Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch tank/can question (again)

Hello.

Have read all the forums, google etc, but before I'm fitting and searching for an catch can, I want to know few questions to be sure I understand all the systems working principles.

1) I've seen that one forum member has fitted catch can with two inlets (or outlets?). First one goes valve covers lower outlet, and second one goes to the big crankcase hole on block. As far I know, flumes makes pressure in crankcase that passes by piston rings on explosion. Question - where does all those flumes go in this case? Picture attached below. Doesnt it make overpressure and slow down engine speed or elsewhat?

2) What meaning is of the big ventilation hole of block (right-side)? It is used for oil return or from there also comes flumes out? Or else what? Currently I understand that from valve cover and the big hole on the block are flume/oil outlets that needs to be joined to catch-can and third join has go either to atmosphere or inlet. Am I right? Or maybe not?

3) After oil and flumes has been seperated, how good it is (and is there a MUST?) to bring flumes back to intake? Does it somehow make difference of clean air, maybe there is hotter inlet air for IC to be processed etc? Or can I just put an air/oil filter on the top of the catch tank and let those flumes go out themself.. or must there be a sucking efect (vacum before turbo as for an example)?
    Attached Files

I know many of you have been fitted this thing
    I want to order the catch can ASAP to get my car running, help required

Comment

3) After oil and flumes has been seperated, how good it is (and is there a MUST?) to bring flumes back to intake? Does it somehow make difference of clean air, maybe there is hotter inlet air for IC to be processed etc? Or can I just put an air/oil filter on the top of the catch tank and let those flumes go out themself.. or must there be a sucking efect (vacum before turbo as for an example)?

Put an filter on it so the fumes will go out and drain back the oil in the sump.

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

burning the oil will lower octane levels. u7se a can to catch the crap and vent excess pressure to atmosphere with the return to sump.

minimise crank pressure where possible.

Comment

So far I understand. So I need catch can with two inlets - one from valve ceover and second from crankcase(?), one outlet for flumes (eg filter on the top) and return line to sump (under oil level)?

It just mystifies me of the whole forum that I've readed that default system sucks those flumes in. Will they go out form catch-can themself without additional sucking?

Comment

Can someone tell me for what purpose is the big ventilation hole on the left side of block? I'm going crazy not understanding

Comment

Originally posted by lv_max View Post
              So far I understand. So I need catch can with two inlets - one from valve ceover and second from crankcase(?), one outlet for flumes (eg filter on the top) and return line to sump (under oil level)?

It just mystifies me of the whole forum that I've readed that default system sucks those flumes in. Will they go out form catch-can themself without additional sucking?

Yes they will vent out on there own, you dont need to suck them out. But dont just let them vent in to the engine bay, run another pipe somewhere near the wheel arch to vent the fumes out there.

Two inlets are required, one from the back of the cam cover and one for the 30mm (iirc) connection at the (if facing the engine from front of car) lower right back. The second one is for crank case ventilation.

The cought condensed oil vapor can be stored in the tank or in a seperate resevor and then emptied every so often. I would not recommend returning it to the sump as the gunk that is collected is often mixed with water through condensation inside the tank.,

HTH.
              91 S2 coupé - RIP
              98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Originally posted by lv_max View Post
                Hello.

Have read all the forums, google etc, but before I'm fitting and searching for an catch can, I want to know few questions to be sure I understand all the systems working principles.

1) I've seen that one forum member has fitted catch can with two inlets (or outlets?). First one goes valve covers lower outlet, and second one goes to the big crankcase hole on block. As far I know, flumes makes pressure in crankcase that passes by piston rings on explosion. Question - where does all those flumes go in this case? Picture attached below. Doesnt it make overpressure and slow down engine speed or elsewhat?

2) What meaning is of the big ventilation hole of block (right-side)? It is used for oil return or from there also comes flumes out? Or else what? Currently I understand that from valve cover and the big hole on the block are flume/oil outlets that needs to be joined to catch-can and third join has go either to atmosphere or inlet. Am I right? Or maybe not?

Ah, you've misunderstood here, there is 1 inlet (side) and 1 outlet (top). The head and block pipes are combined by the OE ABY breather system pipe. The outlet pipe from the tank routes back to the induction pipe using the OE ABY system.

The 3B is different and requires 2 inlets and 1 outlet as there is less pipework. You can run the tank outlet to the low pressure side of the induction system (as per OE) or leave it free air and deal with the fumes.
                Cheers'en, AndyC
                1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

on the factory systems the fumes/vapour is routed back and burnt to lower the effective emmissions overall. on a performance car want octane and so remove the fumes run it to a can where it condenses and excess pressure is released from a filter.

route all 3 breathers to the can. have a fitler on the can. route back to sump or empty can periodically

Comment

Ok, you guys recommend to not let the oil go back to sump. But original system does so as I understand.

So.. now I have collected many forum members ideas etc, and visualy I imagine this all like this (see attachment).

Is it possible to return oil to the blocks hole? I think it's quite big for oil return and for flume outgoing to catch tank. Or better like on the picture?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hey, what you guys say about the above picture?

Anyways, I found this one on ebay, but I cannot understand are those two pipes inlets or only one and secod for outlet? Link here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Comment

You could use as inlet and outlet or two inlets from looks of it
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

i would have both those as inlet 1 from rocker cover and 1 from the engine block, and @ bottom where it sits an plug i would put an hose connector instead and drain that back to the sump

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Be careful draining back to the sump, most of my catch tank contents ahve been water so might be worth leaving it plugged to begin and see what happens.

Best bet it to have one custom made to suit the pipes and situation you are going to fit it in, shouldn't cost much, mine cost £45 delivered and fits like a glove
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

You say that oil contains other shits etc, but as far as I know, original system has the sampe principle, hmmm..

Comment

Working...
                              X