Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Question

Hello all,

Apologies for asking for help on my first post... I am looking to fit mkIV golf seats into my b4 Audi 80 tdi. I'd like a spare set of front seat sub frames to save chopping my existing seats that are in good condition and I am wondering if mk3 golf seat sub frames are exactly the same, as I am struggling to find an Audi set?

If anyone happens to have a suitable set from a worn interior I would be interested. I'm based in Devon.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi mate

I think mk3 frames do fit, but need a little adjustment. If you ping gavs20v a PM he'll be able to advise you, he's got some experience with this sort of thing. Mk4 seats themselves might be a little on the big side, but I'm sure they can be made to fit!

Comment

Thank you very much! I'll send him a message.

Yes I think they will be a tight fit but they seem to measure up. I imagine if anything catches it will be something like the height adjust lever which can probably be ground back a little and re-finished.

Comment

The fittings are the same but the plastic trim can drag on the plastic sill covers

Comment

Thank you that's just what I needed to know. The only thing now is apparently mk3 golf gti and cl seat sub frames are different.

Comment

With some chopping and welding to the front mounting point Mk4 seats (or bora, a3, s3 etc) can be fitted. Depends how involved you want to get.

Comment

Mk3 subframes fit but leave the seat sitting at an awkward angle. One of the rear legs needs either be ding or chopping and re welding.
              S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

think gti is lower. sports frame.

Comment

Brilliant, thank you very much for all of your help! Really kind of you all!

I'm picking up some gti sub frames tomorrow to use and will let you know how it works out when it's done (in a few weeks I imagine). I think I just need the central rail from the mk3 to weld to the mk4 seat, as it looks like the rear legs measure the same and I suspect the wheels on the mk4 can be slimmed down to fit the runners in the car.

Comment

How did this turn out in the end? I bought Chuckie's MK3 Recaros and need to fit them to my CQ so it seems a bit of leg bending will be required.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    1990 CQ20v
                    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Sorry I never updated this... Bear in mind I put mkIV seats into my b4 audi 80, rather than the mkIII seats you are using. The mkIII seats are really similar to the b4 audi seats, but the other posters have suggested the rear leg length is longer. The mkIV seats are quite different, but still use a similar centre rail setup with two rear legs. Bear in mind I'm not very experienced or knowledgeable with working on cars so the other members will have better advice I'm sure.

I bought a pair of mkIII golf gti seat frames from a breaker (they were much easier to find than audi ones for me) for parts and managed to find a skilled and generous freelance welder/restorer in my area, who was really doing me a favour and welded them up as it took some time. It all worked out well - the central rail was cut off from both pairs of seats, and then the mkIII centre rail (this is exactly the same as the audi 80 rail) was carefully welded (to avoid burning the seat) into place on the mkIV seats.

The rear legs weren't modified at all... The mkIV rear legs have a rubber wheel on each side, and these can be ground down a touch (a little width and diameter) and on my car they fit perfectly into the runners with no further modification. Just make sure you keep trying them in the car and don't grind too much off or the seat will probably have some wobble to it.

What I was worried about was whether the seat would sit at a good angle/height, as the rear legs on the mkIV seats are quite hefty and looked like they would be laborious to alter. I was pleased to find that the seats sit at a perfect angle, and they are the same height as the originals (I'm tall so this was important). The height and slide adjustment all works, and I could still fit the rubber grommet things that take up slack in the centre rail where it mounts to the car.

The seats are so much more comfortable and the change has made a big difference to me. If you are using mkIII seats into a b4 CQ it should be considerably more straight forward, and if I had found some at a reasonable price I would definitely have gone this route. If the rear legs need shortening I would personally prefer cutting and welding with perhaps a little reinforcement, as I don't like the idea of denting load bearing tube but I imagine welding the rear legs will still be much easier than switching the centre rails like the mkIV seats require.
                      Last edited by sjp001; 5 November 2015, 23:13.

Comment

That's awesome. Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm sure other people will also find this thread in the future and find the information really useful.
                        Sounds like your solution worked really well and if anyone else picks up mk4 seats they should be confident in knowing what needs to be modded. I'm glad I got the Mk3 seats for simplicity and I'll find out next saturday, when i'm in Germany, what needs to be done. Thankfully I'll be with a highly skilled car restorer so I'm sure he will think nothing of cutting, bracing and welding the a leg on each chair.
                        When I have done this I will report back and add info to this thread.
                        cheers
                        nj
                        1990 CQ20v

Comment

Good luck with it, and it sounds like you have a good plan worked out. Look forward to hearing how you get on!

Comment

I'm new to this issue and you helped me.

Comment

Probably worth me adding my findings to this thread. My friend put in the Mk3 Golf Recaros into my CQ20v and they fit straight in, but another friend in Germany (before I collected the car) did me a favour by making some adjustments. I think he drilled a few holes so the seat could be centred better as they weren't facing directly forwards. As things are now the seats are great but I would like to have some height adjustment because they are a little too high for me (i'm 5' 10" ish, which is 177cm for anyone not stuck in the dark ages). Ideally, I would like to get a pair of B4 seat bases and fit them so they have full height adjustment. This isn't at the top of my to do list right now though. I'd be happy just to find time to tinker with it these days.
                              1990 CQ20v

Comment

Working...
                              X