inner cv boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inner cv boot

Got a split inner boot drivers side front.

Dose the sub frame need to be removed to get to the spline drive bolts ?

cheers

rich
    sigpic
    "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
    BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
    1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
    2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Not as far as I know, the garage did mine and they did not remove it to do mine afaik.

Comment

hi

might have to remove drive shaft heat shield

loosen off driveshaft center nut/bolt

loosen ball joint
      loosen inner driveshaft bolts
      pull strut towards you to free off driveshaft and remove drive shaft

cheers
      john

Comment

I can now confirm that the sub frame dose not need to be removed to do the drivers side inner boot

Was really surprised how easy this was do to. Done them on Mrs rj Scotty's golf before now s2 is if anything a little easier

Inner and outer boot only £22 all in from gsf.

Don't delay check your boots today.

cheers

rich
        sigpic
        "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
        BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
        1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
        2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Just for peoples info ... removing driveshaft straight forward job, 6 torque bolts connecting to the gearbox end and one bolt/nut on the strut driveshaft end (strut bolt loosen before taking off wheel and tighten when wheel back on) bottom ball joint bolt out ,silly cover on the inner wing and thats it
          93 S2 Avant Parting
          91 URQ RR
          02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

rehashing an old thread... how do you get the inner front cv joint off? i've tried bashing it with a bricklayers hammer (and a piece of wood inbetween) and it just bends the boot flange on the joint. Oh and yes i've removed the circlip holding the inner cv on.

edit: got it off with much bashing... possibly destroyed the joint in the process
            Last edited by Mischa; 4 December 2012, 00:37.
            Daily: '08 Golf GT TDI
            Toy: '95 S2 Coupe

Comment

The inner.joint is big pain to remove. It can be done with a big sledge hammer. I used to do it this way but finally went and got a three jaw gear puller. Its an easy job now.

Comment

I've done it twice on my S4 B5, and both times it tapped off quite easily on different axles.

Comment

I've just ordered a genuine outer cv gaitor for our avant s2, will have to wheel alignment it again, I knew I should of done them in pairs

Comment

Originally posted by kulster View Post
                    I've just ordered a genuine outer cv gaitor for our avant s2, will have to wheel alignment it again, I knew I should of done them in pairs
                    If you don't remove the ball joint mounting bolts, and just slide the ball joint out of the knuckle, you should not need an alignment afterward. Sometimes you can even pull the shaft without even dropping the ball joint from the knuckle and just turning the wheel to full lock. At least on the fronts...Never done a B4 rear end though...

Comment

Cheers will give that a go, won't be doing it till Saturday

Comment

Working...
                      X