TT front calipers & 312 discs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TT front calipers & 312 discs?

having seen dest's s2 having 312's and TT front calipers, i have been tempted, seeing as my discs and pads are due for renewal.

Anyone know how this conversion is carried out, and what carriers and lines etc to use with the calipers, search function is drawing a blank?
    Last edited by Fat Audi 80; 27 August 2009, 20:04.

This might help Chris find out some more info

The brakes on Dests S2 are a setup using 314x30mm discs from a urs6 and calipers and carriers from i believe a audi tt/golf gti/octavia vrs.
    I had a fabia vrs back in 2005 and one of the mods i did was to fit brakes from a octavia vrs
    I have managed to dig out pictures of my skoda brakes to compare markings on the brakes and they are exactly the same so thats why i'm 90% sure they are indeed audi tt/golf gti/octavia vrs calipers and carriers, 314x30mm discs, tophat size i think is 60mm

S2 brakes

Skoda Brakes - ignore the baby that looks like hes the spawn of the devil

You can just make out the numbers 'DE, the VW symbol, 54 and the ATE symbol' on the caliper and on the rear of the caliper is '635' and 'v4' and on the carriers is the VW audi symbol on one end and the ate symbol on the other

Hope this helps
    '95 ABY Avant - Sold
    '98 B5 S4 -MRC400+ = 464ps 741nm

Comment

^^^^

very interesting, cheers mate.

its looking like this could be a possibility for getting bigger brakes onto an s2 without having to fork out on the porsche setup which, quite frankly, i can in no way afford!

My other concern is whether there will be any real gain in going from 280's with twin pots, to single pot 314's.

At the end of the day though, TT setups seem to go for prices in the region of 150, and shouldnt be too difficult to sell on again should this proove to be unfeasable. Research shall continue.

Comment

Ive had standard s2, 996 and now the tt's. I would say the tt set up sits perfectly in the middle. Not quite as good as 996 but definitly better than standard!

Comment

I'm curious if the URS4/6 Rotors mount with the TT carriers and calipers without any modification or spacing?

Comment

My calipers have the same markings as the green ones Matt posted, I got these 2 pics of them when I fitted my springs, but forgot to look at the mountings!

Comment

Seems a strange one - SINGLE piston calipers ?

Admittedly the two pistons on S2 caliper are pretty small and the tiny size of the disc is perhaps the limiting factor here.

What is bolt spacing on where that TT caliper connects to the carrier ?

I am thinking it might be nice to try the 314x30 disc with the necessary TT carrier but retain the twin pot S2 caliper - IFF it fits.

@dest - get thee spanners and ruler out for some reverse engineering - please old chap !
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

This is timely as I about to put new discs on front of the 80V6Q - same front brakes as the S2 - would be great to upsize for little extra money if possible.
                Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

SCratch my last thoughts - looked at the green carriers and they are NOT compatible with S2 calipers. Still worth a thought though.
                  Paul Nugent

Comment

good to see other brake options

me for example i am using a Mercedes Vito V6 front calipers/discs and it works PERFECT¡¡ the discs are 5x112 too, 303x30mm and the calipers are bigger than the Girling´s 60,they are 2 pot calipers with huge pistons. and of course the calipers carriers are homemade ,if someone wants to try with this setup i can meassure all the caliper carriers for build them,it´s easy and not expensive. and this setup works and looks very nice with the 16"´s 3B wheels

i can make some pictures if someone wants....
                    RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                    BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                    LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                      SCratch my last thoughts - looked at the green carriers and they are NOT compatible with S2 calipers. Still worth a thought though.
                      The vw guys and a4 guys do the A4/tt caliper and 312mm x 25mm swap alot. The A4 stock setup is 288 and the A8 is the 312mm. The A4 guys and golf iv guys retain the stock caliper but use the TT caliper carrier. +- $200.00 depending on where u look online new for them.

Seemingly i'm going to be testing out this route too. I might run to the junk yard and get a set of 288 A6 rotors though just to see if they work too. It's not really and upgrade but if it works i'll use it for now.
                      I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

Is it too simplistic be able to construct an adaptor to space the standard two pot caliper and carrier a little further out so you can use 312 discs?

Given that all you'd have to buy then would be new discs and this adapter, it would be worth paying £100 for a pair of adaptors.

John

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
                          Is it too simplistic be able to construct an adaptor to space the standard two pot caliper and carrier a little further out so you can use 312 discs?

Given that all you'd have to buy then would be new discs and this adapter, it would be worth paying £100 for a pair of adaptors.

John
                          WIth the stock A4 carrier its too close to the hub stock caliper mounts. With the TT mounts you would have to machine them and it wouldn't be wise because u would have to take a big chunk out of them. I allready considered the idea. You need either more hat height, or a larger diameter rotor.
                          I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

@ Matt_D

discs from a urs6 mean the Audi A6 C4.
                            modellyear 94-96
                            Are u using the disc of this cars?

Comment

Originally posted by qp96 View Post
                              @ Matt_D

discs from a urs6 mean the Audi A6 C4.
                              modellyear 94-96
                              Are u using the disc of this cars?
                              Yes thats correct Audi A6 S6 C4 discs