Urq project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urq project

Ok so I have always liked quattros. Back about 12 years ago I was daily driving a 200whp 350 ftlb torque golf mrk2 tdi with all the right bits inc lsd and 2 turbos in compound at one point. It was a seriously quick a to b car and even in a drag race could stick with BMW e36 m3 evos etc. Anyhow as you could imagine with all that power and torque and only 1000kg traction was an issue. Especially in the wet. So I reckoned a quattro was the way forward. I got a drive in a slightly tweaked 10v with about 250 bhp and straight away loved the traction but new it needed about twice the power to be interesting. The golf would have drove rings arround it. Seriously.

So I picked up a red non running wr 10vt Urq from a fella called Alan near Sheffield. As I live in the northern ireland I had a bit of a task getting it home. I got the lend of an iveco van, fitted it with a tow bar and hired a trailer and me and 4 mates went over for a long weekend. 2 of us sat in a sofa in the back lol. Anyhow we got the car picked up and went out on the pi55 and headed for home the next day.

So the story with the car was that Alan had it painted and a short time after had new tires fitted. On the way home a front wheel fell off and mangled a front wing. He lost interest in the car and parked it up and went out and bought a lovely rr 20v Urq. After about 5 years it needed to go so I jumped at it. When I got it home I put a battery in it and fresh petrol and it started! I did a few circles in it in a gravel farm yard and then proceeded to pull it to bits. Thats all the driving i have done in it. The paint was poor and had started peeling. So it need a wing and paint. I got a new wing on order from audi and 18months later one came. By then the car was stripped to a shell sitting on its subframes. It has little rust and is generally sound.

I did the odd bit of spanner on people's cars at nights at that time and a fella needed work on his a4. He fixed and painted boats and after seeing a few of his jobs we worked a deal were he would paint the quattro and I would fix his a4. So it ended up with him for 8 years!! He got his a4 back the next day. And the paint job is poor. It looks fine from the other side of the road but it will be fine for fast road and track work.

Anyhow I know I needed a 20vt for it so I picked up one from a fella near London and me and a mate in a vw van lifted an aby with loom etc. It was a 23 hour drive and my mate got a speeding ticket on the way home.

So last year I got the Urq back and have been gathering parts. I have the engine with a tube manifold and a gt30r. It's stock internals and I plan on running it until it let's go then I would build another stroker similar to the one in my urs4. I have rebuilt a 01e gearbox with lower ratio first and second and a uprated clutch. I have s2 running gear and have just bought some lovely stuff from albert on hear inc kw3 suspension and tube arms etc.

This week I'm off work and have been welding the Urq and getting ready to fit the role cage which I got from custom cages. It's a interesting job...

The end goal is to have a car that goes, handles and stops really well. It's not a no expenses spared job, nor is it a polished super tidy special. I want something I can thrash and not be bothered by the odd bit of road rash [emoji3]

Anyhow I will post some pictures as I go. Cheers des

So this project is about 10 years in your ownership?
    Sounds good all in all, lets have some pics

Comment

pics!
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yea I have owned the car over 10 years but due to the painter messing me arround I haven't spent much time on it other than pulling it apart and this week starting into removing all the tar insulation crap from the floor so I can weld in the cage.

I quickly snapped a few pictures. It looks at its worst at the moment so hopefully it's all up hill and improvements from here.

The main hoops of the cage is just set in at the moment just to size up what goes where.

Comment

You have some patience, should be a good project.

This is the foot plate that came with my custom cages hoop, it came flat and was bent to fit

Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

more pictures

nice project, keep up the good work
            S2 limo

Comment

I will take some pictures as I go. Andy I take it that that picture is from a s2 cage install? I am struggling a bit to figure out this cage. The diagram I was sent is for some mega cage that doesn't resemble my cage. So its a bit of a try it and see thing.

Comment

Stupid question time. Do most people cut out the steel rear bulkhead and parcel shelf area out when the fit a cage?

Comment

Can anyone answer the above?

Comment

Nice project.. keep the pictures coming..

As for your question. Take a look at Hamish's thread or drop him a PM..
                    Stuart
                    B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Is the bonnet metal? Hope you didn't get charged for getting the tyres painted!
                      1996 S2 ABY Coupe silver
                      2003 S3 8L dolphin grey
                      2014 RS4 B8 prism silver

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                        Andy I take it that that picture is from a s2 cage install? I am struggling a bit to figure out this cage. The diagram I was sent is for some mega cage that doesn't resemble my cage. So its a bit of a try it and see thing.
                        Yes that is in my S2. We were scratching our heads a bit as we were trying to fit the flat bits in, but you had to bend it first

They also seem to often send things long, which is fine for straight ends as you cut them to fit, but my mates s14 cage came with tubes that are notched on both ends and tool long so you have to shorten them and re do the notches.

Is you cage possibly based on this one?

http://www.customcages.co.uk/Rollcag...ype=Multipoint

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Sort off. Custom cages did list a lwb Urq but it's off their site now. Good to know about some of the foot plates needing bend. I have ordered a tool for notching the tube so should be good there.

Also bought a plasma cutter today...

Comment

Bonnet is fiberglass. Reading hamish thread now...

Comment

2 bennet go through the firewall

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Working...
                              X