01E gearbox noises.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01E gearbox noises.

So I changed my gearbox today in my urs4. It has always had a noisy first gear so the plan was to fit another box, which i got from a forum member. I got a gearbox with a wide first gear, oil pump and taller 5th and 6th gear. Can't remember the code off the top of my head.

So 8 hours later the job was done. God they are heavy. Anyhow this gearbox is also noisy in first gear, and almost as noisy in second! Third, 5th and 6th also have a wine and 4th is as noisy as second. WTF!

On the plus side, the gears change nicely with no crunching even when rushed, so the synchros must be ok, and the taller top 2 gears are nice.

But back to the noise, what is likely to cause a bad wine in 1,2,4 gear and some.noise in the rest. Is it likely to be fixable. Is it likely to fail completely and leave me stranded. I preformed a few emergency starts and it behaved ok, and didn't get louder. The noise is worse under load at about 3k rpm. The noise pretty much goes away on the overrun. Though in first I think it's there a bit on overrun too, so likely to be a gauled first gear. But what about the other gears?

I have the oil fittings connected with no cooler e.g. a bypass hose. I also filled the box with new oil, level with the bottom of the fill hole. Took about 2.5 l.

All advice greatly appreciated, from a depressed, sore and tired des.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
    Can't remember the code off the top of my head.
    Code would help. In the interim, it is likely from a performance model, e.g. B5 S4 or B5 RS4, and as such, would likely not have been driven by a grandma. More likely it was driven hard and put away wet. On our side of the pond, we tend to want to find 6 spds from A6 2.7tts since they were not considered to be performance cars and might indeed have been driven by a grandma, i.e. no heavy duty "emergency" starts.

Good luck but I am guessing the box will be coming out sometime soon.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

It's a cbn box. From a v8 s4. Just wondering if it's a bearing or something easy to fix, bar the first gear noise.

Engine should be getting swapped in a few months, so the gearbox will be out then. Just wondering what the neck to do with it...

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
        It's a cbn box. From a v8 s4. Just wondering if it's a bearing or something easy to fix, bar the first gear noise.
        Yeh, S4 V8. They are never driven hard.

Comment

Yea, but I know of plenty of diesel quattros that get a hard time. And with their mega low down torque, they can do damage.
          I suppose it's just hit and miss with stuff like this if you don't personally know the car

Comment

That sucks, i have a similar issue with a noisy first gear, put that box in to replace one that had a noisy pinion gear bearing. I also have two more in my shed, one thats supposed to be good, and another i know nothing about. Problem is all three look the same and i have clue which are which.

The order of gears your getting noise is a little unusual. Do you get any noise when free wheeling in neutral? Does the noise come/go as you switch from acceleration to deceleration? and is the noise related to road speed or engine speed?
            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Sounds like a shaft bearing maybe. As with all things gearbox related, the longer you leave it the more expensive it will be to repair. Having said that I have been running about with a knackered input shaft or diff carrier bearing in mine for 3 years and a few thousand miles and it hasn't got any noisier.
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

It seems to be more engine speed and load related. The pitch changed when I change gear. So maybe input shaft related? I suppose that's where first lives? The noise almost completely goes away on overrun.

That must be a nightmare having 3 boxes mixed up in the shed. I wouldn't have the motivation to fit and try them. You need a friendly gearbox man to go through them.

I'm going to take it out at engine swap time, but not sure what to do with it. If first is damaged, which I'm fairly sure it is, it's effectively a right off as it's part of the shaft and mega expensive. At least that's my understanding. The bearings are more fixable.

Maybe my best fix is to try and find another :banghead: gearbox with wide first. If I can't get one with the taller 5th and 6th then I can use this one as a parts donor.

Can stuff like gear swaps be done at home, or are special tools needed?

Comment

I will have to try freewheeling with the engine off....

Comment

You can do the gearbox at home but definitely will need a good selection of quality gear & bearing pullers, a hydraulic press, a DTI and measuring tools, and an assortment of drifts and mandrels to suit - JHM did a rebuild video which is really useful
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

JHM did a rebuild video which is really useful can't find the video .. i does have the link, but it doesnt work out...

Comment

Working link to JHM 01E 6 spd video

Originally posted by caterpillar View Post
                        JHM did a rebuild video which is really useful can't find the video .. i does have the link, but it doesnt work out...
                        This one?

http://youtu.be/-jNDFf2r4BY

Comment

all 01e I have driven were noisy in allmost all gears... after oil change and few days of driving it got much more quiet so I dont notice any noise at all anymore... stil its much louder than 01a for example

Comment

I'm not sure, if I should attempt a gearbox build. Engines are simple in my head, but gearboxes are voodoo.

Comment

Is it the same final drive ratio as the rear diff?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X