Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future S2

Hi there

I currently own an Audi RS2 and I absolutely love it, I love the exclusivity and the fact that its so well engineered and so fast and quite frankly pretty amazing to say it was built in 1994. In short its way ahead of it's time.

My son is interested in getting something quick and I have said an S2 would be a great purchase. He has an E36 320i at the moment.

Having looked recently they seem very thin on the ground. He's looking to buy in about 6 months to a year and would prefer an ABY coupe.

Is the 3B any worse than the ABY? Less moddable?
    How hard is it to take it to RS2 power levels?

Is it a case of take what you can get? Ie estate or coupe of any engine type
    Budget will be about 5-7K
    What sort of mileage can these cars take before requiring a rebuild?

The other option is something like an MR2 Turbo but personally I rate the S2 more. It's just finding one at reasonable money thats hard

Is it a bit of a wild goose chase looking for one nowadays?

I realise how incredibly fortunate I was to get my RS2 even more now!

Thanks
    Last edited by naim22; 27 July 2016, 19:28.

I have an RS2 and a 3B and I actually find my S2 more fun, nothing wrong with a good 3B and I much prefer the five speed box to the six though it not as strong so I don't launch it in first.

I'd get one ASAP, in six months to a year their be even more expensive, you'll struggle to find a good one for 6K now.

Engines last well if maintained properly, seen plenty on 200K.
    Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 September 2016, 19:20.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Taking them up to rs2 power levels is easier on later ABY engines as you don't need to change the head gasket.
      Rs2 upgrade is bolt on of turbo, exhaust manifold, injectors and inter cooler and exhaust system. Add a remap and you're there, would recommend brakes and suspension before that. Or you can get a chip to 280hp on the stock setup
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Buy an S2 over a 3B for a myriad of reasons.

Start looking to buy one now so that when the right ABY S2 Coupe comes up you'll be ready to pounce. Don't wait a year.

Judging by what you've written, you'll need to buy a decent S2 as a bad one will cost you too much to pay to have brought up to the standard of your RS2.

If it was me I'd steer him to a S2 Avant.

Comments based on being on here since 2005, and being over 50.

Best wishes.

Comment

Funds are an issue at the moment so can't buy one right now but he is looking, hopefully from about Christmas onwards it should be doable
          All decent cars seem to be sky high. Originally looked at E36 M3's , they are rising rapidly yet the E46's haven't come down in the same way the E36's & E30's did.

The other sad thing is they never really replaced the S2 until the TTRS, so it's S2 or bust.
          Just have to hope he gets lucky!

Thanks

Comment

Good luck but my tuppence worth is you might struggle at the turn of the year to find a good S2 for that money. They almost all.need some type of work with parts being hard to find sometimes and also sometimes costly.

If he is serious about S2 ownership, then my advice would be borrow some money at rock bottom interest rates (rumour says they will drop next week) and buy Johns RS2'd coupe on here. It isnt cheap but you get what you pay for with all the work having pretty much been done. It will not depreciate, will be fast enough and put a mahoosive smile on his face.

Ive lost count of the amount of time ive nearly picked up the phone to buy it haha but i promised myself i would not go back to Audi after their ******** approach to how they run their company. Trouble is, their old cars are brilliant nut brutally insupported by the very company that makes it current living off the back of previous successes.

Anyway, im going OT. IMO, 5k in half a year is gonna buy a car that needs work. Buy one that is already done and save time, aggro and possibly long term money.

I wouldnt discount a 3b at all. Whichever variant, just make sure its a good one. In fairness, you are probably more likely to find a decent ABY but for what money?

Comment

It's a nice car for sure, but at that price he could get the E46 M3 which is his ideal choice. It's getting close to RS3 money even.
              Yes RS2 bits have been a bit of hassle. Luckily not too much has gone wrong with mine thus far.

What's happened to these cars, I remember seeing a 44k ABY S2 Coupe for £7.5K not so long ago.

Why oh why Audi abandoned the inline 5 turbo for so long I will never know. Had they put that into the S4 then it would be problem solved.

Comment

I agree with Kit (Simmonds) I preferred my 3b to the rs2 even just running with a homefry it felt better more focused. Don't get me wrong the rs2 is a great car BUT something was missing. 3B or aby just buy on condition and mods, better to buy a tidy sorted 3b than an a worn out aby with a whining first gear or other issues!! 3b 120Kg lighter than aby, aby had 230bhp 3b 220 not a lot in it.

mr2 turbo, had one of them years ago and was not sold on it.

Comment

Originally posted by simon20vq View Post
                  I agree with Kit (Simmonds) I preferred my 3b to the rs2 even just running with a homefry it felt better more focused. Don't get me wrong the rs2 is a great car BUT something was missing. 3B or aby just buy on condition and mods, better to buy a tidy sorted 3b than an a worn out aby with a whining first gear or other issues!! 3b 120Kg lighter than aby, aby had 230bhp 3b 220 not a lot in it.
                  /\ Those that know will tell you the best S2 is a combination of 3B and ABY.
                  Really though, condition trumps all as to get a neglected car well sorted can easily swallow £6k. You will be extremely lucky to find a good car for £5k.

E46 M3 - nice car but with little character in my opinion, also I really dislike the interior but it's all subjective I guess.
                  B6 S4 is worth considering for £5k - a bit bland but an underrated car with a great soundtrack, lots of goodies and massive value for money.
                  Also famously (just) beat the M3 round Topgear's circuit in the dry.
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Doesn't the B6 S4 have a propensity to throw its timing chain at any point? I really don't rate the 4.2 V8 and I'm not a huge fan of the 2.7T. If Audi had developed a similar inline 5 for the S4/RS4 then it would be a no brainer

Audi 5 cylinder Turbo is head and shoulders IMO, tuneable , strong and sounds the best by a mile. The only rival is the BMW straight six.

I was having this discussion with a friend and we agreed there is a real lack of anything decent between 2000ish to 2008ish. The only exception was the E46 M3 and that's probably why it fetches so much

Audis efforts with the TT were admirable but I never really felt the 1.8T was a step forward from the 2.2T

What are golf R32s like? Not too tuneable I imagine
                    Likewise what sort of levels can a TT 225 be taken to?
                    Only thing is V6's and inline 4 sound absolutely terrible. Said he'd rather avoid them and just keep his BMW!
                    Last edited by naim22; 28 July 2016, 17:25.

Comment

Timing chain issues have been blow way out of proportion, much like BMW's Vanos problems.
                      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

If he gets a "cheap" S2 I would make sure he is prepared to re bush it, replace all the boost hoses etc, so have a good contingency fund.

If he can DIY they are pretty affordable to run, if paying for everything it can be expensive. Also I would not expect the same level of reliability compared to an e46 M3.

S2s prices have gone up a lot in the last few years, so there value for money has fallen compared to some more modern cars you can buy, but a lot of "better" cars are "better" but "meh" if that makes sense.
                        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

This one has been sitting around for a while, just out of interest

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-M-PLA...item3ac718fb08

Comment

DIY is no problem, he looks after an XUD diesel and a BMW M50 at the moment.
                            I take the RS2 to Automark though

I've seen that car, it's just slightly at the wrong time but if it does hang around a bit longer I may have get him to have a look. Does anyone know who's it is? I do wonder why it's hung around tbh

Also I didn't think Avants were much cop performance wise hence the development of the RS2 in Avant only...
                            Coupe would be better though I guess its more take what you can find these days

There are 'better' cars out there but they all use engine setups/drivetrain setups he doesn't really like.
                            V6's are soon to be a thing of the past IMO, inline 6's and to an extent inline 5's are making a comeback and its no surprise really.
                            Likewise we both much prefer AWD/RWD.

He can get a Fiesta ST 200 from work discounted but who really wants that
                            Last edited by naim22; 29 July 2016, 00:07.

Comment

That budget will not get you a good car.
                              They are old and all parts and bits get old.Hoses,bushing,wires.Suspension needs a sandblast,engine 90% of cases needs a full rebuild.

AC compressor dead,clutch pressure plate hard as rock,headlights and fog lights burned and chiped.
                              All doors rubber trims dead,all black plastic exterior parts burned and white grey collor instead of a nice black.

Seat heating elements burned,steering wheel leather cover old and cracked.

Exhaust rusty and almost gone,bonnet and rear hatch struts gone,n75 old,bypass valve old,maf old,etc etc etc.

You can avoid some of theese in 100-150000 km on dash.But that will not be 5-7k.With theese cars i found it is better to buy a cheap dead one(but without rust) or a perfect one.The middle price will get you in the end as much as the cheap one will get will all restored.And the good to almost perfect one will be 2/3 of the final price you will get with a restored cheap one.This is valid on all b4 and c4 chassis if you will think at c4 s4.

The only difference on 3b vs aby is the 01e gearbox that counts if you abuse the car.If not,01a is ok.
                              The mods as camshaft position sensor and coils instead distributor are not decisive when you choose bettween a god 3b and a dead aby.

Comment

Working...
                              X