Hi Strength Crank 2 Cambelt Pulley Sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Strength Crank 2 Cambelt Pulley Sprocket

A common failure and well documented weakness on the inline 5 Cylinder turbo engines is the crank 2 cambelt pulley Sprocket.
    The OEM units tend to fail with catastrophic consequences, as the oem units are made from a weak puter (cast) type of material. They tend to shear the keyway especially when a more performance is required from the engine.
    Failure of the oem unit leads to a head full of bent valves, damage to other valvetrain components aswell as a list of other possible engine components.
    Having been a victim to this weakness and to prevent further destruction of my cars valve train , i made up a super strength crank pulley sprocket from Hi Strength Steel.

The Steel is a Hi Grade EN19T Tool Steel, CNC cut and the teeth cut on a gear cutting machine.
    Fit is 100% as original.

I did a run of which half are already sold.

$225 each

Damage to Original pulley.

I got some of them heat treated and blackened to prevent corrosion.

www.i5turbo.com
    Last edited by Faheemo; 6 October 2008, 22:52.

S2 Coupe fully built.
    10.9 1/4mile 0-100 in 3.5secs
    Precision 6262 turbo
    The Green Monster

Will you be likely to be making any more in the future after this batch is gone?
    Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

so this one you have made apparently is not interchangable? you dont have to replace it along with the cambelt change?

Comment

can you post an image from the other side of the sprocket.
        RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
        RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
        Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
        High Octane website

Comment

Originally posted by madwolf_Uk View Post
          Will you be likely to be making any more in the future after this batch is gone?
          Hope fully i will, as the gear cutting tool (for the profile of the cambelt) cost me a packet.
          But it depends on demand.

Originally posted by PapVas View Post
          so this one you have made apparently is not interchangable? you dont have to replace it along with the cambelt change?
          Its not meant to be a replaced at every cambelt service, if thats what u mean.
          But i would recommend that you inspect your cambelt closely after say 50 000km's with this type of sprockets as they will tend to wear a cambelt down faster as the steel is much more hard on the belt.

Thers a few cars running them down here in SA at the moment.

Jeffer- i will take a pic of the reverse side and post soon.

S2 Coupe fully built.
          Precision 6262 turbo
          The Green Monster

Comment

that is good to know,cause if i fit this as an improvement,then having a cut belt or something will give me the same damage on the cyl.head and thus same costs to fix!

Comment

I have made another Batch of the pulleys, The design has been revised Slightly.
              Pulleys have been Treated against corrosion thus the greyish-black appearance.
              half of the 20 are already Taken.
              Pictures of the new Pulleys:
              Attached Files

S2 Coupe fully built.
              Precision 6262 turbo
              The Green Monster

Comment

Working...
              X