No announcement yet.

Anyone know what this connector is for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what this connector is for?

Just spotted it lying on the bracket behind the cooling fan

Looks like your missing the afterun water pump. Should be a plastic pump held in place with two rubber rings, can you see two water pipes joined together near by?
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Looks like you are correct, the pipe that comes off the top of the main rad and then splits off to a smaller pipe then has been joined to one coming off the side of the block with a straight length of metal tubing.
      I can only guess it failed at some point in the past!

Comment

think www.vagparts.co.uk sell them now, roughly £70.
        1995 B4 Audi 80 S2 avant 267bhp and 326lbft *sold*

2001 P38 Range Rover DHSE 159bhp and 255lbft

1985 Type85 Audi 90 quattro 135bhp 140lbft

Comment

So would this be the pump to cool the turbo when you turn off the engine after a really hot run?
          If so, I can live without that for now, as I always allow a turbo car to cool after a run before turning off anyway

Comment

Sure from after run pump!

Comment

Originally posted by dest View Post
              So would this be the pump to cool the turbo when you turn off the engine after a really hot run?
              If so, I can live without that for now, as I always allow a turbo car to cool after a run before turning off anyway
              Thats not it's primary use. It runs to get rid of air bubbles in the coolant in the engine.

I really would want it fixed if I was you.

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...g/cooling.html

Quote:

When the engine is shut off, and the engine coolant temperature at the exit of the cylinder head is above 110C, (230F) a secondary electric water pump turns on, which provides circulating coolant through the top coolant line down into the turbo and then into the engine block to ensure any bubbles from the boiling coolant get purged

I covered this here http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21596

Comment

nice write up jamo!!
                1995 B4 Audi 80 S2 avant 267bhp and 326lbft *sold*

2001 P38 Range Rover DHSE 159bhp and 255lbft

1985 Type85 Audi 90 quattro 135bhp 140lbft

Comment

When I have a look at your car on sat i'll see if anything else is missing for you, If you can get one before then i'll give you a hand fitting it, IIRC someone else on here was on about one, GSF do them for around £65 then 10% discount because your part of a forum.

Comment

Working...
                  X