Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering hose question

Hey guys

So the hose that goes from the power steering pump to the bomb on my ABY is causing issues again....

Despite having fitted this hose November 2012 as a second hand but never fitted item (effectively brand new) it has decided to leak everywhere from a joint where it goes from the rubber hose to the metal union at the bottom where it bolts to the bomb. I'm going to go and get one made up by the hydraulics man (I hope) but I have a question about it.

Halfway down the rubber hose under the sleeping that covers it all is a metal restrict or. Does anyone know what this is and what purpose it serves? When I get the new one made, I am assuming I need this bit made into it too?

If anyone knows the answer that would be great.

Thanks
    Chris

It's not a restrictor its just a swaged reinforcement ring to protect the hose where its clipped into the support.

If its any help have one of those hoses here mate. Good condition it came off my coupe a few months ago as I'm going to vacuum - £10 delivered
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Hi Alex, thanks for that. Are you sure as I have seen in another thread it is a constrictor? Why would it constrict the hose though?

Comment

Also seen it called a vibration damper....? Anyone know for definite? I trust what Alex is saying but just wondering if anyone can back it up or if anyone has any other info regarding this item?

Comment

I have cut one open to find out
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Hahaha, I guess that's a definite then hahahahahaha. Thanks Alex, will send you a pm about your hose too buddy lol.

Dyou know, oddly I'm not surprised you cut one open. Did your OCD get the better of you? Ha, i should have done that with my old hose

Comment

Lol, no it was when I was experimenting with making the PAS assistance adjustable. I was curious if there was a restrictor or not so I cut a gnarly old pair of 7A hoses open to see. Still got the bits in a box somewhere as proof
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Hahaha why am I not surprised.... Lol. How important do you reckon it is to get one put in if people get this hose made? Surely it's a fairly good idea to prolong the hose life. Surely it prevents rubbing through?

Comment

Yeah worth doing i'd say, it would be easy to do. There is basically a reinforcement ring that stops the inner hose from getting crushed when the outer ferrule is swaged on. If they carefully cut off the OE ferrule they can reuse the original reinforcement ring
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Fair enough. I may take my old one apart for fun anyway lol

Comment

Blimey Chris you don't have much luck with PAS hoses !

Comment

Haha no I don't seem to bud. Shame really as I have spent shed loads of time and money on the car over the last 18 months including the PAS hose fitting lol. Just when I thought I would be getting back to using the car this weekend too haha. No such luck lol. Anyway, glad to see you on here. Fleeting visit?

Comment

Originally posted by Christophski View Post
                          Haha no I don't seem to bud. Shame really as I have spent shed loads of time and money on the car over the last 18 months including the PAS hose fitting lol. Just when I thought I would be getting back to using the car this weekend too haha. No such luck lol. Anyway, glad to see you on here. Fleeting visit?

Well glad to hear you're still going with the Audi. I still use the forum, it's very interesting for info and I love the Audis too much to stay away, business is good, got plenty on, I will hopefully get my own car finished at some point, I have a plan to use an ABY in something too

Comment

Glad your still about and keeping well and that business is good. Always glad to hear that in this climate. Your own car? I hope you mean that monster 309! Hows that going? An ABY into something.... do tell.

Comment

With a bit of patience and a friendly hydraulics shop:, both the power steering and brake hoses can be re-swaged with the standard internals to a custom length Thats what i did on the Golf). On the steering pipe i used 6mm od nylon pipe to replace the old stuff, i then glued the steel inner support onto the nylon to stop in moving whilst we crimped an open ended ferrule on the outside of the pipe to locate it.

Its a bit of a faff on so get the pipe off Alex

Cheers Baz
                              The ONLY S2 Golf!
                              http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19402
                              10.42@138mph
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wnkkOfFpXg

Comment

Working...
                              X