Considering a S6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a S6

I've been looking around at something to replace my 2007 Maserati Quattroporte, which I've owned for the last two years. It's the most modern car I've ever owned, and it looks like our time is coming to a close - suspect quality engineering you wouldn't expect from a premium brand. The list of things that have gone wrong in the past two years will fill volumes and is quite unacceptable for a car that I bought with a mere 14 000km on the clock - it now has 47 000km. How about a front suspension rebuild with worn suspension bushes at 39 000km? Or both front window winder regulators self-destructing within 6 months of each other? It goes on and on....
    So what to replace a car that DOES have a certain presence about it, with plenty of power and torque on tap? Nothing on the market really floats my boat. I'm keen on a Mercedes SLS, but it's still pricey, even used.

I stopped in at Porsche to look at the 911 Carrera........you cannot believe how astonishingly arrogant they are. What I did get out of this was that the 911 Carrera is being replaced with a smaller capacity turbo-engined model to be launched at the Frankfurt Show this month. Apart from that I have no idea what it looks like inside, or what options may be available. Porsche can take their attitude and spin on it - they're off the list.

Nothing in BMW offering makes my pulse even blip, let alone race.

Same goes for Mercedes, except the SLS, of course.

Lexus/ Infinity? I'd rather walk.

Jaguar? See above.

Land Rover/ Range Rover? See above.

So off I went to Audi to check out the S6. The salesman told me that they didn't have one, but he would source a demo car and come back to me - this was a week ago. I cannot believe that it can be such a chore for anyone to relieve me of the large stack of notes I have set aside for a new car.

Nevertheless on Saturday I went to the opposing Audi dealer down the road and got to see the S6 close up. The salesman was incredibly helpful and I managed to get a whirl in the car with the sales manager - it's his car. Very, very impressive, but I am so out of touch with all the techo deritus on board. Does one really need all this stuff in a car??? Anyway, the good salesman reached deep into his bag of patience and spent time explaining all the options and what they meant. So far, Audi 1.

I've been invited to the launch of the Maserati Ghibli in SA on Thursday night, so we'll have to wait and see. I'm not sure about the Italians though - my complaints about my experience with the QP were merely brushed off and I pretty much vowed that Maserati would never see a cent from me again. Well, in terms of a new car, 'cause I have no choice but to fix their crap in the meantime.

What to do, what to do........

With regards to Maserati, they are owned by Ferrari who is owned by Fiat.

Fiat electronics give an astonishing amount of trouble, as do the Alfas. The suspension on these cars is no better, we replace engine mountings galore on these cars and the wishbones, shocks and other suspension items fair very badly.

I would not be surprised if much of these items are designed in the same way even if it is a Maserati/Ferrari.

Just a word of advice from me. I work with Fiat/Alfas and many other makes every day and you always see the same problems with the Fiat group of vehicles.
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

We repair cars and one of the brands we do is Maserati.... I hate them. No driver feel, poor build quality. The ghibli is horrible to drive and feel , one issue it has and warranty won't do nothing with is that the boot lip rubs the bumper .This is just my opinion by the way

Comment

Working...
      X