Flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel

Ive purchased a lightened flywheel thats been balanced at the crank from a trusted source.

I take it its best to balace this again or simply fit?
    ABY Coupe
    sigpic

where did you buy it?

Comment

Was the trust source news of the world?

Comment

nah he bought it of sven

Comment

lol.

Back to the point. If its been balanced at the crank. and i purchased it. Do i need to balance it?
          ABY Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

I should think it will need re balancing, Since it will only be balanced in the same way if it was bolted on in exactly the same position on the crank, assuming yours is still balanced correctly
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

greg did you mean shouldnt? only you wrote should and it sound like you ment shouldnt

Comment

coz im totally noobie here, crank is not part of the flywheel is it? So if its been balanced at the crank, would that be someone elses crank? so if its being fitted to a different car the balance would be all wrong?

I think i need a crash course for dummied on flywheels here
                ABY Coupe
                sigpic

Comment

if it was mine i would say it was fine just to put it on as it has already been balanced.

But since it isnt mine i would recomend you get a second opinion from a local engine builder (try quasar in breadbury)

regards
                  Will

Comment

This is something thats been bugging me, as i dont remember seeing a definite answer on balancing stuff, as in, if this is balanced individually can it go on as is? Or does everything need to be balanced as a package?
                    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Ant, The 5 cyl crank in standard trim is not neutrally balanced. This means all components connected to the crank are part of the complete balanced package. The OE crank can be machined to zero or neutral balance, in this case you can add any pulley or flywheel (as long as it's zero balanced) without any problems.

If you replace the front pulley or flywheel with a lightened unit you will affect the balance of the crank assembly. This has been argued about many times before, it's probably best to speak to someone who has balanced lots of these cranks and has real experience. I would recommend Phil at Bassett Down balancing, he's worked with 5 cyl cranks for years and has probably done more than any other balancer in the UK. Speak to Dialynx, etc if you want confirmation of this claim.

Bassett Down Balancing
                      Unit 19 Lower Bassett Down Workshops
                      Basset Down
                      Wroughton
                      Swindon
                      Wiltshire
                      SN4 9QP
                      Tel: 01793 812331

HTH
                      91 Modded 3B
                      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Useful stuff there, thanks Steve
                        Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                        2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

What do you do for lightened crank pulleys? Standard is crap and the rubber can cause vibrations - any sources of all ali ones?
                          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

they was a guy selling them on here a while back but people flamed him so he ran away do a search on ally bottom pully

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=bottom+pulley

Comment

Working...
                              X