This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propshaft overhaul

I'm in the process of overhauling a replacement propshaft to replace the worn one currently on the car so thought i'd cover off the main steps in a how to.

I'm using the BMW centre bearing and some Ford Scorpio inner cv's for the joints at eithr end of the shaft....

Work in progress but here goes.....
    Last edited by s2driveruk; 12 April 2007, 09:07.
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Okay, so once you've sourced a replacement prop or got your own off the car, 1st step, soak the circlips in penetrating oil as they will probably stuck fast.

Mark both halves of the shaft so that you bolt back together as before and retain the balancing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by s2driveruk; 23 March 2010, 09:11.
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

grab a pair of internal circlip pliers and remove the two circlips which will allow the joint to be split leaving the 1/2 of the prop with the u joint yoke and the centre bearing without the ujoint attached as u will need to get at a bolt to remove the yoke. Tap out the plugs which retain the u-joint taking care not to damage the rubber seals (these can be peeled back)
      Attached Files
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Once the prop is split, undo the 17mm retaining bolt holding on the yoke - you'll need a vice or clamp to get enough torque to release it.

You can see the yoke, washer & bolt and the two plugs...
        Attached Files
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

you'll need to spray tons of penetrating oil and smack the yoke with a hammer to get it off the prop. I left mine 24hrs to soak but it still took a bloody good bash to get it to move.

Once apart you'll need to get a something to drive the centre bearing off the shaft, i just used a fat screwdiver and worked round the bearing. There is a metal collar which needs to be removed so i drove that off with a big flathead screwdriver....as u can see it was knackered
          Attached Files
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

quick comparison of the OEM and the Febi BMW centre prop bearing. As GT500 mentioned in another thread, the BMW version has a thinner (width & depth) bracket than the audi (FAG) version. Also the Febi on has a single elongated bolt hole rather than two on the oem
            Attached Files
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

and another
              Attached Files
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

refit is reverse of removal. You can tap on the new centre bearing taking care to keep it square. You can either improvise to make a drift to push it all the way down the shaft or I found that you can just use the yoke once on the splines of the prop to push that on and work the bearing down the remainder of the shaft. Use a 24mm socket or similar to sit in the collar of the yoke and smack it hard until the yoke is flush with the top of the splines. Refit the washer and 17mm nut (or replace if needed) and note that it needs a locking compund on it...i just used loctite.

Note the orientation of the centre bearing, you will need the crease in the rubber mount to be looking away from the yoke...
                Attached Files
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

next job reassemble the u-joint and change the cv joints at either end
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Reference- Propshaft Overhaul

Hi S2 Forum Members

I have decided to give my S2 a Prop Overhaul, when i had a quick look the other day what was involved to do the job. i was gob smacked as to how much messing about it involves, firstly with the removal of the exhaust system as mine is all standard with three rusted up bolts through every flange holding every box together, then secondly removing all the alloy heat shields etc.

Is there any easy way of doing this particular job??

Would it be easier having the System replaced with a Stainless System from the Cat back?? then at least i wouldnt be having to mess about with all the Original fiddly system.

Is there much power to be gained by doing the Exhaust System?? or am i letting myself in for Boost Spike problems etc by lowering back pressure etc??

Any help would greatly be appreciated

Regards Audimaniac
                    Last edited by audimaniac; 29 April 2007, 01:52.

Comment

Get a good stainless system makes this easier to do in the future but it is something that won't need doing that often really so the choice is yours.

Yes there are power gains to the exhaust system if the car is mapped properly as it reduces back pressure on the hotside....
                      Dark Grey Avant
                      RS2 FARB
                      Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
                      Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

excellent write up. Thank you.

Greg W.
                        They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

When i did mine i removed the heatshields, but didn't remove the exhaust, i just dropped it off all the rubber mountings so it sat really low, then it was easy to slide the prop out towards the back of the car.

Comment

Mods, can someone make this a sticky please as it's really rather useful!

David, please could you post up the latest part numbers of the bits you used as a lot of the infor is a few years old in previous threads.

I've put a few other useful links below:-

S2Avant, MartinJS & Mark H thread

alg propshaft thread
                            Last edited by Rusty; 10 April 2008, 12:52.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

sticky it is.....I'll dig out the part list i have for it.

If you need more pics it is still to be fitted to the car so i can take some more...

Cheers
                              David
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X