Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S6 diff lock

Hi,
    I'm sure this has been covered before but how does the diff locking work and can it be controlled/modified on a S6 2.2 1996?
    Thanks

Originally posted by moggies View Post
    Hi,
    I'm sure this has been covered before but how does the diff locking work and can it be controlled/modified on a S6 2.2 1996?
    Thanks
    It is a mechanical device driven by vacuum actuator.On s6 first it has to be added then modified
    Only s4 had that locking.Is the s6 working with brakes to remove one wheel turning and one no on traction?

Comment

before the 97 c4 chassi... its the same part and diff like audi 100 ,audi 200, audi v8, and s4...44chassi and d11chassi

Comment

audi v8 had something different than others
        5vtq gte

Comment

Just found this http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/170940.phtml
          Last edited by moggies; 26 November 2012, 21:36.

Comment

I wrote that rear diff lock post. I was away for 3 wks, otherwise I would have linked you to the post when you posted your question. A 1996 UrS6 has EDL (electronic diff "lock") which is really the ABS system putting the brake on the spinning wheel, not a lock at all.
            RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Ah I see, that will be why its really disappointing compared to my B2 80 quattro I had years ago, which was fantastic on snow.
              I guess that's progress!??
              Only option then is to find an old car again with proper diff locks for when it snows.
              Thanks for your help

Comment

Ah I see, that will be why its really disappointing compared to my B2 80 quattro I had years ago, which was fantastic on snow.
                I guess that's progress!??
                Only option then is to find an old car again with proper diff locks for when it snows.
                Thanks for your help
                Swap in a rear diff from a 100 s4 (early s6??)
                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Sorry, i know this is an old thread but would an S4 rear diff just fit straight in, or are the prop and driveshaft flanges different.
                  I either relist the car for sale or make it more countryside useable with diff locks.

Comment

Lockable Rear Differential Controls, the whys/hows for the 92-94 UrS4, 95 UrS6, S2 an

Sorry, i know this is an old thread but would an S4 rear diff just fit straight in, or are the prop and driveshaft flanges different. I either relist the car for sale or make it more countryside useable with diff locks.
                    Physically it would fit and all the drive shafts (in and out are the same). The issue would be whether it would be compatible with the EDL system (I think it should be most of the time). The difficulty would be all the hardware and wiring. But if you found a suitable donor C4, it would be easier.

Note: The rear diff has to be a 37/9 crown/pinion (rules out the V6 auto box rear diffs). That said, the control hardware and wiring would be the same for a C4 100 with V6 auto and locking rear diff. (Just not the diff itself). Manual C4 V6 quattro rear diff would work as long as it is an AAT, like the C4 UrS4s and early UrS6s without the EDL.

I think that this would help you:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/170940.phtml
                    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks Dave, fantastic amount of information

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                        The issue would be whether it would be compatible with the EDL system (I think it should be most of the time). The difficulty would be all the hardware and wiring. But if you found a suitable donor C4, it would be easier.
                        No issue with EDL, confirmed on snow, black ice, normal icetrack, tarmac and in pretty much all the weather we have had in Estonia during last few years.

Apart from the Diff you would also need wiring harness and vaccum lines (one extra relay, ABS+foglight button would be even better to be able to switch ABS/EDL off). Cleaning up the old harness, re-wraping it and labeling takes around couple of hours, depending on how many distractions () you have.
                        Installation is dead simple, tap the T slip into HVAC vaccum reservoir and if you are extra paranoid just add another vacuum reservoir under the rear seat. Connect the wires and done.

Just did this wiring harness for one A6q, extra light will go to the cluster, doubling up from the lock sensor light.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I was a bit concerned about the lack of manual diff lock in my A6,but the E-diff thing works really well, never got stuck in the snow anyway
                          sigpic
                          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by Zoig View Post
                            No issue with EDL, confirmed on snow, black ice, normal icetrack, tarmac and in pretty much all the weather we have had in Estonia during last few years.

Apart from the Diff you would also need wiring harness and vaccum lines (one extra relay, ABS+foglight button would be even better to be able to switch ABS/EDL off). Cleaning up the old harness, re-wraping it and labeling takes around couple of hours, depending on how many distractions () you have.
                            Installation is dead simple, tap the T slip into HVAC vaccum reservoir and if you are extra paranoid just add another vacuum reservoir under the rear seat. Connect the wires and done.

Just did this wiring harness for one A6q, extra light will go to the cluster, doubling up from the lock sensor light.
                            Thanks, ill have to seek out a donor for all the bits.

The edl works ok, but not like a diff lock, sometimes the old methods are better

Comment

Thanks, ill have to seek out a donor for all the bits.

The edl works ok, but not like a diff lock, sometimes the old methods are better
                              I have got a donor car

Comment

Working...
                              X