6 speed shifter linkage help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 speed shifter linkage help

I've been having problems with my shifter linkage. I changed the shifter ball but still had issues. The ball joint at the gearbox was worn so I decided to fit one of 034 shifter bushes. After a few days of trying to fine tune the linkage I can't get it to work.
    I can either get 3rd to 6th or 1st to 4th and reverse. It's like the bush hasn't got as much movement as the standard linkage.
    I was wondering if anybody else has had this issue with the 034 bush?
    I'm at the point where I could do with a new linkage if they are still available?

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy, did you solve the problem?

Comment

Not got it sorted yet. I have ordered different spherical bearing that should be a better fit than the one 034 supplied. I have also made up new bushes for the front pivot and i think i have found a new shifter ball for the inside. I just need everything to turn up and i can got on with it!

Comment

Andy, going back a few years I used to run a spherical bearing in the linkage. James (Terrybullwon) modded a couple of linkages for us both to use the spherical bearing.
        It was a larger bearing than the 034 one and the stem of the pivot arm was cut-back to allow more misalignment. Even then it took me around 6 hours of minute tweaks to the shape of the linkage arm to make it work so you could select all gears.
        Basically the linkage arm needs bending to centre the bearing when you are in neutral between 3rd & 4th. Then if the bearing will allow it you can get all the gears inc reverse. I am dubious the 034 will ever work correctly as it appears to be too small with not enough range of movement.
        No pictures of it, sorry mate. You can ask John B about it, as I sold it to him a couple years back

HTH
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          Andy, going back a few years I used to run a spherical bearing in the linkage. James (Terrybullwon) modded a couple of linkages for us both to use the spherical bearing.
          It was a larger bearing than the 034 one and the stem of the pivot arm was cut-back to allow more misalignment. Even then it took me around 6 hours of minute tweaks to the shape of the linkage arm to make it work so you could select all gears.
          Basically the linkage arm needs bending to centre the bearing when you are in neutral between 3rd & 4th. Then if the bearing will allow it you can get all the gears inc reverse. I am dubious the 034 will ever work correctly as it appears to be too small with not enough range of movement.
          No pictures of it, sorry mate. You can ask John B about it, as I sold it to him a couple years back

HTH
          I see what you are saying. The other problem with the 034 bush was it was really stiff which wouldn't allow it to self center the gearstick. The other issue was with it being a poor fit it was working itself loose.
          I am regretting even trying this because i have few options. Either get this to work or find a second hand selector shaft. My audi is my daily but i'm using my motorbike just now but that will only last till while the roads are ridable!

Comment

Does anyone know if its possible to run a B5 S4 or RS4 selector shaft? I'm just trying to find more options to get me out of this hole!

Comment

I use a B7 RS4 shifter box on mine. It is far from a straight fit but it is a better piece of kit and you can rebuild the ball joint.
              One thing you might be missing is the mounting boss on the top of the reverse switch / detent housing which was absent on the CGR boxes. I think this is available as a spare part though so you could retro fit it. If you have the time /inclination to make it work the later shifters are much better

Some info about modding it here mate:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...hifter&page=34
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I don't think i've seen anything 034 make work the first time and actually do what its supposed to, everything just seems poorly made and the rs2 replica log manifolds are shocking on the inside.

Comment

I use a B7 RS4 shifter box on mine. It is far from a straight fit but it is a better piece of kit and you can rebuild the ball joint.
                  One thing you might be missing is the mounting boss on the top of the reverse switch / detent housing which was absent on the CGR boxes. I think this is available as a spare part though so you could retro fit it. If you have the time /inclination to make it work the later shifters are much better

Some info about modding it here mate:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...hifter&page=34
                  That linkage set up looks a lot better!
                  My new bearing just arrived so will give it ago. If this one doesn't work I will look at going down the B7 shifter route!

Comment

well with a bit of messing about i have finally got my shifter working.
                    This is the 034 bush fitted:

it was a poor fit and the bearing kept coming loose. After a bit of measuring and a morning of searching online i found an alternative to the 034 bush that would fit better:

this is the bearing i decided would fit better than the 034 bearing:

http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/abwt9v...l_bearing.html

Then knowing i would have to press the bearing in shifter arm i would have to be able to tighten the sleeve once it was fitted. So i set about modifying the 034 sleeve. I decided to use the head of an allen bolt and weld it to the sleeve:

After welding it to the sleeve i turned down to allow the bearing to have as much movement as possible:

I then noticed that i need something to stop the bush from moving up the shaft. So i welded two tabs and filed them down to allow the bearing to clear then:

The bearing has a larger range of movement over the 034 bearing:

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the shifter arm cup. This would allow me access to tighten the retaining sleeve once the bearing was pressed in. I forgot to take a photo of it. I then pressed the bearing into the shifter arm:

The bearing is a really tight fit so won't need the grub screws to hold it in the cup. I then fitted it together:

I then fitted it to the car:

after about an hour of fiddling couldn't get it to to select 5th and 6th. I then realised that the front pivot arm bushes were worn and when tightened it was pulling the whole arm across to 1st and 2nd. So i made some bushes out of alloy and spaced the arm out and it works a treat:

The bearing is stiff but i think it will loosen of the more its used. The main thing is it selects all the gears and the cars back on the road and working. Just in time for its
                    MOT.

Comment

Nice work Andy hope your pleased with it. Will loosenen up a bit as it wears in. Will always be tight as a ducks ****
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Nice work Andy hope your pleased with it. Will loosenen up a bit as it wears in. Will always be tight as a ducks ****
                        Thanks Alex. I kept in mind what you said about keeping the shifter cup level. I didn't have to adjust the bends. I only opened up the slot for the bolt a little bit to rotate the shifter linkage a bit. That's why the front pivot needed spacing.

Comment

how much different is a b7 to a b5 shifter?

Comment

I tought that the bearin outer race needs to be able to slide up and down in the shifter arm cup. But can it really be solid in place? how did the shifter end worked? Shifter linkage in correct height?

Comment

Originally posted by hiloran View Post
                              I tought that the bearin outer race needs to be able to slide up and down in the shifter arm cup. But can it really be solid in place? how did the shifter end worked? Shifter linkage in correct height?
                              My one is pressed in shifter arm cup and it still selects all the gears. I had to rotate the front shifter arm cup slightly to get a full range of movement. The linkage looks the same hight.

Comment

Working...
                              X