Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there a centre diff fill port for the S4 auto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a centre diff fill port for the S4 auto?

Years ago I had my cats swapped for resonators Recently my car has developed a leak in the drive train above the cat area (so maybe the extra heat has caused this).

I've been under the car but cannot see a drain port in this area. I assumed this is the centre differential and if so is there a drain and fill port that area that I should be seeing?

cheers

Probably the rear output flange seal that is leaking. You have to drop the exhaust and remove the heat shield and the drive axle to get access... Been there done that...

PS. Yes there is a center diff fill port.

Comment

Center diff is part of the gearbox oil system so just check level at passanger side (uk) filling bung. Needs 17mm alan key

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
        Center diff is part of the gearbox oil system so just check level at passanger side (uk) filling bung. Needs 17mm alan key

I assumed OP had a automatic transmission... If so, the center diff is separate... (has to remove a lot of stuff to get access to drain and fill plugs)...

Comment

Ah yes missed that.

Comment

ah k then thanks. The leak is ****** all, ie: there is no stain on my driveway, and it only leaks on an upward slope (has for years). So no problem then I will just buy a litre bottle of Audi ATF and top it. Cost about NZ$50 a litre over here.

Comment

ah re-read posts, ******..

Comment

The service manual specifies 75W-90 gear oil for the center diff. Refilling it with ATF oil is not necessarly a bad idea on an old car (safer if you got internal leaks between the center diff and the automatic transmission, maybe not as good at protecting the gears inside the center diff (?). Anyway, your call... ☺

Comment

ah no I didn't read the replies properly. I have the oil specs, wouldn't put the wrong stuff in. I don't think I will attempt the job myself if i have to remove the exhaust and driveshaft! what the hell..

Comment

Working...
                  X