X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery holes causing leaks....!

Hi all

Is it me or is it a design fault?
    I have 2 mystery holes which audi themselves dont understand, doesnt fit with their diagram of the car..

The holes are located under the front windscreen pillars on both sides...see picture of left hand side.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AB5oqs3qGyjGJN

They are seriously leaking rain into both front footwells, on drivers side it drips down onto bonnet lever.

I have done isolated waterpouring tests so i know its def these holes. Ive read all other posts relating to leaks and none are relevant to me, everything is fine, pollen filter etc.

My mechanic, Dialynx and Audi have all said block the holes...... So thats what im gona do but out of interest has anyone else come across these holes?
    I wanted to believe there was something missing, or a slid down seal that would direct water away,that should be there but apparently not.....

I am also getting water running into back footwells but ive tracked that down to door seals. Drivers side the water runs down the inner part of door seal til instead of running out it runs into footwell. I beleive on the passenger side back foot well the water settles on top of the door seal, and also runs into foot well.

Feedback appreciated, thanks guys
    Last edited by FRANK NITTI; 27 November 2014, 18:27.
    This was my boss and I know for a fact if he was around today he would be driving a sick ABY armour plated S2 1500 bhp....
    sigpic

Your link doesn't work for me
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

sorry try this

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AB5oqs3qGyjGJN
      This was my boss and I know for a fact if he was around today he would be driving a sick ABY armour plated S2 1500 bhp....
      sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the club!
        1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
        2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
        2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Weld them up!

Comment

Hi Frank

Are we talking about this hole? If so this is just a drain which runs into the space where the door hinges are, it should just drain out the bottom of the door and over the sill. It's either getting past the door seal somehow or maybe there's a leak between the panels which join here, similar to the leak I had on my avant but at the corner where the inner wing joins the body of the car and the plenum panel. I can see the same hole as in the picture on my coupe and there is no water leaking into the car (at the moment! )

I would take the glove boxes out both sides of the dash and have a look under while someone runs a hosepipe into the hole, hopefully you can see where it's coming in, I used my iphone camera toi get a view round the corner to where the leak was, it was only a small drip but after a few days of rain I would get several inches of water in the car.

Also any decent amount of water in the front of the car will find it's way into the back footwells.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

problem area

Yes J, that is the hole,I do understand what u mean where it shoud drain out to,but instead it s draining right into the car down the bonnet lever.scratch:Some sort ov guidance down that hole is either not there or out ov line.

I might end up removing the wheels,then the black cover inside ov the wing then hope 4 the best

Thanx J.
              sigpic

Comment

Firewall grommet on bonnet pull cable ?

"hole" looks factory / fine to me.

Original or replacement windscreen ?

Comment

Yes, I'd fit a new bonnet pull grommet anyway.

If it's not the grommet (it's apparently happening both sides) then it must be a gap in the seam sealer somewhere, like I had on my Avant.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I have had issues with water ingress in both my 80s and my coupe. The coupe was worse than the 80s, but in all 3 of them I made a little aluminium gutter to direct water away from a problem area near the fuse box. It works fantastic and stopped a leak in my current car.

Any water that runs off the windscreen flows down the gutter straight to the hole in the bulkhead. Bit ghetto but it works well!
                    Attached Files

Comment

a very simple and clever idea indeed. well done that man . .

1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bikerjim View Post
                          Bit ghetto but it works well!
                          Thanks for sharing.

A case of "any port in a storm".

As long as it works.

Comment

Check this pic of the same area on my coupe but with the bonnet up. It looks like there's a gap between the 2 panels, inner wing and plenum. I picked at it and the seam sealer just fell out, I'll need to investigate further.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

The small crescent shaped dark area is a hole through to the inside of the car I think.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X