Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update

Well, where to start. Much of everything related to pipes, including exhaust, was no more than hand tight.

The turbo to maf pipe was a total bodge job without clips or anything to prevent leakage, and some of the other pipes had clips missing. However, I knew the Turbo end of that pipe is bigger and needed sorting, so no surprise there.

I think the worst was the coil packs. No.1 coil pack (front of car) was drenched in oil, as was the plug. I mean flooded. The timing cover had been put on slightly wrong, with the gasket moved.

Have fabricated a custom pipe from turbo to intercooler with a stainless steel exhaust trim, and loads of hoses, as that pipe had been kinked so much it's possible no air was getting through to the intercooler. That now has no kinks whatsoever and has some nice steel chrome sections in, utilising a renault 5 turbo's bailey motorsport kit (£30) and cutting the existing audi hose to bits to ensure a kink/crimp free connection.

Same for the maf to turbo - got the dialynx pipe today but that looks like a right ball-ache to fit right now so will leave it till later. A piece of steel exhaust trim pipe, the Mark H 70-60 pipe, more circlips and that is as secure as it will ever need to be.

The oil feed pipes underneath the turbo... not sure on those. One of them has a red painted bolt holding it on. Wondered why my front bumped/spoiler was wonky. No massive leak out of those, just seems to be oil residue or seepage - I'll keep an eye on it but may need turbo off again and new pipes.

Car starts, still runs crap, and disconnecting injector no.1 makes no difference at all to crap running. The timing cover has been resealed so I'll check it for oil in the morning (at work 20.30 till 5.30 so I'll have time for 4 hours sleep before starting again. Woot.) but I reckon new plug/coil pack or possibly one of the injectors (RS2, brand new) is duff, though I doubt it. Plug to check first - was drenched in oil - doubt a spark was going to it. New plugs after 400 miles must be a record even for me ( I change every 3k miles).

Gonna try n source a used coil pack for no.1 but I know how hard that may be. Anyone got a spare? ( ) Any way of checking the coil packs?

The timing on both ex and inlet cams were fine, the exhaust is still blowing slightly but getting that sorted hopefully tommorrow. Apart from needing another Mark H pipe for the intercooler, I know for a fact that no hose around that turbo area is leaking. New clips, mods to extend pipes and fit without crimps, bling chrome steel all over. Innit.

I'm hoping *praying* coil pack no 1 being replaced will do something that cheers me up

ECU still to map (and send off, sorry Paul N - will get it sent tommorrow with some luck) and also hoping that will do stuff. *Might* try old injectors tommorrow as well, especially on no.1 cylinder.

Cheers all (Doug and Tom especially - cheers guys for your support) for any help/advice (though at this stage I'm ignoring 'burn it out for the insurance money' suggestions, but am open to 'sex with strangers' to pay for further modifications. I charge double for fat bald business men with rubber fetishes.)

Paul
    'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Paul

Sounds an absolute nightmare mate. Have you 'had words' with the guy who did this? Have you paid for it

If you need a hand this weekend doing anything give me a shout and I'll pop up. If you need anything fetching or whatever give me a bell.

Hang in there.....

Leigh
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Originally posted by LPHUK2002
      If you need a hand this weekend doing anything give me a shout and I'll pop up.
      The Mark mod? :eek2: where are those "how not to" pictures anyway? sorry - couldn't resist

You could swap coils to test no 1 cylinder. Might be easier to swap the complete coil pack cover though.

If oil is around the spark plug/Ht lead, get it all cleaned out.
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Doug

I told you it wasn't me it was a blind monkey with a blunt butter knife ops: - you git I thought we agreed never to talk about it - OK maybe we didn't...........
        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Have you 'had words' with the guy who did this?

Paul,
          I have to say you are taking this better (outwardly) than I would, anyway, I have a lot of 51mm SFS hose hanging about if you need it. Try cleaning the coil pack up well, before trashing it, there might be nothing wrong with it, all the oil in there is probably killing the spark, give it all a good clean up in there like Doug said.

Mark.
          Mark - Modded

Comment

Even running with a slight boost leak it was faster than a workmate's impreza turbo, civic type r, leon cupra r, my friends Golf 1.8t, which had been rolling roaded as more than standard, and on the way down to Siena's comfortably blew away an astra turbo (200hp) with me in 6th and the astra working his nuts off to keep up, after the boost leak was cured with a new intercooler o ring several weeks before Siena got the car.

When I dropped the car off, boost was hitting 1.45 bar and would stay there.

The drivers door I have no idea what the problem is - it seems to have dropped, presumably by jacking underneath it, and needs slamming to shut now. The car is a mess, inside and out. The paint was crap already, now the interior is covered in oily crap too.

I drove the car feather footed all the way back to Leeds. 29.2mpg avg on the trip meter.

I have NOT taken the car for any shakedown test - that would be impossible running on 4 cylinders. I know exactly what it needs. Right now, that is repairs. When I mentioned before about not keeping up with milk floats on the way back, that was with reference to trying to get to 50-60mph on the motorway, so I could get back the same day. I know now the car was running on 4, after todays investigation.

What's done is done. A remap is useless to me right now. Getting the car running properly again is my priority. That's another fact.

I'd intended to simply let the forum know how I was getting on so that people could offer help/suggestions on how to fix the car.

Paul

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Paul - I have some spare coil packs if you wanna try them... I got them dirt cheap as salvage off a UrS4 - they will need some cabling splicing to wire them in as some idiot lopped off the connectors when removing them.

You can have them free to help you diagnose the fault. I'll stick a couple in with the ECU when I return it.

I'll get your ECU into a standard RS2 trim (with 3bar MAP etc) as I don't want to risk any silly boost values or aggressive timing on that K26/27 of yours. Mihnea can sort the custom programming for you on his next trip.

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

That's great Paul, thanks for that. Today just trying another plug, and if I can get hold of another coil pack, one of those, but I'll get the ECU out and sent, as 'remap' is near the top of the list right after 'repair'.

It's been a while since the ECU had to come out, so I'm looking forward to an hour of skinned knuckles, cursing, lack of blood to the head and finally triumph as the ECU comes free leaving only a tract of skin a yard long as momento under my glovebox and a dizzy feeling as I try n stand up

PJ

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

@Paul: Sorry to hear about your problems mate, normally you should be able to drive a standard S2 on RS2 injectors and a 7A cam with no problems, the idle can't go to 500 RPM because of the cam, at least I've never seen this happen.

@Charlie: sorry but I can't testify for anything regarding Vagsport, I've only talked to him once in my life and I've never seen his work by myself, so please don't make me say what I can't say. Paul wasn't talking about any shakedown but rather just driving the car, plus I can't but stress on the fact that IT ISN'T Dangerous to run a car with a stock ABY ECU (ok, with an AMD boost chip) on RS2 injectors, K26/27 and 7A cams, the only thing that will happen will be that it will run very rich at WOT, but nothing more than that. At part throttle, a stock ABY ECU can adapt the mixture for the bigger injectors.

HTH,

Mihnea who just got back from France
                  '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                  info@MRCTuning.com
                  Workshop Directions

Comment

I have to agree with Mihnea on that point. My own car had same setup and ran fine at part throttle and idle. And that was with a 'super' chip!!
                    Something else is wrong with the car, maybe its got nothing to do with Sienna's work. As a mechanic myself, I know what its like getting the blame for something that is not caused by yourself. Im just gonna sit on the fence in this one. I have never worked on Pauls car or driven it to know what it was like.
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

That's fair enough Tom - I'm not asking anyone to 'take sides' just asking for help to get the car running like it should.

Current state of play. Replaced all the plugs (after 400 miles - a new record for me!) and put S2 injectors back in - car running at 800 rpm +/- 100rpm presumably cause of cam. Slow to build up revs at any throttle position as it was before, but no longer 'banging' and 'popping' and threatening to stall - i.e. running on all 5 pots now.

ECU is out - good push to back and lift it off the dark grey clip securing it and to be sent to the McCains performance Dept (subdivision: Homefries) today by registered 'lose it and you owe me tharsands' post.

Something else is niggling, like there is something else wrong somewhere, but aside from the cam and turbo, which had never been used 'on boost' so far the car is standard (AMD boost chip). Don't know what it is yet. May well have to check the oil levels in the spark plug hoses for a while - ordering another of those gaskets today. Just hope it's nothing to do with having the head bolts drilled. Maybe it's just me being paranoid.

Will keep u advised. Oh, and you'd be proud of my 'hybrid pipe' from turbo to I/cooler Tom. It has 'British Original Design/German Engineering' all over it, or 'B.O.D.G.E.' for short, and both looks the part AND does the trick Same for MAF->Turbo but I'll end up sorting out that Dialynx jobby if I can get an airbox/shield made for the whacking great K&N. Something in Stainless steel perhaps. Any ideas?

Cheers, Paul

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

heatshield wise your probably better getting the stuff from merlin motorsport like doug did.
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                          heatshield wise your probably better getting the stuff from merlin motorsport like doug did.
                          SteveH got the same stuff from somewhere cheaper - Steve?

I wouldn't worry about the heatshield until after it runs ok.

Do that compression check.
                          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

I hope that you sort any problems out with the car Paul, give me a shout if you want any more advise or help, and I will be more than happy to tell you to **** off!

I will be putting my cams in this weekend, so we can see how much difference that makes to the idle/mixture.
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Sounds like your having loads of fun!! If you need any help add me to the list of people already volunteering, maybe we could have a group meeting at Pauls house where we all stand around and take the piss out of his car!!
                              Only joking Paul, I'll send you a PM with my new mobile number, call me if you need help.

Andy
                              sigpic
                              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                              X