Nostalgic sounds from your youth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgic sounds from your youth.

After hearing Michael S2 new exhaust today it reminded me of the base tones of this car from my youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07rr8PveX_c

This has got to be one of the best exhaust notes ever and all from a Triumph 2.5 straight six.Awesome sound. And it's OEM Nice!!

Which led me onto this TV series from 1971 and its equally unforgettably awesome theme tune, which might be the reason why i love cars so much being indoctrinated by this hypnotising tune and the car chase i watched aged 5 Awesome!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t99QQIXez4M
    Last edited by Vorsprung durch Technik; 28 November 2014, 23:10.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

you need to tune in to this thread on classic audi, old chum!

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ad.php?t=25758

1997 Audi S6 - The Purple Helmet!

Comment

Yes i spotted your post a couple months ago whilst trawling over there.Gave me goose bumps to hear the theme tune.

Anyway... i am surprised the lack of attention given this site is supposed to be for petrol head lovers albeit the S2. That Triumph 2.5 straight six engine/exhaust note is awesome and has been described as the next best thing to some famous classic ferrari i have already forgotten its name.
      94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

aye, you're getting to that age too!!

Comment

The most memorable sound from my youth was in the late 1960s @ Lions Drag Strip in Southern California. Also included with the sound was the intoxicating smells of burning leaded gasoline, alcohol, castor oil & nitromethane. Back then you only had a chain link fence separating you from the staging area & starting line. I was standing about 20 feet from a nitromethane burning top fuel dragster when it launched. Even with my hands over my ears it was deafening. The percussive waves of sound radiated thru me & could be described as being trapped in a microwave oven. The ground shook so hard under my feet that it literally vibrated me away from my initial position. My eyes watered & I was enveloped in a cloud of tire rubber & unburnt nitromethane exhaust fumes. Heady stuff for a 10 year old.
          "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

I like your story and being a 10 year old that would have made you feel very alive. Awesome! I guess you must like to feel the noise of your cars like some people say they like to feel their music.
            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Very catchy tune, the tune to the persuaders. Never heard it before

Comment

Hi Bart this was a super cool tune and imagine what it felt like in 1971

Hows it going?
                94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Vorsprung durch Technik View Post
                  I like your story and being a 10 year old that would have made you feel very alive. Awesome! I guess you must like to feel the noise of your cars like some people say they like to feel their music.
                  Thanks. Yes there are certain mechanical sounds that bring a smile to my face.
                  The startup sound a V12 engine makes. Both cars & aircraft.
                  An Audi 5-cylinder at 7000+ rpm.
                  Any V8 with an 180 degree (flat) crankshaft. Think Lotus & Ferrari.
                  At Indy in 2001 when Mika won. The sound of his Mercedes Benz engine going down the front straight at over 20,000 rpm (Thank you Beryllium pistons) sounded like sheet metal being shredded.
                  Yamaha TZ 750.
                  BSA Goldstar. One cylinder & 500cc's. My first dirtbike.
                  "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

Thats quite an impressive list you have there. I still miss my Triumph Gt6 Mk3 with it's 2.0litre straight six engine. Also loved my 1982 B2 audi 1.9 5cyl top of range saloon..That car had a glorious 10v 5 cylinder purr being a carb. Best for me is driving a Jaguar E type series 3 roadster around the block aged 19 in 84.Never forget the quad carbed 5.3 v12 engine. I remember sitting in it and the guy who owned it was a Journalist from New Zealand of all places living on Harrow-on-the-hill just outside London (very posh) and he said go on turn it on.So i did but i couldn't hear a thing.I only knew it was running when he said rev it. Needless to say the car was awesome to drive.A mint medium blue 1974 car he soon after sold to a guy in germany.And the guy only knew me from the Harrow School fishing lake as he used to run around it every day and used to see us fishing. You don't get people like that anymore.
                    94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Bart,i can't reply to your private message as it says you don't accept.Thats crazy right? Maybe your inbox is full.
                      94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

sounds I remember that stand out are

mk1 xr2
                        tranny van
                        rs turbo

back then it was a ford or a Vauxhall round our way

Comment

here are a few sounds that bring me right back to that age when you found yourself torn between your hornby deltic train set and club international magazine . .

goosebumps at the ready, chaps . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV7Ufxmmc4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnEhwmpjXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyl9enDp8Ls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDIYOiQUi2s

Comment

Just gone through them quickly craig and i don't' recognise them except last one.Good tune. Unfortunately i was happily AWOL in Africa from 79- 82 so missed the early depeche mode. I do have a 12" by them.Will put up later.
                            94 2.6 80 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by geneandbolly View Post
                              here are a few sounds that bring me right back to that age when .....
                              .....when Jimmy Saville did T.O.T.P.

.......You've been quiet of late.........what you up to ?!

Comment

Working...
                              X