Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rs2 cam vs. 7a cam on aan motor

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone has tried both exhaust cams on their AAN's to see which one had the better top end.

Right now I have an Rs2 exhaust cam in my built AAN,but I also have a brand new 7A cam in a box. I know the specs on the lift/duration of both are outh there listed some where, but I'm more interested in real world experience.

My ultimate goal for power is to have it all at the top end of things. Put it this way...I want to make sure I keep cars like the c63AMG and M5 in my rears.

Looking into going from my rs2 turbo to a 3071 or GT35R in a month or so along w/ a VEMS for management.

If anyone is interested I'll be doing a dyno next week of the car as she sits. I'll post the plots , pic and vid.

Here's the laundry list of the motor:

AAN
    Rs2 turbo
    Rs2 EM
    Rs2 MAF
    AAN Intake cam
    Rs2 Injectors ( real , not 034 reps )
    ARP Main,studs,etc
    Pauter rods
    New OEM Pistons
    Port/polished matched intake and exhaust
    6 speed O1E S4 tranny
    Centerforce II clutch
    400+ RS4 Pastore SW
    Bosch 044 pump
    OEM wastegate w/ stock spring
    Magnaflow nickel race cats

Compared to other Rs2'd cars I've had the pleasure of driving, this one pulls to the top quite a bit harder, prolly the porting keeps the Rs2 turbo from falling off the map like it usually does on a non-built AAN.

Love this forum !

Cheers .

Mike

1993 UrS4 (not stock)
    1996 MBZ C36 AMG ( DD )
    1985 VW MkI Wolfsburg Cab ( Not Stock )
    2000 Massey Fergurson 3500 series tractor
    1996 Isuzu Trooper ( Derr Winter Mobile )

Nice car, I would like to see your rolling session results with a ported head on RS2 specs.

Comment

Similar conversations are going on elsewhere and have been for years on this subject. The synopsis seems to be that for power the 7A cam is better in combination with a standard inlet cam but that the ADU setup gives some nice characteristics. If you run the ADU cam sprocket then this will also add 10 deg retardation ms and thus put the power band higher.
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

When all those who are currently musing over the 7A vs ADU exhaust cams have finally made their decisions, I would like to buy an ADU exhaust cam please (or swap an ADU for my 7A)

I don't want top end power that the 7A gives, so I would like to feel those 'nice characteristics' that Orificer Casey refers to

Cheers n

Si
        95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
        Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
        With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Good choice Mr. Muirt, some sensible track torque to drag you out of those mid RPM corners nice and fast! Jamo had an RS2 exhaust cam for sale a few months back, see if he'll take a clipboard in PX and thn let me know about your 7A exhaust cam

Oh, and make sure you get the ADU cam pulley too so that the timing is all set as Porsche intended.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_Casey View Post
            Good choice Mr. Muirt, some sensible track torque to drag you out of those mid RPM corners nice and fast! Jamo had an RS2 exhaust cam for sale a few months back, see if he'll take a clipboard in PX and thn let me know about your 7A exhaust cam

Oh, and make sure you get the ADU cam pulley too so that the timing is all set as Porsche intended.
            I had a RS2 cam pulley and cam but sold it.

I have another Rs2 cam, aby exhaust cam but they are not for sale. Sold my 7A a month or two back as I have the NM inlet and exhausts.

I was a bit of a cam whore

Comment

For the moment I am very happy with the ADU cams and camwheel. It has a nice powerband, and the with a 7A exhaust cam (and retarted 5 degrees) it should give you the same characteristics as the ABY cams, but then with a higer HP output from middle to top revvs. I will stick in that 7A exhaust cam some day to try and see if I like that one as well. And sorry, I will not sell any cams soon as I am a cam collector

Comment

NM are the way forwards really but rarity and cost makes something like catcams a serious alternative. I'll have to see how my 7A inlet swap goes using catcams example with the hope that it increases power without sacrificing too much torque, it's the same as a lot of NA engines use and seems to work...
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

If my dyno results get me to where i want to be w/ just the Rs2 turbo I'll most likely keep the Rs2 exh/AAN intake cam setup.

This means I'll be selling my ADU cam w/ sprocket if anyone is looking for one. Its minty fresh : )
                  1993 UrS4 (not stock)
                  1996 MBZ C36 AMG ( DD )

Comment

Originally posted by bram View Post
                    Nice car, I would like to see your rolling session results with a ported head on RS2 specs.

Thanks ! I'll post the results,pics and vid when its all said and done.

Looking to be on the rollers by the 12th.
                    1993 UrS4 (not stock)
                    1996 MBZ C36 AMG ( DD )

Comment

Working...
                    X