Engine Paint, where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Paint, where to buy?

Anybody re-painted there engine block? I'm thinking about finding a nice RS blue, i'm such a tart Only engine paint i can find is black, and none of the online mail order places will ship over seas.

Thanks,

Mark.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Oh now you are testing the memory. Last engine I painted was 10 years ago and it was almost RS blue. All the best engines get painted I'm struggling to remember where we got the paint. It was somewhere local.... Can't remember the brand name.

All joking apart I have seen some engine paints on the shelves in the local Halfrauds. I dunno who makes it for them or if its any good. I'm sure they had a selection of colours. Blue is actually a good choice as you can easily see any leaks (perish the thought) that you might get along the way.

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

from the little i know of britain read from the car magazines i buy, it seems that halford's is the equivalent to our "wonderful" Canadian Tire. they've got lots of different colours of "engine paint". I've heard it works well. however, on my first car i painted my brake calipers with plain old tremclad instead of special caliper paint and it worked just fine....the point being i'm not sure i buy into all the specialty crap anymore and wouldn't be surprised if a regular spray paint would work.

worse comes to worse, go to a paint supplier and they'll be able to mix the proper stuff for you and put it into a spray bomb. it's costs about $10 a can here, so not a big expense.
      1993 UrS4...aka the rocket powered living room

Comment

i used hammerite on a number of different engines, been fine

Comment

Originally posted by ottawa coupe
          worse comes to worse, go to a paint supplier and they'll be able to mix the proper stuff for you and put it into a spray bomb. it's costs about $10 a can here, so not a big expense.
          You could also look up your local "industrial paint" shop. These are guys that don't do car or even truck bodywork, they just paint whatever you bring to them according to the specs you want. Not always easy to find as they hardly ever advertise... They usually don't work cheap either...

I'd just go to www.pontiacengines.net and get some musclecar Pontiac engine paint from Gregg, it's almost identical though a tad bit darker compared to the Audi RS Blue color and only costs 5$ per can and he ships oversees !
          You can send Gregg an e-mail on pontiacgregg@earthlink.net just PLEASE PUT "PONTIAC MOTOR" IN THE SUBJECT LINE as he gets a lot of spam.

He accepts Visa/Mastercard.

HTH,

David
          Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightBlueS2
            oversees
            OVERSEAS !
            Midnight Blue S2 - SOLD - 1993 S2 Avant

Comment

You dont need special engine paint for blocks

Just use 2 pack
              Plenty good enough and is available in every colour you could possibly want

I redid an Aircooled Ducati engine in 2K base coat and laquer, and that has never had a problem

The other trick is Humbrol enamel seriously the modelling paint is ace for brush painting engine blocks and you can get it in bigger tins as well.

The Masking trick for castings is make sure all machined faces are spotless, mask straight over the top leaving the tape over the edges.

then take your trusty Rubber mallet, and hit the block at an angle down along the edge you want to mask.

The Tape overhanging will cut on the edge and will be well stuck down where you want it to be

As with everything else..... preparation is everything
              HTH
              Dom

Comment

Halfords do FOLIATEK paint, it can be used on calipers, engines etc, it is Ă‚ÂŁ23 ti good stuff and gives a smooth finish aswell. I have just bought some of the red for my calipers and did them in 40mins. Takes a long time to dry mind.

If I remember they do RED, BLACK, RS BLUE, ORANGE, GOLD, YELLOW and GREEN.

If that is any help
                Dark Grey Avant
                RS2 FARB
                Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
                Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Wow lots of options, I tried halfords first but they only stock Black and Red unfortunately, they also have Hamerite High Temp but in Black only.

My first thought was American v8's, Fords, Chevy etc, always remember them being blue. Thanks for that link David, looks like a good option, i don’t mind if the colour is a little darker..

@Dom: Whats 2 pack

Cheers for the help guys,

Mark.

Comment

There is an Awesome looking VHT (very high Temperature) wrinkle paint.

I think the Civic type R has its rocker cover painted in this style.

I bought a can of it and used it on the first pipe i had in place between MAF and Apexi filter. It did look very nice... A real Deep red with lots of wrinkles.. Im sure they do a Blue too. If your interested ill dig out the invoice and find the site i bought it of.

Cheers.
                    Bo
                    91 S2 coupé - RIP
                    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

I was going to use black wrinkle stuff for the coil pack cover, having seen MarkH's its loverly

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar
                        @Dom: Whats 2 pack

Cheers for the help guys,

Mark.
                        2pack or 2K is an isocyanate based paint.... most car paint is 2K, you have paint, Hardener/activator, and a little thinners

Try your local car paint suppliers, but you MUST use the proper saftey gear to spray it.... its proper nasty poison

Local Car painters would do it for you..... easy

Comment

Ahh real paint then, i'm not building a concours car you know, hamerite would do

Comment

MAC the Halfords near me has two fo every colour in, I must live in boy racer heaven.
                            Dark Grey Avant
                            RS2 FARB
                            Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
                            Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/store/...?idProduct=347

Red, Black and gay gray!
                              91 S2 coupé - RIP
                              98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Working...
                              X