This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Fan resistor repairs place and DIY info

just found this place as mine only blows on 4, not used them myself yet but looks like a standard £12 fee for any resistor... a new one from VAG is £61 + vat

http://www.blower-motor-resistor.co.uk/
    facebook

It's always the thermal fuse that fails and you can replace it yourself for around £1 from Maplins which is why these Guys can offer to do a repair for £12 and make a profit.

Be aware that the thermal fuse blows due to a failing or sticking fan motor so you can buy a new resistor pack and have it fail again straight away if you don't fix the problem with the fan motor.

That said, if you don't want to do anything yourself then £12 is a lot less than a new one from the Stealers.

John

Comment

good call. sorted for 79p
      facebook

Comment

From £62 to £0.79 in three days. Not a bad forum this is it?

The Perfectionist
        sigpic
        Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
          It's always the thermal fuse that fails and you can replace it yourself for around £1 from Maplins which is why these Guys can offer to do a repair for £12 and make a profit.

Be aware that the thermal fuse blows due to a failing or sticking fan motor so you can buy a new resistor pack and have it fail again straight away if you don't fix the problem with the fan motor.

That said, if you don't want to do anything yourself then £12 is a lot less than a new one from the Stealers.

John
          Do you have any specs on this thermal fuse? There are serveral dealers here in Norway, but i dont know what kind i need Some of the info printed on mine is not readable.

Comment

mines just lost the No.1 setting, any info on what i need to buy to replace the thermal fuse would be ace
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
              mines just lost the No.1 setting, any info on what i need to buy to replace the thermal fuse would be ace
              I would use thermal fuse part number RA17T from Maplin, £0.82 + VAT, but one of the other ones in their range would do with a similar temperature.

If all you've lost is speed 1 then I'd doubt it's the thermal fuse since you loose all fan speeds except full speed when the thermal fuse blows.

John

Comment

Originally posted by project_s2 View Post
                Do you have any specs on this thermal fuse? There are serveral dealers here in Norway, but i dont know what kind i need Some of the info printed on mine is not readable.
                You need a non resettable wire ended thermal fuse capable of handling 20amps with a rupture (blow) temperature of around 150 degres C

John

Comment

Cheers John - uber helpful as usual
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

You need a non resettable wire ended thermal fuse capable of handling 20amps with a rupture (blow) temperature of around 150 degres C

John
                    Thanks

Will it work with 10A? The dealer here in Norway (Elfa.se) just have 10A, not 20A

Comment

Resistor Pack, Where is it ?

I would use thermal fuse part number RA17T from Maplin, £0.82 + VAT, but one of the other ones in their range would do with a similar temperature.

If all you've lost is speed 1 then I'd doubt it's the thermal fuse since you loose all fan speeds except full speed when the thermal fuse blows.

John
                      This has just happenend to my car this morning and need to repair, I'm assuming that the resistor pack is somewhere near the heater. Is it something you can take out the car to repair ?. One of the few things I have not been able to find pictures of on the forum

Thanks Paul
                      1995 RS2 Nogaro
                      1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                      1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

John
                        Repaired using part number as above, now works fine, info, original is 240 deg rating above one was 152 deg rating

Cheers John
                        1995 RS2 Nogaro
                        1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                        1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

Sorry to drag up this thread but can some one tell me where does this resister get soldered? I have removed the blower motor... Any pics ?

Comment

Resistor

Hi you cannot solder due to heat sink into the new thermal fuse mine went last year went to maplin got a selection of thermal fuse,s the snipped the old one off leaving just enough to connect piggy back style works a treat

Comment

Originally posted by Az786 View Post
                              Sorry to drag up this thread but can some one tell me where does this resister get soldered? I have removed the blower motor... Any pics ?
                              It's not on the motor. To the right of the motor you'll find the resistor pack in the side of the ducting between the fan motor and the heater. It's held by one screw and has an electrical connector on it. If you remove it and turn it over you'll see the thermal fuse you need to replace. As Derek says if you solder the replacement in you run the risk of heating up the fuse and causing it to break so either heatsink it well as you solder or use say the metal part of a chocolate block type connector to make a mechanical join.

Oh and lubricate your motor bearings before you put it back, it's almost certainly your motor running slow that caused the thermal fuse to go in the first place.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X