Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Well following my recent issues with the oil cooler several months ago and getting the S2 back on the road I had been over to MRC for the RR day and all was fine, cruising along in traffic on the way home and heard a metallic clunk then the engine locked up so the engine will be coming out for investigation and starting to build a list of parts I will need for the rebuild and recommendation on where to purchase.

Parts needed I can think off straight off:

Head bolts - ARP or Stock?
    OE Metal Headgasket
    Gasket set for head, EM and IM
    RS2 Bearing shells
    Rear crank seal
    Timing belt
    SQ snub mount - Got already to fit.
    Fit oil cyclone and return to sump.
    Stronger con rods, recommendations please..
    Piston rings
    PAS pump - needs replacing
    3B Flywheel - Wanted request coming soon
    release bearing
    performance clutch - recommendations and pricing please..

Jobs to do while the engine is out:

Treat rusty bits in engine bay, and maybe get it resprayed too.
    Been looking into the POR15 treatment for it whilst the engine is out.
    Im sure there is a stack of parts I have missed off the list.

Any tips just post them up.

thanks
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

If painting the engine bay have a word with Ish at Quattro Coachworks he'll deal with the rust at the same time.(he's also in beds )

If going over 400hp ARP's highly recommended. Rods I always use PEC slightly dearer than most generic h-beams but very happy with the machining quality and they are very well matched sets when it comes to balancing.

Bearings sputters, Headgasket set victor reinz, get a conversion set too as this will sort all your gaskets for the bottom end. If sorting big ends be stupid to skimp on a set of mains and thrusts.

Clutch all down to power bracket and driveability preference.
    UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

if you want a victor reinz head set or just gasket set email our lass dads shop on eBay his user name is eemotorspares. If you get no joy PM me with what you want and I'll sort a price delivered for you.
      Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Rods now ordered, Just found parts list from the last time I rebuilt the engine too.

Where is good place to purchase ARP head bolts?
        Greg

Comment

I hope the car comes back stronger Greg, sorry to hear of the failure it was going so well at MRC!

Comment

Good luck with the rebuild Greg. It's such a shame the engine has gone again. Your car sounded lush on the way out of MRC on Sunday too.
            SS

Comment

Sorry to hear this Greg. As others have said, it looked, ran, and sounded so good at MRC at the weekend, a top example

Good luck with the rebuild.
              Past: S2 ABY coupe RS2 spec with lots of mods, S4 B5 saloon, RS6 C5 saloon, S8 D2 FL, RS4 B7 saloon, S4 B6 avant

Present: S4 B8 avant, MRC Stage 2

Comment

Hey Greg,

Shame I wasn't up on sunday to see your car run. Always interesting to see what a similar spec car is making on the dyno too....

Gutted to read about the failure, I'm sure we'll all be intrigued to see what the 'post mortem' drags up as a reason for failure. I hope there's no damage to the block/bores.

Looks like you have a good shopping list, don't forget all those nuts, bolts and small gaskets you will need - I have put multiple ordered with QC, popped to GSF and a couple from 034 too. If I'd had my list more complete and not tried to save a few pennies here and there I'd have saved alot in shipping

Will you be doing the rebuild or is that going to be outsourced? I am really happy with the way i did mine - as much as right now I feel like I wish it was at a garage, who would just sort it for me - there's some real satisfaction in getting your hands dirty and learning a boat load about the car.

ARPs can be gotten from 034 for $180 plus shipping, if you have anything else to get there it's not bad - even with shipping you're looking at about £140 (they'll sort duty valuation if you ask nice).

Is this a precursor to uprate the turbo at the same time? I'll give a review on my southbend clutch in the coming weeks, and the replacement K26/7 that I plan on swapping over for my MD147 once it is run in.
                AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Always nice to build a fresh motor but disappointing your engine had to fail like that, worth spending the money on a few extra bits though as you never know how carried away you may get with the bolt on tuning in the future

Originally posted by RWD19T View Post
                  If painting the engine bay have a word with Ish at Quattro Coachworks he'll deal with the rust at the same time.(he's also in beds )

If going over 400hp ARP's highly recommended. Rods I always use PEC slightly dearer than most generic h-beams but very happy with the machining quality and they are very well matched sets when it comes to balancing.

Bearings sputters, Headgasket set victor reinz, get a conversion set too as this will sort all your gaskets for the bottom end. If sorting big ends be stupid to skimp on a set of mains and thrusts.

Clutch all down to power bracket and driveability preference.
                  I hope the PEC Audi rods are better than the ones they just supplied a friend of mine

Cheap chinese stuff with not a lot of quality control is the impression I've got in the past so interesting that you have such a high opinion of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                    Hey Greg,

Shame I wasn't up on sunday to see your car run. Always interesting to see what a similar spec car is making on the dyno too....

Gutted to read about the failure, I'm sure we'll all be intrigued to see what the 'post mortem' drags up as a reason for failure. I hope there's no damage to the block/bores.

Looks like you have a good shopping list, don't forget all those nuts, bolts and small gaskets you will need - I have put multiple ordered with QC, popped to GSF and a couple from 034 too. If I'd had my list more complete and not tried to save a few pennies here and there I'd have saved alot in shipping

Will you be doing the rebuild or is that going to be outsourced? I am really happy with the way i did mine - as much as right now I feel like I wish it was at a garage, who would just sort it for me - there's some real satisfaction in getting your hands dirty and learning a boat load about the car.

ARPs can be gotten from 034 for $180 plus shipping, if you have anything else to get there it's not bad - even with shipping you're looking at about £140 (they'll sort duty valuation if you ask nice).

Is this a precursor to uprate the turbo at the same time? I'll give a review on my southbend clutch in the coming weeks, and the replacement K26/7 that I plan on swapping over for my MD147 once it is run in.
                    Yeah i'll keep you posted on the post mortem. The car is at my dads garage now and the engine will be coming out shortly. Gonna try get on and do as much as I can, but realistically I dont think it will be on the road for at least a year now while I get stuff sorted out.

I suspect it is either the woodruff key on the crank, bearing shell slipped or oil pump failure but will see when the engine comes out.

Originally posted by Jonnybravo View Post
                    Always nice to build a fresh motor but disappointing your engine had to fail like that, worth spending the money on a few extra bits though as you never know how carried away you may get with the bolt on tuning in the future

I hope the PEC Audi rods are better than the ones they just supplied a friend of mine

Cheap chinese stuff with not a lot of quality control is the impression I've got in the past so interesting that you have such a high opinion of them.
                    Ive goto be careful not to go too overboard though. but will make a few tweaks along the way
                    Greg

Comment

Sorry to hear about the failure Greg. Glad to hear you are rebuilding and the best of luck with that. I'm sure you and your dad will do a good job and the car will be more enjoyable than ever.
                      Cheers
                      Chris
                      Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
                      20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Not much of an update at the moment because I havent had time to get the engine out yet. But i have new rods ready and waiting now Also had to try sort out the golf yesterday because it had a hissy fit and didnt want to start. Took the back seat out and checked fuel pump connector and it sprung back into life again.
                        Greg

Comment

will be watching with interest Greg, looks like my big ends are going too so some work to be done
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Have you considered a change of turbo at the same time Greg?

Following my mapping experience yesterday, I would if you have the spare cash...
                            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Ross,

what happened with the mapping? I am considering a new turbo, but its difficult to justify when the current one is in very good condition. Depends what I could get for it towards a new one I guess.

Once I get the engine apart and work out what has broken and cost for it I can decide what else I can tweak along the way. Got myself a budget in mind, but also need to buy new AP Discs and new wheels for it too.
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X