My Coupe Feels Vague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Coupe Feels Vague

Fitted two new rear ball joints on the weekend now the car feels all loose in rear, It feels like the rear is bouncing, the steering also feels different i also have a loud clunk when i reverse the car up the drive on a right hand lock and also when i drive off on a left hand lock and sometimes on a roundabout. The clunk feels like it's coming from around the handbrake area i checked all the subframe bush bolts and they were all tight didn't check the rears though will do them next.
    I might add that the wandering happens when i go over a bit of uneven road or a small dip, cats eyes, manhole covers, even the white lines are making the car want to bounce away from me the ride now is awful and the road noise is now also louder.

I have solid subframe bushes fitted and the car is also Polybushed. Didn't know that fitting new ball joints would cause this.

Any info/idea's on the cause would be welcome.

Have you had a 4 wheel alignment done since you fitted the balljoints? If not the back end will steer all over the place over bumps, very unsettlingly feeling when driving.
    Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
    Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I would think this amounts to one or more of the following:

Tracking is out
      Drop links at the front loose/tired
      Front ball joints also well worn (my nearside front is worn and causing wandering on poor surfaces
      Springs not seated at the front correctly so they are moving on full lock
      clunk on reversing could be brake pads in the carriers moving out of place
      ARB mounts on the front worn causing the bar to move about enough to give a clunk
      Front wishbone bushes worn or not torqued up enough (I've had that and you get quite a thunk)

Was it just the rear balljoints you changed and did you change them with the wishbones on the car still? Trying to work out what was disturbed and what wasn't

Cheers
      David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
        Have you had a 4 wheel alignment done since you fitted the balljoints? If not the back end will steer all over the place over bumps, very unsettlingly feeling when driving.
        No not yet waiting on Albert to send me my Kw coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
          I would think this amounts to one or more of the following:

Tracking is out
          Drop links at the front loose/tired
          Front ball joints also well worn (my nearside front is worn and causing wandering on poor surfaces
          Springs not seated at the front correctly so they are moving on full lock
          clunk on reversing could be brake pads in the carriers moving out of place
          ARB mounts on the front worn causing the bar to move about enough to give a clunk
          Front wishbone bushes worn or not torqued up enough (I've had that and you get quite a thunk)

Was it just the rear balljoints you changed and did you change them with the wishbones on the car still? Trying to work out what was disturbed and what wasn'

Cheers
          David
          All of the above are new.
          Haven't checked if the wishbones are torqued up enough (will check)

Yes changed only the rear ones with the wishbones in place car was ok until then exept for the clunk that's been going on for about 5 mnths but now louder.

Comment

The rear wheels will be toed in or out because of the ball joint replacement, which means they steer the back end of the car as the load/unload and get more/less grip on changing surfaces.
            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
              The rear wheels will be toed in or out because of the ball joint replacement, which means they steer the back end of the car as the load/unload and get more/less grip on changing surfaces.
              Thanks for the heads up Andy.

Comment

Sounds like rear diff lock is stuck engaged to me. Check the mechanism is free and pipes are right way around.

Sent from apollo 13 using tapatalk
                1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Alignment needs redone probably. Any time I do anything to upset it the car turns into a sleigh and once the 4 wheel alignment is done I'm back driving on rails.
                  1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                  2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                  2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Working...
                  X