Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door handle failure

Alright lads,

My drivers side door handle has been getting progressively stiffer to operate to the point where a couple of days ago something has failed in the mechanism. The door will not open from the outside now, only from the inside.

Any ideas what might have failed? Can the handle be repaired or should i try to source another complete handle?

My car is Emerald green if anyone has handles i can purchase of them?

Cheers guys

Linkage might've come out at the end if you're lucky. If not lucky the hole it goes through might've sheered off.

Comment

Ah right, are these parts available to buy separately? Probably a stupid question that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gmac78 View Post
        Ah right, are these parts available to buy separately? Probably a stupid question that!!!
        From memory there's a few linkages attached to the main mechanism. It sounds like the shortish one that attaches to the handle itself is affected on yours. The one from the inner door trigger is separate and sounds like its working ok.
        Again from memory the handle linkage has a small 90 degree bend that goes through the hole. I think there's also a grommet that goes around the linkage and that might've come away/slipped off. I'd be surprised if its come away at the other end.
        Either way, you'll need to take the door card off to find out what's gone wrong.

I'd be surprised if your linkage has snapped, you can probably still get the grommets and possible the handles too.
        Ive got a handle set up for sale but check yours first as you may be lucky. I'd put some white grease on the moving parts and i'd double check the grommet condition and maybe replace regardless if its come off once.

Comment

Good man, thanks for the info. I'm offshore at the moment but will need to investigate when i get back to base. I knew i should have looked into it as soon as it started to get stiff to operate!!

Comment

Whip the doorcard off when you get back and it should become clear

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
              Whip the doorcard off when you get back and it should become clear

I can see hours of fun there!!!

Comment

Originally posted by S2TORNADO View Post
                I can see hours of fun there!!!
                Ok aye, all great until it stops working

I would guess at one of rods popped out the clip as you said.

Doorcard if that helps

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Hi
                  If you've not had the door card off before be careful. I'm sure there will be a write up somewhere on the forum. Once the pull handle is off and the other screws remoed the card pulls up and the plastic clips can be easily broken, watch out for the rubber mouldings which are easily lost
                  I would agree, part 28 popped out or broken. They are the same as early A4's so still plenty of them in breakers yards, not so with the 80's
                  Paul
                  1995 RS2 Nogaro
                  1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                  1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

Cheers for the prompt response guys, much appreciated. I've had the door card off quite a few times over the years adjusting the window frame etc so got it down to a fine art. The exploded drawing helps a lot too so gives me something to go on. Thanks again.

Comment

Evening guys,

I've only got round to whipping off the door card tonight, sure enough it is item 28 that has split in two along the threaded portion. Anyone got one spare lying around? Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X