Aarons 8's or better RWD tube chassis build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aarons 8's or better RWD tube chassis build

not that people here really get on board with what i do for the most part, i figured i might share the work i did today to my next drag chassis anyhow

quick specs:

full chromoly tube chassis car with funny car cage, SFI 25.2 cert (6.00 to 7.50) bent up by Art Morrison Enterprises (SuperCar chassis kit) and being built by Vanderbeck Race Cars.
    rear wheel drive, narrowed fabricated 9" Ford rear with 4-link and spool with real drag car parts this time.
    all Strange suspension, rear double adjustables and front singles.
    all Strange brakes with 2 piston fronts and 4 piston rears.
    Turbo 400 3 speed auto trans
    Weld Prostar 15 x 12 rear wheels with 315/60-15 (30" x 13.5") M/T drag radials to begin with. 15 x 4 fronts with 26 x 4.5 M/T front runners. car is being built to eventually move to a 32 x 14 on a 14" wide wheel or 33 x 10.5W on a 14" wheel.

using for a powerplant...... wait for it..... yeah the same ole 4 cylinder i use now. little bit bigger turbo, maybe in the 74-76mm range, a touch of nitrous to get up on the converter and out of the hole, and away we will go! trapping 167.31 mph in 1/4 mile this past year was fun and all, but i am more interested in how quickly it gets there, so this cars goal is around 7.80's and maybe under 180 mph.

anyhow, here is some pix of what i did today, and i will put a couple pix of cool go-fast parts. one thing i am impressed with is the fact that the entire tube frame material, cage and chassis, only weighed 230 pounds total!

i took the car to the chassis shop this week, and i spent the better part of the day there today cutting a little bit of stuff out of it doing what i can myself is saving me a couple bucks, like around $400 today probably. i will go back tomorrow and get some more cutting done, finer cuts as these were rough cuts. get the car on the table and away they go. already have plans for lengthening the wheelbase (from 100" to around 102", not too much) but widening the rear arches is gonna be fun. for him. and we are building it to the larger slick now, so i can move into those at a later date.

this work was about 5-6 hours. pulling all the suspension i left to get it here and rolled around. it was light enough to pick up by myself either end before i started today, but its really light now. i picked up the front by myself and placed it on the stands this high. the rear still had suspension as the forkenlifter would not have had a place to lift by if i removed the subframe.

one nice thing is this chassis is being built to be able to remove the body from the cage/frame. that will be sweet for car shows (i plan to have it at one or two this year just as a roller for display) and stuff like wiring it all up.

and a parting shot until i return tomorrow. i will be leaving a camera with them hoping they take a few pics for me during the week as i work out of town. but, office work is slow so i will be leaving as son as i can daily to go there on the way home. only about 6 minutes from my house which is really convenient for me.

Last edited by speeding-g60; 28 July 2016, 23:57.

Strange double adjustable rear suspension/coilovers

Strange full front suspension with coilovers, spindles, hubs, brakes, rotors, calipers, control arm kit, steering rack, tie rods.

got the SFI bellhousing for the trans, and cut the mock up trans up and gutted it. it is much lighter now.

now waiting on the engne/trans plate to be drilled for my block, then that part is done. i had to make another one of these to make it easier to do.... sacrifices are made all the time in the big scope of a major project like this. it was a shame i didnt have a core motor and had to chop up a good one. same with the trans. oh well.

Comment

making the front engine plate pattern.

wheels. yeah here all the rage is stance this and wheel lip that so i took a few pictures to piss of the StanceBro friends i have

#stancebro #gotlip #threpointfivebenswide #Benandahalfdeep

i guess this is the way the kids these days do it?

got the tires mounted, then for fun i put one next to wifeys car. haha no fit.

then the rear brakes showed up.

i am impressed with the rear studs i need to run with this setup, they are kinda girthy. and this is the new tire next to the 24.5: x 8.5" tires i run on the CQ drag car now. a little bit different i would say

5/8" stud with 11/16" shank, no shank style nuts, this shank is the centric device for the wheels. real car stuff now.

Comment

made a road trip to pick up my chassis kit.....

this is my chassis, and the 4-link and shock mount kit. the ERW material is an 8 point my builder had tossed in on my "free shipping" thing cuz i fetched it sneaky guy haha.

and once again, i am truly amazed at the lightness this thing has......

Comment

wow... i knew are a machine
          sigpic

Comment

This going to be one hell of a machine! Found your last thread very interesting, please keep posting I reckon loads of us enjoy reading your updates.
            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Great project. Keep the updates coming please
              1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Love seeing your work man, always have a nosey over on projectpad. Seems all car forums are going to ***** nowadays.

Surely you had a spare block lying around to cut up for the bell housing, or was that a joke.... how many blocks have you destroyed on your project?
                1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

oh yes, i have spares.... i just got two more blocks this week, one to replace the chopped up one and for mocking up the motor in this chassis, and a second one to replace the AWD race cars motor as it seems not all of the water drained before i put it away and the block froze and broke. so that car gets a new bottom end as well this month.

crazy, but that is the second time i have chopped the back and of a block off. the first time was to send it to Quicktime for them to develop the bellhousing to mount our engines to Domestic RWD transmissions, but they only did manual trans ones. they told me $11-1200 and 4+ months for an Auto one and at the time i said nah but i might should have gotten one anyways. oh well, live and learn.

and the official count for motors in the AWD CQ is 4. first 2 got killed on the dyno in the initial tuning phases with 45+ psi boost (both times accidentally), next one i missed 3rd gear and put it back into 1st and spun 11,495 (made 3 more passes before pushing a rod out of the block), and then this iced one. the GOOD part is that i have been running 47+ psi (427 kpa) later in the season last year and havent had headgasket issues with that, which i was rather worried about.

WHOOPS!!!!! i did not pull the plug for the not-used turbo feed port, and that would have gotten all of the water out before storing it for winter. we had two bad freezes this year which is uncommon. moving forward i will run coolant thru the system and then store it with coolant. i do not run coolant in the motor on the track, only 100% water.

this motor has been beat up on for the last almost 3 years, it was really loose. i took it apart on the tailgate of my work truck late last year when we went thru it mid year to check it out. used the same bearings, new rings, and the thing had .007-.008 piston-to-wall clearance when we like to see .003 or so. but it made some serious power to run 167 mph at 2680-2700 pounds!

Comment

Good work that man and good luck on your sub 8 effort. Sure you will get there and looking forward to the footage of you trying.

Comment

Aaron you are a crazy dude! Really looking forward to seeing this progress, it will be epic
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

i build cars for my enjoyment and hobby. another one i am working on right now (which is in the race trailer while the AWD race car is in my garage) is a Corrado. with a 4.2L 40v Audi V8 in it. and a CQ all wheel drive Quattro running gear/suspension. and RS2 01E 6 speed trans. but thats just something to tinker around with when i dont have major work to do on the race car(s). i havent mentioned that here as it really isnt relevant to S2Forum, but i did buy the wheels i put on it from here its going to be a street car possible hillclimb, not daily but a fair weather car.

pictures are here if you want to see how thats coming along.

Quattro Rado pics on Photobucket

mini build thread for the Rado

Comment

How did I miss the 'Rado? Going to have a look now
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

probably because i never said anything about it here. not really relevant. i find acceptance here minimal due to my traitorous nature by using a 4cyl, but thats what i do. the Rado, well i got the trans (RS2 01E) and wheels off of here but thats about it.

its just something to do, i have no real deadline for it to be done. i work on it, then sometimes i let it sit for weeks and do nothing, or just research stuff.

Comment

Well its a shame its not on here as there would be definitely a few of us interested anyway, but I guess you can only have a few project threads or you become a slave to them. anyway I won't divert any more away from the "Tube Beast"
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X