996 GT3 Four pot caliper brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 996 GT3 Four pot caliper brake upgrade

Hi, I've been dragged onto this forum by my good friend ross25480 who has a very tidy S2 3B, (cos sometimes I do bits of work on it for him!). I don't have an S2, but enjoy his one when I get the chance to drive it.

Ross recently obtained some 996 GT3 callipers from America thinking that they were Boxter S callipers in order for him to do a brake upgrade. Finding that the rather larger GT3 callipers did not fit the RS2 calliper carriers that he had bought, he decided rather than swap them for the smaller Boxter S callipers, he would get me to design and make a set of custom calliper carriers. These would be fitted with Audi A8 324mm dia. x 30mm thick discs.

I have made and we have now tested a set of the brackets on his S2 and they will be travelling round Castle Combe at great speed tomorrow, should you wish to come and have a look - you'd be more than welcome.

Ross says that stopping is VASTLY improved over the stock brakes and is better than the Boxter S upgrade as well.

If any of you guys out there would like to do the same upgrade, I can supply you with the custom brackets you need. All the other parts are exactly the same as if you were doing the Boxter S upgrade.

Obviously, having humping great brakes means you need reasonably big alloys to accommodate the machinery. Ross is running 18" RS4 alloys but you might be able to get away with 17” we haven't tried that yet.

Have a look at the pictures below if you're interested. If you're worried about the fact that I have been fiddling with some very important parts of Ross' car, fear not as I have a BEng and a Masters Degree in Engineering and this is the sort of thing I do daily...!

If you're interested in a set of these brackets, currently, they are machined from solid billet steel and this makes them quite expensive to produce compared to buying the RS2 calliper carriers. The RS2 carriers are about £100 inc. Vat from VAG parts. I can do the larger custom-made calliper carriers for £240 + delivery for the pair, but depending on the level of interest, I might be able to make them cheaper.

They are finished to a high standard and do the job very well. We have adjusted the design of the carriers from the RS2 type by not only increasing the mounting hole spacing, but adjusting radial and lateral offsets so that the pads sweep the discs perfectly. Have a look at the pictures below - and see what you think.

Drew
    Attached Files

Picture of Original S2 Brakes

...Please excuse Ross' slightly tatty disc back plates (they're on the list of things to do!)
    Attached Files

Comment

Picture of Custom 996 GT3 Custom Carriers bolted on.

We used new hex-head bolts with a pre-applied threadlock compound.
      Attached Files

Comment

I love the caliper stand
        Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
        England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Picture of Custom 996 GT3 Callipers bolted on to new carrier.

Again, we used new high-tensile hex-head bolts with pre-applied threadlock to hold the callipers in place. You can also see the new discs held loosely in place with one wheel bolt.
          Attached Files

Comment

Picture of 996 GT3 custom carrier assembly viewed from above

Sorry it's a bit blurred - difficult to take this picture as the camera was right up in the wheel arch!
            Attached Files

Comment

Picture of 996 GT3 custom brakes with 18" alloy replaced

This picture shows us having fitted the alloy. Everything cleared nicely and alignments were correct. Phew!

All that remained to do was fit the new hydraulic lines and bleed (with the aid of an easybleed. I think you have to turn the ignition on to free up fluid passage through the ABS as well - ask Ross, he did that bit.)

We don't have any photographs of doing that as my camera batteries died and it was getting dark as well!

Both Ross and I will be at Castle Combe on Saturday 21st Oct (tomorrow) and as I said, we'll be more than happy to tell you about it should you want to know more. They've had 2500 miles to bed in already and they the car beautifully. They're being checked today and then subjected to lots of grief on the track. See you there? We'll be the ones in the S2 without faded brakes....!

Happy S2'ing, (I can only aspire to owning one at the moment!)

Drew
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BRY
                I love the caliper stand
                Thanks BRY, took some doing but it looks good and works well. Need to do the same to my '64 Land Rover! Scccccrrrrrreeeeeeech.

Comment

Good God man! Those are some anchors!! Question?

What is the mounting bracket made from? High strength stainless steel? Will you make more? Will you sell to Yanks? I got ideas!

Comment

Hi Drew,

Very nice job you have done there, just out of interest, what is the material and method of construction on these brackets? (Another Beng Hons man here being nosey!)

Cheers,

Steve
                    The Perfectionist
                    sigpic
                    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by panzerwagen
                      What is the mounting bracket made from? High strength stainless steel? Will you make more? Will you sell to Yanks? I got ideas!
                      Of course I will sell to Yanks - so long as you're prepared to cover the cost of some reliable shipping across the pond. Believe it of not, it's made from mild steel. We looked at a range of materials. Stainless was going to be harder to machine and hence more costly. The forged Audi carrier is mild forging steel too, machined where needed and cleaned up. Then it is yellow passivated as can be seen in the photographs.

Our carrier is considerably 'beefier' to spead out stresses without going overboard and adding too much unsprung mass to the suspension leg. We've also removed any sharp radii as right-angles or notches are stress/fatigue concentration zones and hence it shouldn't ever fail and can cope with all we throw at it!

The carrier is surface ground finished to ensure it is parallel, keeping the calliper in line with the disc. This is what probably makes it look like stainless in the pics. Before final assembly, they were treated to a lick of calliper red cellulose based enamel paint. This should keep the oxide away!

Tell me about your ideas...
                      Drew

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
                        Hi Drew,

Very nice job you have done there, just out of interest, what is the material and method of construction on these brackets? (Another Beng Hons man here being nosey!)

Cheers,

Steve
                        Steve,

Thanks for the comments! Hope my previous posting should answer most of your questions? I can find you an exact spec. of the steel if you want! They were ripped down from solid square stock bar on a mill as we could find no suitable rolled angle. I'm keen to investigate another idea to do with a different steel section, but you'll have to wait and see if I can make a go of that.

For now, we wanted to test the water amongst the S2 forum and gather your thoughts, as well as getting Ross ready for Castle Combe. Speaking of which, I have to be up at 4am ish to get there for the track day... so I had better go and get ready before getting an early night! Snooooze.

Drew

Comment

Originally posted by aea_s
                          Steve,

Thanks for the comments! Hope my previous posting should answer most of your questions? I can find you an exact spec. of the steel if you want! They were ripped down from solid square stock bar on a mill as we could find no suitable rolled angle. I'm keen to investigate another idea to do with a different steel section, but you'll have to wait and see if I can make a go of that.

For now, we wanted to test the water amongst the S2 forum and gather your thoughts, as well as getting Ross ready for Castle Combe. Speaking of which, I have to be up at 4am ish to get there for the track day... so I had better go and get ready before getting an early night! Snooooze.

Drew
                          I was wondering if it was stainless or mild steel. I am glad you mentioned the radius as it was not obvious from the photo's but now I can see them. As I have already mentioned I am partially in the market for upgraded brakes on my S2, but so far have yet to find a really nice bolt on solution, but this looks quite nice!

I will have a chat with you tomorrow.

Cheers,

Steve
                          The Perfectionist
                          sigpic
                          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

What is the piston size difference between the 996 boxster S brakes and 996 GT3 caliper?

I thought the A8 brakes were either 330X30 or 314X30? They have a 324X30?

Greg W.
                            They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
                              As I have already mentioned I am partially in the market for upgraded brakes on my S2, but so far have yet to find a really nice bolt on solution
                              Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
                              England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Working...
                              X