Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 aby weirdology......

Howdy all..
    I have a 1996 aby coupe that a while ago started showing head gasket symptoms. Slight misfire on start-up, slight steam/coolant smell out the exhaust and coolant loss. However, no rise in temp or pressure in the system... Anyway, pulled the plugs, stuck my little camera in the plug hole and sure enough cylinder no.3 has coolant in it. Bummer!!
    So I got all motivated and decided I'm almost due a timing belt anyway, why not do the lot. So pulled the head. Sent it off for a polishing skim and a pressure test. Figured while I'm this close, new valve seals and clean and regrind the valves too.
    Delighted with my gleaming and perfect pressure tested head bolted it all back together and.......
    Oh ya, wasn't happy with the feel of the turbo so replaced that too.... and poured in all my new fluids etc.
    Warmed it up and headed for a spin and it was glorious, I mean fantastic, superb smooth power. Nicer than ever and it had always been good. So got home parked up, patted myself on the back and off to bed.
    Next morning started the car, slight misfire for a moment, smell of coolant out the exhaust etc. No way I thought!! Pulled the plugs, got the camera and here we go again... no.3 has coolant in it....
    Any takers???...... Thanks.

Coolant leak in one of the inlet or exhaust ports? Porosity is relatively common on these 20v heads and can lead to coolant seeping into the runners. I've seen it on an exhaust port before, which was cured by having it welded.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

That was my fear..... Thanks.
      Looks like I'm pulling the head again.
      I should be quicker this time I guess....

Comment

Do you have coolant on top of piston crown or sitting in the plug recess? Are you happy with the face surface on the block?

Comment

Top of the piston. The deck of the block is like new.....

Comment

I kinda figured it was as SteveH said.
            I was just wondering if it was common and if people had already come across it...

Comment

If the block is good and level then I would also go with a porous head

Comment

Might be worth pulling the turbo off and using your endoscope to look up into the exhaust runners. Cold side will more than likely require removal of the inlet manifold. You can run the car like it is and look for a replacement head or remove it and get it repaired. I had my head treated by Ultraseal with their resin impregnation process.
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I guess because the valves are all polished and reground and I have new valve seals fitted I will probably try and stay with its own head.
                  I have another head on the shelf if I have to go that way.

Comment

Working...
                  X