Coupe windscreen refitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe windscreen refitting

So surprise surprise my coupe isn't watertight. 99% sure its the windscreen that's the issue and will be getting it sorted come the new year. My questions to you gurus are, what sort of job is it to remove the screen? How much for a new screen and has anyone got any recommendations for companies in Cornwall as I've read it isn't a simple job.

TIA

Cadan

I removed the a pillar trims myself bought the rivets and tape in preparation.
    I had national windscreens from Worcester do mine I paid circa 250 and it's a good fit.

Comment

absolute PITA to do, usually bodged because the fitter cant be bothered to replace all the rivets etc and if you are really lucky they will mark the paintwork too

I would try to ensure it IS actually the screen which isn't water tight before getting the screen changed. Where is the water showing up inside the car?
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
        absolute PITA to do, usually bodged because the fitter cant be bothered to replace all the rivets etc and if you are really lucky they will mark the paintwork too

I would try to ensure it IS actually the screen which isn't water tight before getting the screen changed. Where is the water showing up inside the car?
        There's a fair bit of rust along the top of the screen and behind the seal, I'm assuming this is pushing the seal off as I get drips from behind the trim on the inside. I've just read Rusty's thread on the scuttle panel being the cause of his leaks and mine is in poor condition so am trying to source one of them at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
          I removed the a pillar trims myself bought the rivets and tape in preparation.
          I had national windscreens from Worcester do mine I paid circa 250 and it's a good fit.
          Rivets and tape from Dealers?

Comment

If Launceston isn't too much of a trek, try Steve at Western Windscreens. Top bloke, and knows what he's doing.

http://www.western-windscreens.co.uk...d-manager.html

(I have no business interest in Western Windscreens. Just recommending a good firm, plus I know him personally).

Comment

Best bet for a good job is to remove the A-pillar trims yourself as Ste suggested, this is the time consuming and too often bodged part of the job.
              You can even remove the screen yourself without too much effort. Give you a chance then to tidy up any corrosion etc around the edge before getting the new screen fitted by a pro with the right tools. Then you can refit the A-pillar trims to your satisfaction using the right non-setting mastic, rivets, tape etc
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                You can even remove the screen yourself without too much effort.
                Have you managed to do this?

Comment

Windscreen replace

had similar problem on my aby s2 rust bubbles on top of windscreen on drivers side so I ask my mate to have a look and he said he's surprised it's not rotten so got him to remove and refit windscreen all leak and rust free

Comment

Originally posted by Glassman View Post
                    Have you managed to do this?
                    Not on a coupe. Have removed a bonded sceen before though, not hard with a cutting wire, as long as you plan to bin the screen... I would not fancy it if the screen needed to be kept
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Best bet for a good job is to remove the A-pillar trims yourself as Ste suggested, this is the time consuming and too often bodged part of the job.
                      You can even remove the screen yourself without too much effort. Give you a chance then to tidy up any corrosion etc around the edge before getting the new screen fitted by a pro with the right tools. Then you can refit the A-pillar trims to your satisfaction using the right non-setting mastic, rivets, tape etc
                      This was kind of my plan, I've just been reading the start of your rebuild thread again to try and glean a bit of info from that. No doubt that will come in handy when I come to do the job. I suspect the top seal is fubar'd due to the corrosion and being forced out of shape for so long.

Comment

Not on a coupe. Have removed a bonded sceen before though, not hard with a cutting wire, as long as you plan to bin the screen... I would not fancy it if the screen needed to be kept
                        Fair enough.

The level of difficulty varies from car to car. That said, much depends on the way each screen is fitted too and the S2 is a particularly difficult one to cut out, period. Many fitters struggle with these owing to how flat they can be to the body. During the nineties, the (windscreen replacement) trade was still learning about bonded applications and how to remove them. Piano wire (or braided picture wire) was available, but an alarming number of employed fitters went at it with an extended Stanley knife. It wasn't a pretty site and a lot of corners (as well as dashboards) were cut. Things didn't get much better when it came to fitting either. The consequence of bad removal (and bad fitting) meant that the next time around was more of the same.

Techniques and tools have since evolved. Unfortunately, attitudes haven't and it's not that easy to find the right attitude, or an experienced hand. But they are out there!

Comment

Working...
                        X