6 speed gearbox wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 speed gearbox wanted

wanted 6 speed gearbox , must have wide 1st gear torsen diff and have 4.1 diff ratio , for all those who know , which is the best box that has all that criteria and does anyone have one for sale thanks gary

If you do a search you will find a wealth of info

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15934

DSY, EDU or CRB

Comment

6 speed

thanks for that but i have read all of that and i am no nearer to knowing they all seem to have different ideas , if someone can just tell me which box has all what ive asked and what model it is in then that would be great thanks gary

Comment

I was looking into gearboxes a while ago and had a reply of someone who knows a lot about Audi gearboxes. This may be interesting reading to some and a few may dispute the figures mentioned?
        Cheers
        Chris

I'm kind of a tranny guru because I've been sourcing transmissions for people for years. I don't make anything but it does help me get better pricing on other parts from the same guy. Let me see, you have a 85 Audi if I recall, right? Then you have the very first Quattro g/b that Audi made. The 016 trans with locking center diff. Audi was worried about reliability so there are more bearings than need be in that box. The weak link is 3rd and 4th. These gears are cut on a hollow shaft and gunning the car with a high HP motor can strip the teeth off. The trans is good for about 250 HP maybe 300 if you drive carefully. Like I said a final drive of 3.55 was possible but then Audi stopped rallying and so went to 4.11 or 3.89.

Audi began having warranty problems with locking actuators for the center diff rusting shut. This in turn caused problems with the ABS so Audi looked for a solution. They found Torsen. Beginning in 1989 with the B3 and 20V Ur-Quattro the 016 was offered with a Torsen. The Torsen is too small and doesn't last long so Audi redesigned the 016 to be a bit more compact but it was slighlty beefier trans. For some reason it had the same small Torsen. This is the 01A trans. Used from the B3 to the A4. It may still be used today. I'm not sure. Lots of ratios to choose from and lots of availability. I believe that you can get TDI + Quattro ratios, as well. The trans has the shift rod on the right side of the car. The 016 has the shifter on the left side. The V6 trans you mentioned will have a 01A. You'll have probs with the shifter but it should be almost a bolt in. I think it is a bit shorter than the 016 but I don't have my V6 tranny anymore to compare. The 01A is OK for most apps but has a weak Torsen which will go bad if you get stuck in snow and spin all 4 wheels. Otherwise pretty good box. The trans is good for about 350 HP and in fact was offered on the S2 up until 1994. Then Audi installed a 6 speed. 3.89 was the standard final drive on most turbo cars and most diesels. In fact it may be possible to get a lower final drive ratio. I'll have to poke around ETKA and see what the A4 TDI Quattro was offered with.

Starting in 1991 Audi designed a 6 speed for the V8. This is the 01E. Charlie's 01E site has tons of info on these trannies. Strongest box from Audi and good for 500 HP. Audi has a new g/b for the RS4 coming out next year which is even stronger than the 01E but for now the 01E is the strongest trans available. You can convert your B2 to RS2 specs but it is expensive. You need S2 ABY-Motor stuff and lots of welding to get the shifter to fit.

OK, sorry for the history lesson but I thought you'd enjoy it. Now to answer your questions.

The TDI trans can rev as high as any other trans. Only the ratios will be different. The biggest issue with any trans is the torque and how the torque is applied. Before you go further can you tell what kind of motor you have, what HP it makes and what you plan on doing with the car? Totally rally / race car, street rally or fast street car? For a race car you'd probably want a 01E or at least a 01A.

Yes, you can strengthen any trans by shot peening the gears. This removes tiny burrs and in fact my trans rebuilder does this for full race spec 01Es. Shot peened gears and carbon synchro rings. BTW 99% of the trannies I get are 6 speeds so I'm most familiar with the 01E.

OK now for some pricing. A few years ago there were brand new 016s begin offered for about 500 Euro. I believe that Wotan in Luxembourg bought them all and still has some. Selection is very limited and not much choice but the gearboxes were new, unused stock from some dealer in Scandinavia. Nobody knows exactly. Used ones are cheap, maybe 200 Euro but you'd need to get it rebuilt.

01As are a dime a dozen. They are the most common Quattro trans around. Prices vary from 50 Euro (what I sold my V6 CDV for) to 1000 Euro for a S2 trans. Personally I'd get any 01A rebuilt but that will add another 500 Euro.

01Es start at 1000 Euro for a trans with a small first up to 2500 Euro for a trans that is rebuilt and built to semi racing specs.
        Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
        20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

6 speed

again good info but the 01e box is not in dispute its which one can i use with the criteria i need many thanks gary

Comment

Originally posted by garym
            thanks for that but i have read all of that and i am no nearer to knowing they all seem to have different ideas , if someone can just tell me which box has all what ive asked and what model it is in then that would be great thanks gary
            I'm really really sure i posted the gearbox codes in my post

The boxes all have 4.11 final drive and that link i posted has 2 links on showing and telling you which boxes are not 4.11 as they are 4.11 by default.

Comment

Working...
            X