inline shifter is finished.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inline shifter is finished.

after mis shifting 1-2-1 (11,495 rpm and destroyed motor) and my co-driver missing by 2-3-2 (12,011 rpm and no damage) i started to build my own shifter. inline, no mor H-pattern.

i worked on it for a while, then i bought a sequential shifter, and then i went back to H-pattern and sold the seq shift. i did not like not being able to go to neutral anytime.

but today, i have finally finished the shifter after a couple of years. here are some progress videos, from rudimentary designs, trial and error, and finally the finished (needs paint etc) product. i had to rebuild an 01E (1-2 shift collar) to be able to fine tune this, and will put a trans in the race car so i can final tune it in the car before i put the dog box back in.

but, missing a gear should be a thing of the past (hopefully!)

it is based on the old school muscle car Vertigate setup, i even cannibalized a bearing from Chubs old skateboard for the linkage part on the trans rod

the 3-4 detent pulls hard, almost negating the need for the spring to pull it down into the next slot. i studied quite a bit on this, there are some pretty neat shifters out there like this, inline stuff.

here is the whole series..... i think. including the redneck lathe to make the grooves for the clips.

but as you will see through these next vids, i tested, changed, tested, changed, and just made things gradually better and better as time went by. i got it now i think.

tinkering is one of my things, i like to do it. i like to see what makes things tick. this was no exception.

more progress, finally figured things out, then i bought a new house, moved, and didnt think about it at all.

then i try it while the car is running, up off the ground.

Last edited by speeding-g60; 30 November 2015, 02:31.

Comment

then today, after working on it here and there for a week (and having access to real machining tools like a mill and the little lathe i bought as a housewarming present for myself) i finally got it finished.

funny thing. a year went by and i didnt do anything with this: i said in October last year i would finish it THAT winter haha. i got it all out a couple weeks ago to get it finished, and i lost the relay piece that connects to the trans linkage shaft. so i redesigned it, built it and tested it. just finished up today, and i found that stupid piece i lost! i searched for 2 hours looking for it, too!!!! maybe it was a sign to make new and better, dunno the Audi Gods were lookin out for me i guess.

anyhow, here is the finished product. it is as finished as i can get it until i pull the dead 01E stock gearbox out, put the freshly rebuilt 01E stock box in to dial this in. THEN i will finish assembling the dogbox and swap it out. it will not be very fun trying to dial it in on the dogbox, the dogs hardly ever line up all 4 gears at once. syncros much more better.

spending a little time on this lathe i bought and hardly ever use. i cant wait til i have a real shop with a real lathe and mill!

Comment

Complicated to build from the looks of it but simple. I like it!
        1991 S2
        2003 RS6

Comment

Nice one Aaron. Redneck lathe made me laugh. Then I saw you had a real lathe too

Clever mechanism mate, nice
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I like your dedication to develop the best for your car.Your shifter is priceless.There things you can not buy.For evereything else theres Master Card.

Comment

Ingenious mechanism, if you want to assist the 2nd to 3rd a bit more take the shifter centering bolt and tighten the spring on it. This makes my 2nd to 3rd seamless as the selector shaft centers so quick i only have to push forward from 2nd and it automatically goes in 3rd due to the stiffened roller.
              UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

I think Aaron already modded the detent springs
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

yeah i did that a long time ago.... and you are correct it does wonders for bringing it back into the 3/4 gate for sure.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47486

Comment

Working...
                  X