X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An alternative to the IC O-ring

Hi,

I don't know if someone has already done this mod?

When I was putting my little 'lash up' together I could'nt believe how crappy that O-ring is as a seal for the IC to the crossmember pipe.
    This is what I used as an alternative, it uses a reducing straight length of silicone pipe (70mm to 60mm), this has to be carefully cut back until it fits, as it has to be fairly short in order to fit. It's also been fitted to Steve's car outside the rolling road as his O-ring was leaking badly on the day and the factory that makes the hoses (SFS) is next door!
    I think its safe to say that we have both tested it fairly rigorously with regard withstanding high boost levels

I'll attach a picture of mine here and Steves in the next post.

Mark.
    Attached Files
    Mark - Modded

Here's Steves, only took him about 30 mins to fit

Mark.
    Attached Files
    Mark - Modded

Comment

Mark, will this work on a stock ABY IC or is it different for the RS2 IC.

Also is there a stock no for this part from SFS Performance, or any other details that may help get the right part by post.

Cheers
      Jim

Comment

Jim,

The dimensions are the same which ever of the IC's you use. The part number from SFS is SR70-60 web site here: http://www.sfsperformance.co.uk/

Just be careful when cutting it back to fit and cut equal amounts from both ends, 'measure twice cut once'

Mark.
        Mark - Modded

Comment

Nice one Mark!! Will do that next time the bumper has to come off. So that will be next week then, cos something is bound to break on it.
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Will go down in history as the Mark Halligan intercooler hose mod.
            At least we can all afford to copy that bit of ingenious plumbing

Paul
            Paul Nugent
            Webmaster http://S2central.net
            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

are you suggesting that i cannot claim my car as a 'Halligan clone' just by doing this one mod?

****** it I won't bother then
              Jim

Comment

Guys,

This mod is a must if you want to be sure you aren't loosing boost from your IC o ring. As Mark said it takes about 30 mins to fit and is a huge improvement over the Heath Robinson affair Audi used.

Big thanks to Mark for sorting the parts for my car

Yo da maan

Cheers

Steve.
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Guys, please could you supply a step by step to get the bumper off to expose the I/C ?? ( ABY S2 ). Cheers.

Comment

James have you got access to a fax machine? if so PM me the number
                    Martyn
                    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Did the job yesterday. My system didn't have leaks (yet) but.... something no more to worry about !

Thanks Mark

Marco

Comment

Completed the mod last night. Fun putting the bumper back on by torch light

Tried to fit with an O'Ring and the Reducer but could not get the IC to meet up with the pipe. Gave up and just used the hose.

Cheers
                        Jim

Comment

whats sad..

Is that I just got my used aby intercooler and crossmember from germany(well actually thats a good thing).. But I didn't know there was an O ring.

Glad I happen to read this.

Thanks
                          Josh
                          I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

Like Jim, I gave up trying to use the O ring and the 'mod' hose. Just used the mod hose. It's a lot better seal than the O ring for sure!

Probably best you do the same Josh? its a 70mm to 60mm reducing silicon hose cut pretty short and works a treat.
                            Martyn
                            Martyn
                            -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I did a "temporary" seal on mine two days ago using silicone sealant ( the hose is on order!). Immediately the tickover was smoother and the motor is more responsive - another leaking O ring ! Thanks to Mark for the original post and Martyn for his help with the bumper.

Comment

Working...
                              X