Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3b s2 coupe resurrection

Well I have got my first s2

Noel asked if I wanted to help break an s2 his mate had crashed in exchange for a couple of bits or money off bits from it.

So went through to break the car, and came back with it

Was a fun conversation when I got home

"so did you get some parts?"

"well eh yeah, the car"

Car previously belonged to dm80 on here, was written of by the insurance as cat d, have the engineers report of everything that needs done so should keep me busy for a while.

Got it home so a couple more piks

Progress wont be fast, I am just going in to my 3rd year of uni so time/money is a restraint but will pick up the bits when I have the money and then work on it when I have the time.

Couple of qs

I take it changing the rear quarter would be a nightmare? At the moment just planning to pull/push it out roughly back to shape.

Are s2 coupe rear bumpers different from normal coupes?

Also what is the difference between 3b and aby intercoolers/crossmembers? I know they can be swapped but is it just plug and play with the correct hoses?

Should hopefully be a nice car once I get it all sorted.

Andy
    Last edited by andy10v; 5 April 2011, 22:46. Reason: Update title
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
    Couple of qs

I take it changing the rear quarter would be a nightmare? At the moment just planning to pull/push it out roughly back to shape.

Are s2 coupe rear bumpers different from normal coupes?

Also what is the difference between 3b and aby intercoolers/crossmembers? I know they can be swapped but is it just plug and play with the correct hoses?

Should hopefully be a nice car once I get it all sorted.

Andy
    ah so you ended up with that car in the end.....

yeah rear quarter would be a pita.

normal coupe bumper will fit fine.

aby intercooler is slightly bigger

why not use the bits on that quattro saloon you have and make a s2 saloon, in my honest opinion thats what i'd do, you'd have most bits and what you'd need you'd make off spares from the car.... plus from what I heard where the front end got damaged i'd suggest checking the car on a jig unfortunately.

Good luck with the project and keep us updated.

Comment

Ok ,thanks

Yeah I read the crash thread here
      http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37733

An s2 saloon would be sweet, always wanted one, however Im 19 and cant insure that kind of swap im afriad, a standard s2 is insureable-ish.

Will see when I start to tear into the front end how bad it is, according to the report damage repairable but we will see.

Worst case will pick up a coupe quattro and reshell or it will lurk in the garage till i finish uni and then get built into some saloon.

Want to try and fix it if possible though.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

rear quarter panel are still available from the stealer but unfortunately circa £350 IIRC

S2 Saloon it or reshell with a tidy bodied CQ20, its all bolt on
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Hi Andy

I have done alot of work on this motor ...you have a good one !!...Think you need to come and see me as i have this sitting in the yard

93 S2 Avant Parting
          91 URQ RR
          02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Excellent!

Can you pm me a contact number?

Thanks

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

PM sent
              93 S2 Avant Parting
              91 URQ RR
              02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Well got more things already!

Thanks to noel for coming through and dropping of a bonnet.

Also massive thanks to Steve, went up to his place (love it, audi mecca) got a pile of bits (door, wing,crossmember..., will be going up for more and also got loooaads of really helpful info.

Also got a look around Steve's cars, that coupe is awesome, gave me so many ideas and its not even on the road yet

So added bits to the organised collection

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Glad to help Andy ..you can tell your mate I floored it going up the hill leaving the estate full beans
                  93 S2 Avant Parting
                  91 URQ RR
                  02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Ok ,thanks

Yeah I read the crash thread here
                    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37733

An s2 saloon would be sweet, always wanted one, however Im 19 and cant insure that kind of swap im afriad, a standard s2 is insureable-ish.

Will see when I start to tear into the front end how bad it is, according to the report damage repairable but we will see.

Worst case will pick up a coupe quattro and reshell or it will lurk in the garage till i finish uni and then get built into some saloon.

Want to try and fix it if possible though.
                    How much to insure a s2 at 19? and who with please

Comment

Steve-so we gathered, we were talking about it all the way home, that car doesnt half shift

mike-best quote i got was with admiral, used confused.com and they were cheapest, then went direct and saved about £400, however you are still talking a lot to insure an s2, would imagine it will change with age/location. circumstances etc, just gotto shop around

Started on the car today after work, went over the underside, not really much damage at all, a few of 2p sizes holes in the inderseal, no deformation, couple of scrapes on the exhaust but again not deformed, no broken/cracked mounts.

Got the front wing off, 2 of the stupid nuts spun, sorted fairly quick though. Got the damaged crossmember off, offered up an undamaged one, ns fr corner is not too bent, will be able to straighten it when i get the car back on the ground, adjusted and strightened a couple of little bits. Need to sort a cople of bits of damaged wiring so will be getting some soldering practice. Sorted the alternator, just going to strip down the adjusment system and grease it up.

Will need to make space in the garage so i can start painting.

So now

More questions

where should this thin black vac line go?

What should this nipple on the wastegate be connected to?

and this tube coming out the maf to turbo hose?

Still need to pick up; an oil cooler, nsr light, ecu, clocks (will stick in a 90 set to get the car mobile), rear diff bush, stalks. Get paid soon so will hopefully pick up the rest of the bits to finish it off, then its time to start work on the rear quarter.

Can you access the outer skin of the rear quarter from inside the car?

Andy

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

The turbo-IC hose is missing, along with the diverter valve. That's where the vacuum line and the other tube would go.
                        Getting rid of that daft accordion IC hose for an ABY item is a good idea on 3B anyway IMHO, while you're sourcing some ABY bits and bobs.

The port on the WG is a classic Newb question. I got sick of people telling me I had a pipe missing when I first had my S2.

I'm pretty sure you can access some of the rear quarter from inside. It depends how much access you want.

Good luck with this project. It's great that some of these cars get a second chance. You should be ok if you're in reach of Steve's help.
                        SS

Comment

Steve-so we gathered, we were talking about it all the way home, that car doesnt half shift

mike-best quote i got was with admiral, used confused.com and they were cheapest, then went direct and saved about £400, however you are still talking a lot to insure an s2, would imagine it will change with age/location. circumstances etc, just gotto shop around

Started on the car today after work, went over the underside, not really much damage at all, a few of 2p sizes holes in the inderseal, no deformation, couple of scrapes on the exhaust but again not deformed, no broken/cracked mounts.

Got the front wing off, 2 of the stupid nuts spun, sorted fairly quick though. Got the damaged crossmember off, offered up an undamaged one, ns fr corner is not too bent, will be able to straighten it when i get the car back on the ground, adjusted and strightened a couple of little bits. Need to sort a cople of bits of damaged wiring so will be getting some soldering practice. Sorted the alternator, just going to strip down the adjusment system and grease it up.

Will need to make space in the garage so i can start painting.

and this tube coming out the maf to turbo hose?

Still need to pick up; an oil cooler, nsr light, ecu, clocks (will stick in a 90 set to get the car mobile), rear diff bush, stalks. Get paid soon so will hopefully pick up the rest of the bits to finish it off, then its time to start work on the rear quarter.

Andy

Andy,

good to see this car being saved (had a run in it with Steve a while ago), if you find you're making too much progress too quickly , we can put you in contact with a "project" manager down south with extensive experience of bringing any car project to a slow and painful stop.

Comment

Originally posted by ericd View Post
                            Andy,

good to see this car being saved (had a run in it with Steve a while ago), if you find you're making too much progress too quickly , we can put you in contact with a "project" manager down south with extensive experience of bringing any car project to a slow and painful stop.
                            Thats howlingly funny

PS> dont touch the water manifold what ever you do it will just disable the car forever
                            93 S2 Avant Parting
                            91 URQ RR
                            02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Imho,

much better job to try and straighten out the rear quarter that cut it out of car.

Less invasive.

Good luck, but time is on your side at 19.

Wish I'd started / discovered B4s then.

Kind regards.

Comment

Working...
                              X