No announcement yet.

Where do people get 3B /7A heads from ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do people get 3B /7A heads from ?

Do people repair the cracks or do most of you get new heads and where from ?

Get a used head from a 7a they don't tend to Crack.. Not like turbo ones..

Gesendet von meinem EVA-L09 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Searching for days have found a few but still the fact that they are so rare and most of them dont have cams

Comment

Originally posted by smh View Post
        Searching for days have found a few but still the fact that they are so rare and most of them dont have cams
        Having ALL the cap's is way more important the the original cams, if your going to be using it on a turbo engine then turbo cams are probably going to suit you better.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

7a!

Hi, I have a 7a head but I want to keep that one myself for my own project, but I also have a aan head off an s6 on a running car. Don't know if that's any good to you?

Comment

I don't know why everybody gets so bothered about the cracks. Most engines are running around fine with cracks. These supposedly untracked 7A ones will crack eventually on a turbo engine.

Comment

I guess 100k+ of less stressful heat cycles might help prevent the cracks the 20vt units all seem to suffer from
              I agree though the usual fine cracks are nothing to worry about
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yeah, it even says in the factory manual that cracks up to certain size are permissible and nothing to worry about, can't remember the spec's off the top of my head but minor cracks between valve seats aren't anything to worry about.

I also agree with Alex's point about 7A heads being more stable due to years of heat cycles.
                1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I believe i have seen the 20VT head with 4 cracks on each spark plug holes and deep 3 threads down.
                  It's also running flawlessly with those cracks.
                  one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

My head was fine for years and it was cracked then welded up.

My point would be that after a short time I bet the perfect 7A heads crack.

Comment

Originally posted by G60Rallye View Post
                      I don't know why everybody gets so bothered about the cracks. Most engines are running around fine with cracks. These supposedly untracked 7A ones will crack eventually on a turbo engine.
                      You are 100% right.Sometimes it is perfect to use.

But sometimes damage is way to big:
                      Attached Files

Comment

If the crack gets under the valve seat,fun is gone.What alloy to use if you remove valve seat,weld the head,rebore and turn on lathe another valve seat?

What OD should the seat have at room temperature compared to the bore in the head,so when the seat is cooled it will get inside and stay there when things heat?

I was thinking of repairing some heads,i can do the machining,and welding to external company.But i can not yet guarantee on a good seat material.I have 2 cracked heads,one client has 2 also.
                        And does it worth?How much should,i or a company charge for all this?For the moment is way cheap to get a not cracked head or a small cracked one.

I am prepairing a 7a head for the engine build i will put inside my b2 cq.I think getting the sharp edges more round will help little.Can anyone confirm a polished chamber cracks also if egt is kept in limits?
                        Attached Files

Comment

If anyone is looking I have 8 complete 7A heads... shipping might be a killer though.
                          www.quattro.ca
                          B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
                          B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

Coul you get a shipping price to 407280 Romania?
                            And how much for the head?I need it empty.

Thx!

Comment

Working...
                            X