Hoyle's typ85 80 quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoyle's typ85 80 quattro

Hi all, thought I'd share with you my 80q, which I've had for 2 1/2 years now as a project. I've already got an up to date thread over on CA but thought I'd copy & paste it here too!

Well, it's about time I kicked off a thread about my 80 quattro. Many of you will know the car and some have even worked on it with me or will have driven it in a previous life!

This thread will be retrospective, so let's start from the beginning. It all started back in August 2012, at Audi's in the park. I was down at the uk-mkivs.net mega meet at Grendon Lakes for the weekend and thought it'd be rude not to pop over to AITP to show my B5 S4 for a bit on the AudiSRS club stand. Neil Birkitt was doing the rounds as you often see at these events and so I asked if his 80 was still available for sale. I'd seen it advertised on classic audi but the thread had gone quiet. Anyway, from then a few emails were exchanged and by late september I was on my way down to Bracknell to buy it!

That day, was a long day. Knowing that the car had no rear suspension fitted, I knew there would be some work required. Neil had already started building some rear struts to get the car rolling. After a four and a half hour drive down in a noisy transit flatbed at 55mph, we got there. It took roughly 6 hours of work to get the car assembled, rolling and all the parts loaded up. It was getting dull by this time and we were knackered! We strapped the car down and set off on our way back. I was a little concerned as the car had no brake system (not even discs on the rear!) and the rear wheels were a bit wobbly!

We stopped somewhere on the M5 for food and caffiene, and eventually got the car back to my place around half midnight. Tired and miserable, we swiftly offloaded the car and parts and got a caffiene top up. We then had to drive 80miles back to Cheshire, as I was planning on dropping the transporter off at 7am and stopping at a friends place. I'd never wanted to sleep so much in my life!

Anyway, the car was now home and ready to be revived! After a good hot scrub, I had this;

Hoyle

The next step for me was to build the car up, so that it was mechanically sound and fit for mot. This also meant I'd find out what bits I'd need to put on a shopping list.

Neil had fitted bonnet pins to the 80 due to a snapped bonnet cable. I didn't want pins, so sourced a new old stock bonnet cable and a replacement bonnet. I also built up the headlamps with new adjuster arms and lock rings. I sourced a splitter from Slacky;

The milestone I really wanted to achieve was to start the car, but this wasn't something I was going to do without the neccessary checks! There was coolant but no oil in the car. Fuel, well, the tank sounded empty so who knows! It had not been run since around 1997. The interesting thing for me was this engine, TSR built, 2309cc with a pack C head on solid lifters! First thing was an inspection with a boroscope;

Cylinders 2-5 looked fine, but cylinder 1 looked damp. I knew I had to strip it before further works could be carried out;

Cam looked great, minimal wear;

And removing the head revealed this;

That, my friends is rust. The bore had corroded over time and it appeared that the head had cracked to allow the coolant through.

I decided it'd be easier and cheaper to buy and fit a working 10v for now, so was on the hunt for one. I knew mrpat had just converted his 80q to 3B, so asked him if his KK was available - it was, so I bought it and went over to stafford to collect it.

Upon collection, the engine was caked in 195k's worth of oil residue and dirt, but a good scrub soon remedied that;

I replaced any seal that could create and external oil leak, but decided not to disturb the HG, to minimise cost. This included sump gasket, crank seals, cam seal, rocker cover seal. I took the opportunity to put some high temp paint on the block and head, and then had the rocker cover and cambelt cover powdercoated to freshen it up;

Hoyle

Comment

When I bought the car from Neil, we made the car "rollable" by using S2 rear struts, which had shot wheel bearings and no shafts to match to! Fortunately, Neil had included some UR ABS rear shafts and some UR rear struts. The only things I didn't have, were URQ rear hubs. I placed a wanted advert on here, within a few weeks, I had these;

They were pretty much as new, bar the surface rust. I cleaned them up and hammerited the backs, then had them pressed into the URQ struts with new bearings;

I then transferred the as new Bilstein B6 shocks to the struts, et voila;

It was around this time that I ordered the rear calipers from Paul at Custom Autocraft, along with new URQ rear discs;

I also replaced the bonnet as there was some surface corrosion at the leading edge;

I then stripped and regreased the rear shafts, but came across an odd problem when fitting them. One of the rear diff inner driveshaft flanges was the later small type, 100mm, as opposed to 108mm IIRC. A quick search on ETKA got me the part number I needed, and I managed to find a NOS part on ebay.de, and had it shipped over for 25 quid all in!

And the driveshaft issue; new, correct flange left, and old one right;

I fitted a new seal when doing this and replaced the diff oil.

Hoyle

Comment

Enjoy these threads....

Comment

Cheers here's some more...

At this stage, I had a complete rear axle and geo setup, next, was time to fit the engine;

I had the engine, cleaned and painted ready to fit, and also cleaned and painted all these parts to freshen them up;

I also had the rad cowling powdercoated and fitted it up to a new rad with stainless fixings and mounts;

Engine coming out;

And then, no bhp!

I took the opportunity to inspect and then replace the hard fuel lines for new cunifer 5/16 pipe;

They were absolutely rotten!

So with the engine out, I also decided to clean out the engine bay and fit a new clutch slave cylinder;

And then got the replacement lump fitted up;

At this stage, I removed the tank and cleaned it out with fresh fuel, then refitted with all new rubber hoses, new bosch fuel pump & filter, and a good condition pre-filter. All with stainless jubilee clips.

I also fitted a new cambelt kit, all new filters (genuine oil filter with valve) and put fresh fluids in it.

I bridged the fuel pump relay to run the pump and test the fuel system, and lifted the metering head to get fuel to all 5 injectors. With this done, I fitted new injector seals and popped them back in the head.

I was ready to fire it up;

Hoyle

Comment

Awesome work, love these threads!!!

Comment

Fanatstic another one saved from the scrappers

Comment

Lovely car

Comment

Very nice I think I might prefer it to my b2 90 Quattro!

Comment

Beautiful car!!!!!!!

96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                    96 URS6 plus speck estate
                    94 2.6 80 Avant
                    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Great job. Good on ya.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Fantastic
                        sigpic
                        Cab 2.3E
                        90q
                        URS6

Comment

doing it propoer

Comment

Nice restoration project. How long have you spent on it?
                            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                              Nice restoration project. How long have you spent on it?
                              I've had this for coming up to 3 years and it's been done on an as and when basis!

Continuing:

With a running engine, I had real motivation to get the car roadworthy. I got 4x Nokian WR-D3's to go on the 15x6 Ronals - with the intention to run them as winter wheels. I also plumbed in the brake system with new flexi hoses;

With the brakes bled, handbrake cables set and fresh gearbox oil, I could put the car back on the ground and maybe, just maybe, drive it!

The car moved just fine, apart from a slippy clutch (this was used and included with the engine from mrpat).

I was ready to book an mot!

The only thing to do was test all the safety and electrical items again, and set the alignment to something near straight! (the smart price baking trays weren't neccessary - but I used them anyway).

I was now ready to take the car onto the public highway for the first time in 17 years.

Hoyle

Comment

Working...
                              X