bin:
              • UrS4 aux gauges
              • 200 20v aux gauge PCB
              • 0-5Bar oil pressure sensor
              • SMD B8.5 red led bulbs
              • One spare backing of the aux gauge for spare
              • 200 20v rear cover

Everyting is made so the original UrS6 cluster could be restored. For the beginning measure and cut the edge of 220v PCB, its slightly too big, same with the screw holes that are missing should be drilled and added to the PCB.

Next step was to add the light shade from spare backing to the new cover, this made the backlight more even for all 3 gauges. Also few alterations to the cover to have room for the gauge.

Pinout aquired from another topic somewhere in s2 Forum(cant remember who posted that), can confirm it works perfectly:
              S6 - 220v
              1 - tühi
              2 - tühi
              3 - 1
              4 - 2
              5 - 3
              6 - 4 (green- black)
              Pins are not numbered, so just follow back from the green-black colours

UrS4 and UrS6 dials are slightly different tone, could be from different exposure to sunlight over the years. 99% of people wont notice it in the car, but good to know that there will be slight difference.

Final product fully lit up.

Comment

a few guys in states also has been done this mods.i really want to get one on my urs6.unfortunately,i couldn't
                find the grey oil press. gauge from UrS4 ins. cluster.
                one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

All this stuff looks great! I would like the dark blue background of the S6 plus in my car.
                  96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                  96 URS6 plus speck estate
                  94 2.6 80 Avant
                  99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                    All this stuff looks great! I would like the dark blue background of the S6 plus in my car.
                    I did it on my S6 avant automatic gearbox

Thank you Zoig
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Giacomo View Post

Thank you Zoig
                      Looks superb! Big thanks to Mdz and Zoig for their achievements and showing us what's possible!
                      94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Giacomo, those S6+ blue dials with chrome rings around look different Did you swap the rings over or changed the casing?

My car beeing the early MY1995 didn't have rings, so i swapped in a newer casing.

Comment

Originally posted by Giacomo View Post
                          Is your car a 5cyl or the V8?
                          94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Is there a C4 model that has a black oil pressure gauge that I could use in my TDi?
                            sigpic
                            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

The car is 5cyl. The chrome rings and the case were from the S6 5 cyl.
                              I bought the full tacho on Audi Tradition, opened it and move the whole gauges on AAN case and motherboard.
                              The rings where black on the blue tacho I bought (as it is for the Plus) and they're very easy to extract. Just push them towards the "glass" unclipping and pick from the rpm and speedometer big holes.
                              I could use the black rings but while doing the job I saw that chrome rings where good looking.

So, finally:
                              - the motherboard is from S6 AAN automatic, but could be also manual.
                              - the 4 blue fuel, rpm, speedometer and water temperature gauges (gauges! not only dials) were pulled out from S6 Plus motherboard and plugged in AAN motherboard.
                              - the rpm counter does not need any kind of extra job: it doesn't matter if it comes from a V8 motherboard and goes to I5 motherboard. The correct rpm signal is managed from the motherboard and not the gauge.
                              - the speedometer is something you have to accept as it is. Let me explain: the blue gauge from the Plus marks 300 km/h as top speed while the AAN marks 280 km/h. Seen that, as per the rpm, it is the motherboard which manage the speed signal, the needle of the speedometer will move on the blue dial exactly like if the dial was white and 280 km/h. So there is the defect that for example, running at 100 km/h, the needle will be on 85-90 km/h, but this defect will disappear while increasing your speed, due to the fact that the numbers on the dial are not accurate printed. Running at 180 km/h the speedometer marks 190, and so on. I made measuring with Tomtom GPS.
                              - the three gauges (clock, oil temp and volts) are plug and play.

The hardest thing is to find a blue tacho for sale.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X