Gearbox-Replace or recondition??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox-Replace or recondition??

Still having major issues with the gear change in my car which is getting alot worse.Hopefully in the next week i might get a slot with someone who call tell me exactly what the problem is.
    If it is diagnosed as a terminal gbox fault what is the best way foward?
    It is a lot cheaper to stick a second hand box in but my fear is that it might have a finite life as most of these boxes have high miles on them, and you really do not know whether they have been abused.Having done a g,box change before I know its alot of hassle to do but doable
    Do I future proof it by having it professionally reconditioned or just chuck another in and keep my balls crossed that it stays good.
    Seeing as the car is RS2+ spec,it is chucking a bit more Hp down.Or do I find a more robust alternative.
    I really do not want to change the box out again for a long time after this.
    Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
    Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
    Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

I recon 90% of used boxes are ****ed in one way or another. I'd rebuild and have a known good unit
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Agree with Alex. Unless you can get a box from a known gentle driver with only 13miles on it, it is surely gonna have been given some abuse. Get it opened up, diagnose the issues and put it right. Then you have it future proofed for a while. Recently had mine done. It is lovely now (well, as lovely as an Agricultural Audi box can be)

Comment

How much did that cost if you do not mind mate?
        Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
        Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
        Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

Comment

I also got a new clutch at the same time and i think from memory the bill was about £800 inc VAT, so cannot say exactly what the cost of repair was for just the box without digging out the bill. I guess there is a fair amount of labour involved and new oil along with whatever components need replacing. The main thing I needed was new pinion bearing and it took ages to come from Germany and was about £170 I think he said. There were some other things too but one of the gears was salvaged by his machine work. In the 5sp box, the gears cannot be bought separately, so if you buy them new, it is the whole set and is crazy expensive.

I guess the cost will be governed by what work is needed but if you can get the box off yourself and take it to the recon guy, it will reduce your cost. I just left the car with him for weeks as I can't and could not be arsed with removing it and taking it to Birmingham.

Good luck.

Comment

Are 6speed more difficult to recon due to some bearings being less common or NLA?
            Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Future proof and get it rebuilt , however I do have a spare box if you just want to swap it out and get your one rebuilt at a later date
              Gav
              S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

before I had the work done, I was under the impression that the 5spd box components were more freely available but this did not seem to be the case. Alex advised me on a few things prior to me getting the work done and I recall him saying that some bearings for the 6spd were very hard to come by. I could be wrong though.

Gavs idea is a good one. I nearly bought a 2nd hand box to take to the recon guy which I then would have had my mechanic swap with my knackered one but just opted to drop the car off as I did not want to drive it anymore as soon as I realised there was a problem. The transmission guy said it was very close to totally letting go which would have caused catastrophic failure. Moral of the story, as soon as it starts getting grumpy, sort it out. Mine was making so little noise that the repair shop doubted me at first. I insisted they take it back out for a drive to listen again and upon opening it up, they could not believe the wear on the bearing.

With that in mind, if yours is really f*!ked, it might be better to get a known working box and have that reconned, as it will likely need less work to have it back as new again, if that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                X