034 Short Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 034 Short Shift

Thinking about fitting one of the 034 short shift kits to replace the OEM ball joint as it's got loads of play in it. Has anyone fitted one - was it any good? thoughts?
    RS2+ (now sold...)

I've got one. When fitted it was stupidly short, throw of only 3cm or so, even on the 'longest' setting with the circlips. And I know what short is, my daily is a Honda S2000 lol. I then had the shaft machined down to make the throw a bit longer. Now it is perfect and feels very mechanical. Only downside is that you don't have the reverse lockout, so you need to know where first gear lies (and pull nicely straight backwards for second). That however is something you get used to very quickly, I don't even think about it anymore.

In the end I'm glad I did it, since the play is totally gone, and it really feels solid.

Comment

Thanks Steve. Can you send me a PM with the details of machining you did?
      I don't want to shorten the shift just eliminate excess play.

I think it's possible to add the reverse lock out with some reverse engineering of the original worn out part. There's a how to on the 034 site somewhere.
      Last edited by Lloyd; 29 March 2013, 15:54.
      RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

I have one and have used it on both my five we speed 016 gearbox and 6 speed 01e. Works well for me.

The throw is adjustable by moving the collar upand down. Are we talking about the same kit?

Mine replaces the plastic sleeve and ball with an aluminum one. Reverse lock out still works.

Removed a lot of the vagueness.
        Angus

(1984 ur quattro)

Comment

I've got one of these fitted in my car, much better for selecting gears it was like stirring soup with the OE one, I got my mechanic to fit mine while I was away he said it wasn't to bad off a job to do, had a bit of messing around for the reverse lock out though.

Here's the 034 'how to' http://www.034motorsport.com/01a-sho...tall-a-17.html
          95 Coupe Kingfisher ABY

Comment

Has anyone got the solid one?

http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis...s-p-13999.html

Comment

Has anyone got one of these for sale over here in the UK?
              Happy to buy second hand too...
              RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Originally posted by campbellWS View Post
                I have a solid one like that - Not fitted it yet though
                Life is a rollercoaster

Comment

I saw Darkhorse's post about the worn shift ball in the gear lever and it got me thinking. Has anyone done a 'how to' to change the ball on the shifter? Does the gear knob just rotate off?

Comment

How about a group buy. I would be interested in 2 with reverse lock outs.

Comment

I have it on both my typ85's, great improvement on the standard, shifts better than new.

still outstanding on the S2, would want one with a reverse lock though.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                        How about a group buy. I would be interested in 2 with reverse lock outs.
                        I'm in!

Comment

Originally posted by poor-boy View Post
                          I have a solid one like that - Not fitted it yet though
                          I had a feel of one in LY4NX's rally car, awesome piece of kit!

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
                            Has anyone got one of these for sale over here in the UK?
                            Happy to buy second hand too...
                            WOT Motorsport up here in Glasgow has just become a dealer for 034, as he is into the b5 rs4 scene, he does not stockany b3/b4/I5 hardware but can get stuff in hopefully at list price without import tax etc. I was going to contact him about a solid short shift kit, I will ask him about group buy price

Comment

Originally posted by campbellWS View Post
                              I'm in!
                              And me

Comment

Working...
                              X