Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projekt Alpinweiss V - Rebuilding the new engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projekt Alpinweiss V - Rebuilding the new engine...

Thought the following might be of some use to anyone considering this:

So, it's that time...

After finding that cylinder 4 was at the lowest allowable compression by the book, I decided to start an engine build to uprate things to cope with approx 450bhp, which has always been my final goal...

So, 18 months ago, I bought a spare, decent ABY block in the hope that I could avoid needing to get it rebored... anyway, that didn't quite work Cylinder 5 was 2/3 worn, so I've decided to rebore it. Due to the machine shop being stubborn, I can only go 1 size up without having to pay £100 extra, so I've gone 81.5mm.

I've got a lightened 7A flywheel, SRE organic clutch, steel front cam gear and full Victor Reinz gaskets sat in the cupboard.

I've gone with FCP Engineering for their price and have got their 8.5:1 pistons, super-strong X-beam rods and ACL bearings on the way, for under £1000 the lot, delivered!

The engine is with Aelred, chosen because he's just up the road and very experienced, and will be bored out when the pistons arrive.

After that, I've got to wait for the rods to come in stock and then it'll be balanced (preferably zero balanced) and assembled.

I've included a head rebuild in the cost and have found what looks to be an excellent AAN head for sensible money, complete with valves etc. I've sent this to JP to be checked over and then I'm going to have a basic rebuild with possibly multi-angle valve seats and inf I'm feeling flush, a little tickly of the exhaust ports.

Recent work has included a coil conversion and I'm hoping to sort a prj RS2 chipset with adjusted dwell time and launch control. Then there's the custom suspension setup, K24R prototype parts and maybe some coilovers...

Final thing to do is to get some new engine mounts in there and finish it all off with paint and a clean where applicable.

Expecting not to get any change from £5k for the lot, minus whatever I get back for any parts I can sell along the way, so let's call it £4.5k for a complete engine rebuild to 450bhp without having the car off the road for any more than a week.

So, that's about what the car is worth then... Including the suspension, it'll be nearer £8k, so that's some serious investment but I still look at the old girl and smile and the prospect of a HX35S, GTX3071 or GT3086 with well north of 400bhp makes me smile even more. Plus, as proved at Combe, the suspension upgrades have made for a very capable car!

I am keeping a full spreadsheet of my costs, so I will share this when it's all done, to give a clear idea of what you're looking at!

Here's what it's all about:-

Attached Files
    Last edited by Rusty; 25 November 2014, 13:14.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

sounds good mate.

you will hear the ringing of no need to do all that for 450hp but if thats what you want go for it. sounds a good motor spec and makes it good for a few years to come.

final goal lol. hp addiction to come will mean its 600hp next time

Comment

Indeed. It's as much about making sure that the motor is under-stressed, so that it's suitable for track driving as hard as I can push myself, as much as for going to Tesco to get a couple of bottles for a Saturday night.

It's only on an RS2 turbo at the mo but ideally, I'll get that upgraded in the short term and run it as hard and early as I can.

A short intake and bigger IC is really required from the next step and the EM would need to be swapped to a T3 flange... the rest is pretty much there.
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

nice project rusty
        audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
        TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
        AEM W/M injection

Comment

Sounds like a awesome build and well thought out. I'm just rebuilding my Leon Cupra 2.0tfis after a melted piston. I've got about £4k in that too, but I've replaced a lot of things as there was swarf everywhere. The block need to be lined on one of the bores. I've gone Wossner pistons and ZRP rods so good for over 600bhp.

I've done it all in my garage at home and it's been a long winded thing. If you can get it all done and change the engine over in a week that would be brilliant.

Good luck with it all mate.
          Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Nice one Andy, the old girl will be flying

I'd like to build an engine from the ground up one day, lightened and really well balanced

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Look forward to seeing it progress mate, pretty much what I am doing with mine albeit in a different order
              The balancing makes big difference. Just curious, how come you chose ACL bearings?
              Are you trying to bite the steering wheel in that picture?
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                head down and nose up...looks like a hot lap in the making.

Good luck Rusty, am jealous that she is getting that sort of attention/investment. I'd be happy with paint just now
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Now that's some love for the old girl (y)

Comment

ACL were chosen from FCP for price and the fact that I could get it all in one go. No other reason.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      That made me laugh out loud

Nice to see your doing a proper job of this Andy, I'd be going to the same lengths if I had the same sort of power goals. Good luck with the build
                      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

This will be an awesome one to follow, i think your car will be pretty nuts with its current suspension setup pushing 450bhp / 600Nm with it being so kitted out and lightweight.

I very much look forward to it
                        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Hunger... STRIKES!!!

It's not really lightweight anymore, well since 2 years ago when the carpet and interior had to be put back in to make space in the house

Still, goes well enough and once the engine is in, I can start going for more power too. Not sure when that'll be, due to finances but wait and see!
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Sounds like a nice solid engine you can totally abuse without worrying about it.

What clearances do you have to run with the FCP pistons?

What timescale are you planning on doing this over?
                            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Not got the tech specs on the pistons yet. I picked up the spare engine last July, and Aelred picked it up this August, so it's going to take as long as it takes. Ideally, I'll have it in and bedded in before ADI next year.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                              X