Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wavetrac/Quaife rear LSD

Hi guys,

As per title, id like to ask if anyone is running either a Wavetrac or Quaife LSD at the REAR and how has it affected the feel, handling and grip over a torsen?

Thanks.

Adam.

Would also want to know this. I have an unused 1 piece torsen now im considering selling to fund wavetrac so any information would ge good

Comment

On "The Project Pad" forum there are a couple of people running a Wavetrac. One is audifreakjim(Jim Green). You could join, good forum, and send him a PM. He used the wavetrac in this car.

Greg W
      They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

I am using gripper diffs. Front, centre and rear its soooo much better!
        Chef

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
          I am using gripper diffs. Front, centre and rear its soooo much better!
          I can only see one diff for 6 spd Audis on their site. Did you use the same diff in each location?

Comment

I don't think you would notice any difference between a Torsen or a Quaife. The Wavetrac shouldn't loose drive from lifting the inside rear wheel so would be a better option in terms of a geared LSD on the rear axle on our cars IMHO. Gripper is a plated diff so you have the benefit that you can adjust the preload &/or ramp angles to alter the lock-up characteristics to your liking
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Which would work best for shooting out of hairpins, without losing traction?

Comment

Which would work best for reducing understeer in corners ?

Comment

I run, supply and fit wavetrac diffs. Transformation when just fitting to the rear is much more positive steering feel less understeer and if enough power donuts a gogo.

I personally prefer them to conventional lsd@s being a torsen the power will always go to the wheel with mos traction whereas an lsd does the opposite and sends the power to the wheel that has least traction. .So it's better for both drag and roundy round imo. With the added benefit you dont have to run expensive lsd additive oils.
                  UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Originally posted by JP View Post
                    whereas an lsd does the opposite and sends the power to the wheel that has least traction.
                    Not sure that's quite right.
                    The way a conventional plated diff works means it also reacts to the torque transmitted to the wheels, as the bevel gears thrust force locks the clutch pack, it still means the side of the diff with more traction receives more transmitted torque.
                    Plated diffs require regular maintenance so bottom line a geared diff is the way to go on a road car which is why OEMs normally choose them.
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Interesting to see slightly contrasting views. Think this type of question can throw a variety of views but thanks guys all appreciated. I have already bought a wavetrac diff for my UR project. Thats why I was asking. As its based on a torsen will stick with it and see what its like. I do love the feel a torsen gives and no doubt with the whiteline rear anti roll bar should lift inside wheel thus helping things. With the additional power I wanted something to cope hence could have changed to Quaife LSD if necessary...

Comment

What sort of money is a rear wavetrac diff?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Comment

"For you mai speical fren'...special deal today!"

Comment

Lol

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Comment

I should be able to tell you later this week, Will is going to price one up for me. I think he said something around £1200-£1300. ...I think!
                              RS2 - Project Mental Wheels
                              RS2 - LHD on the road again
                              RS2 - reduced to component parts
                              RS2 Saloon replica
                              A4 1.8T
                              BMW 320d Touring M Sport Business Edition auto
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X