spark plug torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plug torque

i've been searching the forum for the correct torque for the plugs .
    have so far found 3 different answers.
    22 Nm
    25 Nm
    30 Nm
    so which is it?

I think 25Nm is the correct torque, but due the ally head and the threads stretching over the years 30Nm helps to overcome this and stop the plugs becoming loose.

Just dont go any tighter!
    '93 S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by waad_uk View Post
      I think 25Nm is the correct torque, but due the ally head and the threads stretching over the years 30Nm helps to overcome this and stop the plugs becoming loose.

Just dont go any tighter!

Overtightening only damages the threads more. and will not necessarily provide a 'tighter fit'
      On my old S2 I torqued all plugs to the 24nm iirc that is specced. Never once had a problem with a loose plug.

Run a correctly sized tap down the threads 'if' you suspect damage and then torqueing to the correct amount should be fine

Comment

Info on spark plugs >>> Click Me.

However, I've always used 25Nm without problems.
        SS

Comment

thanks guys ,all were nice and tight
          however they were champion plugs
          can't find any listed for the s2 on the champion website ,so should i bin these asap?

Comment

Originally posted by tgriff View Post
            thanks guys ,all were nice and tight
            however they were champion plugs
            can't find any listed for the s2 on the champion website ,so should i bin these asap?
            Yep

Bin em.

F5DPOR
            are the ones to have,

GSF sell them. You will get 10% 'S2 forum' discount if you quote the name B4 they print the bill!!
            Thanks to Clive for that one

Comment

Just to throw a big dirty spanner in the works regarding torque values for plugs;

From the ABY/AAN/ADU manual,

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
              2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
              1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Originally posted by tgriff View Post
                i've been searching the forum for the correct torque for the plugs .
                have so far found 3 different answers.
                22 Nm
                25 Nm
                30 Nm
                so which is it?
                Correct value is 30Nm = 22ft lb

You will often see 25Nm on the Bosch box supplied to the aftermarket - this does not apply to the S2 as Audi documentation takes precedence.
                Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

bosch f5dpor from Cenral Auto Supplies £8.40 not to bad if u not near a gsf.
                  halfrauds wanted £13.48 robbin gits.
                  are the plug gaps pre set or do they need setting .
                  if so what gap?
                  thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
                    Correct value is 30Nm = 22ft lb

You will often see 25Nm on the Bosch box supplied to the aftermarket - this does not apply to the S2 as Audi documentation takes precedence.
                    Agree on the 22 lb ft. That's what we use on the west side of the "Pond" (for our AAN UrS4s and UrS6s).

We have had several (many in fact) cases of people forgetting or not knowing they need to check spark plug torque every oil change. The result has been plugs being blown out the head. Na$ty.

As a matter of interest, with the 1.8t coil pack conversion, the plugs are gripped by the end of the coil pack and and since the coil pack can not turn (much) in the cam cover, the plugs don't "walk" themselves out.

Dave F. (in Canada)
                    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                      Just to throw a big dirty spanner in the works regarding torque values for plugs;

From the ABY/AAN/ADU manual,

Well, I make 22lb-ft ~29.8Nm. So the figure in the link wasn't far out.
                      IIRC on 7A engines the spark plug torque setting is 20Nm. So maybe my own figure of 25Nm on my 3B is between the two.
                      SS

Comment

Working...
                      X