This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cams 7A inlet and exhaust RR results

Hi i have been reading through all the threads after doing a search on 7a cams. I just want to no what difference would it make to my s2? After reading through the threads it looks as though it is only worth doing the exhaust cam. What does this actually do? Also how comes the s2 did not already come with 7a exhaust cam fitted? Where can i get the 7a exhaust cam from? Sorry im an amateur
    3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

The 7A cam is from the 2.3 NA audi engine. The S2 does not come with a 7A cam as the cam is not designed by audi for the S2 turbo engine. It's is an aftermarket upgrade perfromed by owners looking for more top end performance whilst sacrificing low end torque.

I suggest that you search the forum for 7a cams as there is extensive threads covering the pro's and cons of the 7A cam.

Comment

The exhaust cam is fine if fitted on its own but if you fit the inlet cam thats when you start to lose low end torque for the small top end gain.

Cheers,

Chris
      Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chris M
        The exhaust cam is fine if fitted on its own but if you fit the inlet cam thats when you start to lose low end torque for the small top end gain.

Cheers,

Chris
        Not according to MRC and everybody else thats fitted it.

I'm going to dig up the specs as i;m pretty positive that theres not only increased lift but more duration and overlap.
        Last edited by Jamo; 1 August 2005, 10:04.

Comment

Jamo, what Chris wrote is my last conclusion on 7A intake cams. The best compromise remains the stock intake cam and 7A exhaust, even for high power. Doug's car picked up 2HP and lost some torque (can't remember how much exactly), as well as loads of low revs pick-up after fitting the 7A intake cam and remapping it. There was no way to compensate for the low revs loss by remapping it BTW... It still did consistent 440 BHP on 2 different dynos though, so it's not like the car has lost all power, but the loss in torque is pretty noticeable though...

Cheers,

Mihnea

Originally posted by Jamo
          Not according to MRC and everybody else thats fitted it.

I'm going to dig up the specs as i;m pretty positive that theres not only increased lift but more duration and overlap.
          '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
          info@MRCTuning.com
          Workshop Directions

Comment

7a head on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
            94 s2 avant
            aoc member 1116

Comment

More lag with the 7A intake cam as well.

This is just the 7a exhaust cam:
              Attached Files
              S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

One thing the plots don't show is that it pulls harder at higher revs - the point at which the curve is rising and then starts rising at a slower rate is where the intake temps are getting really hot.

And with both 7A cams:
                Attached Files

Comment

So what were saying is that on the 7A exhaust cam with stock cam, were only seeing gains with neglible loss on low end?

Comment

Doug,
                    can you tell me what mods are in your engine in respect of turbo, EM and exhaust system.
                    Thanks
                    Aelred

Comment

Yes - if you tell me what spec KKK turbos you have used to get 600bhp on these engines ?

Comment

Yeah, thats right Jamo. I have driven Dougs car a few times and have to say that it was more fun/useable to drive when it had only the 1 cam in it. Now you need to use high revs to get it rolling, but it does pull harder to the redline now than before. Its a similar power band to my car, but mine is still climbing at the top end.

It depends on what the cars are going to be used for IMO. My car is suited to hard/fast/high revving driving, like on track. Where as Dougs car with the 1 7A cam would be a great country road car
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

So is it really worth swaping a 7A exhaust came over the stock cam for fun spirited driving (non drag)?
                          //-\\ ((_)) //)) //

Comment

It is worth having the 7a exhaust cam as long as it is mapped to take advantage of that.

Comment

So the 7A exhaust cam is superior to the RS2 exhaust cam then?And how does the 7A cam compare to the 2 litre 5cyl 20v exhaust cam?

Comment

Working...
                              X