Gearbox crunching into gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox crunching into gear

Having another dilemma regarding the gearbox.Sometimes whilst driving it has started to crunch into gear.It can happen in any gear,but 3rd and 4th seem to be the worst.
    At low speeds it doesn't happen so much.
    It is almost like the clutch is not working correctly,but a new sachs clutch was fitted last year and it hasn't been abused.
    Other things were fresh gear oil added and a new slave cylinder fitted.The only thing not touched was the clutch master cylinder.
    Had a quick look last night and there is no sign of fluid leaks and the clutch travel and operation seems to feel ok.
    I hope the clutch hasnt worn out already,there is no slipping .
    Any thoughts on this????
    Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
    Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
    Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

Does it ever feel like it won't go into gear, then does with a crunch? I had that on my first 'box until it was stuck in gear

Comment

Two things:

1) Is your clutch foot going all the way to the floor when shifting? I recently had a shift issue and it turned out to be someone had moved my seat back further that I had had it at and although I was using the same leg movement, I wasn't pushing the clutch pedal down far enough.

2. Is your shifter adjusted properly? Not sure if this works for non-C4s but this link helps for C4 01E shifter adjustment: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/42737.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

I made a point of making sure i depressed the clutch fully.
        it is that sometimes the gear change is fine on all gears and then after a while it starts getting difficult to shift up into 3rd and 4th and just tonight 5th
        you go to select a gear and it just does not go in or it goes in with a crunch
        i do not seem to have a problem changing down
        Rob

Comment

I only had trouble changing down to 1st, then it got stuck in 2nd. After getting it freed up and forgetting about it it got stuck in 4th and the whole box was fecked. Turned out to be bent selector fork/s

How often is it happening? Has it started to happen more and more frequently as time has passed?

Comment

It is not getting stuck in gear,its just reluctant to engage
            It does behave like when you go for a gear to quickly before you have fully depressed the clutch and crunch the gears
            Rob

Comment

Have you checked your gearbox oil level mate?
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

i have to say having renewed my box oil before ADI, quality of the shift has improved no end. When i stuck my finger into the filler home before I dropped the old oil to see how much was in there, was clear it was lower than it should be. Hopefully Rob you just need a top up.
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  Have you checked your gearbox oil level mate?
                  In case the OP doesn't know where the fill level plug is located, it is on the left side drive flange, as shown in this photo from Tom S. that I annotated. IIRC, the correct fill level is just to the bottom of the threads with the car (or trans) level (N-S/E-W)

Attached Files
                  RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                  94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Alex/david yes guys i have checked the gear oil level,infact I just dropped the gear oil to see uf there was any trace of metal in it,to see if there was anything terminal going on.There was nothing at all in the oil
                    Its gone back in as it is only a few weeks old,all 2.7 litres of it
                    by the way i am using millers fully synth 75/90
                    Rob

Comment

Where is the bite point on the clutch, right at the bottom or a couple of inches up. So long as the bite is not right at the bottom master and slave operation probably OK. Taking my box out this year as think synchromesh going in 3-6th gears causing selection issues and also noisy below 2300rpm in 3 to 6th as though a bearing on way out......
                      1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
                      2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
                      2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

Bite point is a couple of inches up from the floor,but I will double check in the morning
                        Rob

Comment

I am hoping it's not the gearbox as it has been changed already.There are no noises coming from the box,not that I can hear at least.
                          Could this be a slightly on its way out clutch master cylinder issue,seeing as since I have had the car I have not changed it?
                          Rob

Comment

Have you bled the brakes and the slave?
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Rob,

The synthetic oil may be your issue, it's to slippy for the synchros. Everything you describe including clean oil sounds like synchros.

That said when they are worn its usually 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd as they are used the most.

Happening in other gears could well be the oil, its what I would swap in fact a couple of times to wash out the synthetic.

Cheers

Darren.

Comment

Working...
                              X