B2 90 quattro with added boost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 90 quattro with added boost!

Been meaning to start a project thread on here for some time. So best I pull my finger out. Few members on here will recognise the car. As it's had a few owners who are still active on here.

I've copied most of the info from the Classic Audi forum to save a lot of typing.

Right here it goes, I bought the 90 in April 2010 off Taff aka Poorboy via ebay, it was previously owned by Brian @ Tonks 4x4 who done the 3b conversion I think the intentions of Poorboy was to uprate suspension and brakes to handle the power upgrade but loosing the garage where he kept it meant it had to be sold, this is where I come in . My intentions are to convert to full S2 running gear which I have most of which have been blasted and powder coated, fit Brembo 4 pots won off ebay for a song with A8 discs which are currently with Bambridge having some caliper carriers fabricated. At the moment the car is sitting in my garage on 4 axel stands as I've just painted the underside of the car in Smoothrite after doing some minor welding work. All rust was removed with Deb Altranz then painted with red oxide a few times then 2 coasts of white Smoothrite so the underside looks nice and fresh and will look great once the silver wishbones and black subframes are in place. No running gear is fitted to the car at the moment as Ive only just finished putting the 044 fuel pump in it place with related fuel lines. Here's a few pictures. :tup:

nd a few more to show how it stands today. Going from different stages, including a few repairs not too many though which was a bonus.

Few pictures of the carriers that Bambrige from the S2 forum made for me, calipers were off ebay and a steal, brand new as you can see. Discs are from an A8 mixed with Ferrodo DS2500 pads, so these up front should be a great upgrade to the original stoppers..

Just a small update now that I've come home for 2 weeks rotation so hopefully progress starting tomorrow. I’ve been and bought various bits for the engine rebuild as you can see in the pic. Also mounts for the engine, gearbox and rear diff are from Bambridge on the S2 forum and are superb quality. Waiting for the suspension to arrive, so fingers crossed she should be on its wheels this week.

Right been waiting on some parts to turn up and have been cracking on today.. so here are the pictures..:tup:

Front subframe and wishbones fitted, solid mounts and poly bushed.

Rear temp subframe fitted, solid mounts and poly bushes in the wishbones.

KW V3's arrived this afternoon.

Fronts fitted

Then A8 discs and brembo calipers with Ferrodo DS2500 pads

And yes I know the calliper was on upside down. minor oversight during fitting which is on the right way up..

Handed the car over to Will at VRS Northampton to finish the car off. As working away in Korea the car was getting less attention when on leave. Great decision as Will turned the car in to a complete animal.
    Picture of my exhaust. going down to see the car sometime this week so will take a heap of photos and post them up.

Couple of pictures of the car this week. It's progressing really well since the last garage it was in the hands of. Rear 280mm brakes all fitted correctly with hoses, propshaft fitted with new centre bearing. Exhaust all fitted up and on. Battery housed in a A3 battery box. RS2 recaros fitted, the leather will be removed for the original tweed. The old loom and ECU have been removed ready for the Motec and custom loom. Loads of other bits and bobs ordered up. So I'm chuffed to say the least. :tup:

Ok people, some pictures illustrating progress. :tup: Quality of work being done is superb. We've taken one step back due to the poor quality of work carried out on the cylinder head. Basically the last garage did not, a) replace guides and if necessary valves. And b) The port and polishing is PISH, there’s damage to the side of the guides during polishing, NOT GOOD. :mad: So we are doing it all over again on another head. Any way the pictures.

Few pictures of the new cylinder head, and camshafts.

And the money shot..

Couple of pictures taken on Wednesday of this week.

Soon be firing off the key.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.. :tup:

As you'll probably agree, I'm smiling like a Cheshire cat.. and she's alive for the first time in 4years. Currently on a base map of 0.9bar. Ready for MOT today.

Roll on Sunday at AITP.

So had the new wheels and tyres fitted to the car. 8x17 Compomotive TH1. With 205/40/17 Toyo 888 2g medium compound tyres. Had the wheels painted in Anthracite.

On to some more interesting news. We've had the car mapped. Dave from EPS and Will had the car on the rollers all day yesterday. Some good results.

587 bhp @ 2.1 bar on normal pump fuel
    655 bhp @ 2.2 bar Q16 race fuel.
    520 lb/ft of torque. or 705 NM.

dyno graph

We'll be fitting a set of vernier pulleys to the cams, just to dial them back and nudge the power/ torque to the left bringing it in sooner.

We've capped the boost at 2.0 bar. Due to the limitations of the gearbox. We could have gone higher boost but the gearbox would have papped itself, plus the Ex manifold is approaching its limit, heat and back pressure wise.

So it will be mapped once again after the fitting of the verniers. So once thats done I'll post another graph.

So in with the Motec package was the installation of adjustable boost, launch control and anti-lag so all thats done and dusted. another tick in the box with just a few jobs to do and she'll be almost done. Big thanks to Will @ VRS Northampton and Dave from EPS Motorsport. Can't recommend them enough. :tup:

So a week ago today, my Father, nephew and I took a trip down to VRS to pick up the car. We had about 2hrs with Will and his guys discussing various bits and pieces with the car, and checking it over making sure that all would be well on the 3+ hour journey home. I took a trip out with Will before setting off home and he scared the **** out of me in the car. But I enjoyed every moment of it. There are a few changes that we will be making over the winter period, the biggest one being the swap to 6 speed as the current box is making some hellish noises. But the change will be for the better. Here's a bunch of photos that show VRS's handy work, top notch and to a very high standard.

So the drive home was one of the best journeys I've ever had to make. The car never missed a beat and drove absolutely superb. The car performed better than I expected, and just sat cursing at 80 on the motorway, with the occasional blap on the loud pedal.

I cannot thank Will and his team enough for turning this car in to the animal but yet usable every day car that it is. If any of you are considering to look for a garage to use, then VRS is one of the best to consider.

And a link to the dyno session.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpVaO_vy3C4

The car is currently with Will have an 01E fitted, strut brace and a few other bits and bobs.

Thanks for looking.
    Stuart
    Last edited by SE_30; 23 May 2015, 10:01.
    Stuart
    B2 90 quattro with boost

Holy balls, never seen a project-thread of this caliber start and stop in the first post before
    But god damn that is beautiful stuff

Comment

One word. Perfection.
      1994 URS4 Avant RS2+

Comment

Awesome, absolutely awesome, well done.

Comment

Not sure Animal does it justice. That is a beast of a car. Little wonder you have a permanent grin etched on your face.

Comment

Thanks for the comments folks. Really appreciate them.

I'll be posting a few vids next time home as I'll be going to GTI international and trying the 1/4 mile out.. See what figures we can achieve.
            Stuart
            B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Magnificent!
              Wish my car was half as good
              Are Subframes s2 or b2?

Comment

Originally posted by bluequattro View Post
                Magnificent!
                Wish my car was half as good
                Are Subframes s2 or b2?
                Thanks

Yeah subframes are from S2.
                Stuart
                B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

love this car, its kind of what im plodding along towards. VRS really got stuck in and the little details make it all the better. Keep us posted on any track use and quarter mile runs. Im amazed at the things iv beaten on the drag strip and i have less than half that power.hahaha!

Comment

90 quatt

luvly jubly

Comment

Originally posted by martinws View Post
                      love this car, its kind of what im plodding along towards. VRS really got stuck in and the little details make it all the better. Keep us posted on any track use and quarter mile runs. Im amazed at the things iv beaten on the drag strip and i have less than half that power.hahaha!
                      Thanks Martin, I'm always reading your project updates on CA.. if you need any bits and pieces just give me a shout. I have that other 90 that's getting stripped.

I'd love to join you at Knockhill some time, but only having 2 weeks leave I get very little chance to make any events. My work rota never ties in with any shows, track days etc. GTI International will be the 2nd show I'll be able to attend in about 5+ years at a guess..
                      Stuart
                      B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Fantastic attention to detail. Congrats.
                        RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Nice one Stu, glad you are actually able to enjoy the car now. It come along way since it was parked up in that workshop in Northampton next to Pete's UR all those years ago. I particularly like the intercooler, very nice indeed. Looking forward to seeing that car again
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

me too on the cooler. some making that i bet.

whats the turbo and downpipe size. who did the headwork? why did you not use the tubular manifold

Comment

What's the engine spec pal?

Comment

Working...
                              X