Coilpacks wiring diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilpacks wiring diagram

If you think that your performance is not as sharp as it used to be and you're over 100k miles, then suspect coil pack wiring:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Martynf; 17 July 2005, 20:19.
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Performance seems to slip away over time and you don't really notice it until you go looking for a problem. I suspected at least two packs were 'expiring' what I found was 5 packs expiring. All the wiring to all 5 packs has fallen foul of heat damage to the insulation and they are all bin fodder, so if you think you're not as sharp as you used to be and you haven't changed packs yet, best you check em....

If it helps anyone, then here's a wiring diagram for them I made for my own use when soldering in the wiring for the new ones:
    Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Diagram:
      Attached Files
      Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Performance is now fully back, this is how they should look!:
        Attached Files
        Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Did you buy new wires?
          ABY Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

Did you buy new wires?
            yes he did, they also come with new coil packs attached though so they aren't exacly cheap!
            Seriously though, i've been thinking about doing mine for awhile as i had to rewire a couple during the rebuild. I'll wait until next winters rebuild though and just tool about in it for now.

graham.
            Signature censored
            The member formerly known as tekkno300

Comment

Thats how all of mine were when i changed my coilpacks, much much nicer with new coils and wiring.

The wire and shielding was sooooooooooooo brittle.
              I just cut the old wires tho and soldered them on to the original stuff just behind the engine, didnt go looking for the plugs as didnt know there were some.
              Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
              2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Graham, ECP do a good price on coilpacks (well better than they list retail anyway) and they are the same BERU parts as well.

From memory i think mine were £57+VAT each. Bargain i thought, as i wasnt expecting to get the bit that joins down from the coilpack to the plug and that part alone, genuine, is something like 25+vat!
                Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by S2 Ant
                  Graham, ECP do a good price on coilpacks (well better than they list retail anyway) and they are the same BERU parts as well.

From memory i think mine were £57+VAT each. Bargain i thought, as i wasnt expecting to get the bit that joins down from the coilpack to the plug and that part alone, genuine, is something like 25+vat!

Does the ECP item come with the wire and plug?
                  RS2 MTM

Comment

Comes with the wiring and extension, but no plug.
                    Never show a fool a half built house.
                    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
                    The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

I wish I had that diagram when I did mine a while back would have made things alot easier. its worth putting extra insualtion over the wires because they will soon start going brittle again.
                      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Hey Martyn - do the coilpack bits from your supplier include the connector boots or is it a solder job ? Your look very new unless you cleaned them especially well.

I agree this is worthwhile, but its an expensive venture. Mine are certainly looking past their best but I'd like to cook up some good electrical tests before consigning any of them to the bin.

Hoping that Greg will bring his expensive multimeter to Billing for some group conductance testing Hope you haven't thrown out your old ones yet - they'd be good for measurements !
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Yeah I did throw them out a while back, they were totally knackered. The insulation was perished and cooked right upto the coil pack and the wires werent in very good condition either. They come with bare ends on the coil wires. I bought a load of connectors and wires to do mine with so still have some of those.
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                            I wish I had that diagram when I did mine a while back would have made things alot easier. its worth putting extra insualtion over the wires because they will soon start going brittle again.

Fuuny thing is Greg.... I ONLY did this wiring diagram for myself BECAUSE of what YOU said after you had trouble changing yours!!

You've got 5 pairs of wires all the same colour and all the same length and if you don't note where each one goes to... fun fun fun!!
                            Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Thats why i cut and soldered mine one at a time. to make sure i didnt get in the position of not knowing what went where, as my friend was almost a bit too eager to get started and start cutting!
                              Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Working...
                              X