AAN into Ur quattro, 400-450 Bhp Target

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAN into Ur quattro, 400-450 Bhp Target

Yes, another "400bhp" engine topic/project car.

The car is a healthy 1984 WR.

I have bought a 6 spead gearbox, diff and AAN engine from an S6.

Plan is to rebuild the engine for 400-450 reliable horsepower and strong torque. Having said this, as this is purely for high days and holidays, I want the delivery to be pretty animalistic.

It will have a full rebuild (piston rings, valve seats etc plus tuning parts)

Planned spec:

ARP Head and Big end Bolts *
    Scat Rods *
    Standard pistons
    RS2 head Gasket
    RS2 Shells
    Standard Cams and Cylinder Head
    Wagner reverse Inlet Manifold *
    Wanger EVO RS2 Exhaust manifold *
    034 Aluminum flywheel to suit AAN and 6 speed box*
    Twin Intercoolers.

*(already acquired)

Turbo Undecided, possibly the Turbo Dynamics MD357 or a GT3071R with 0.63 AR. The MD357 seems to be quite pricey, and there are other K26 hybrids about.

Do pleople think it would be advisable to lower the compression ratio to be on the safe side? I see that 034 sell a thicker head gasket which would give me a drop.

Any tips or lessons learned from past experience will be most welcome.
    Angus

(1984 ur quattro)

turbos are a bit of a personal choice. some like only garrett, some the kkk and others hybrids by md and the like. my choice is precision.

compression ratio will be ok. if you wanna run more boost lowering may be helpful for top end in particular. i lowered mine by skimming the pistons. done at same time as fitting the scats.

Comment

Turbo Dynamics roller bearing MD357 turbo

Turbo Dynamics state:

Special .6 A/R turbine housing to take garrett cartridge. High flow GT30 compessor wheel, 0.60 A/R To4B modified compessor housing and seal plate assembly, compact GT25 angular contact roller bearing core assembly, left hand thread GT30 "low inertia" shaft & wheel assembly, recommended maximum boost level is 32 psi.

stonking turbo, DJones has stonking results but it's stonking big price!, GT3071 or Comp Turbo 355 be better value for the money.

Comment

A CT350 or GT2871 should fulfill your HP needs easily for a descend price.

Comment

S6 diff won't fit your urq.

Comment

s6 gearbox/linkage is also a no go-er

Comment

Where are you getting and how are you installing your intercoolers?

Comment

Things are starting to move along now, budget is the main constraint!

I have gone for a GT3071R Turbo, and am going to use oil and water fitting kit from 034. Have also just ordered one of their downpipes (apparantly the fit is a little variable), a track desity motor mount and 1.9 bar wastegate spring.

As for intercoolers, my plan is to fit the engine, and then look at what I can get in there.

At the moment the engine is all built up, but I'm trying to hold till i get the majority of parts, so i dontr have to take the car off the road for ages.

Will now be looking for an S2/MB quattro rear diff and a motronic ECU.

I will get hayward and scott to make an exhaust from the downpipe back, upgrade the brakes to porsche monoblocs, fit H&R springs, and possibly 17" Compomotive MO's.

Sorry, no pics yet!
                Angus

(1984 ur quattro)

Comment

Originally posted by URquattroGus View Post
                  Things are starting to move along now, budget is the main constraint!

I have gone for a GT3071R Turbo, and am going to use oil and water fitting kit from 034. Have also just ordered one of their downpipes (apparantly the fit is a little variable), a track desity motor mount and 1.9 bar wastegate spring.

As for intercoolers, my plan is to fit the engine, and then look at what I can get in there.

At the moment the engine is all built up, but I'm trying to hold till i get the majority of parts, so i dontr have to take the car off the road for ages.

Will now be looking for an S2/MB quattro rear diff and a motronic ECU.

I will get hayward and scott to make an exhaust from the downpipe back, upgrade the brakes to porsche monoblocs, fit H&R springs, and possibly 17" Compomotive MO's.

Sorry, no pics yet!

All sounds very familiar.... i hope it all goes to plan..

The MB diff wont help if you go 6 speed as its a 3.9 to match the 016 Ur 5 speed. You will need 4.11 off of a s2 Coupe.
                  Last edited by DJones; 8 January 2010, 20:36.

Comment

Originally posted by DJones View Post

The MB diff wont help if you go 6 speed as its a 3.9 to match the 016 Ur 5 speed. You will need 4.11 off of a s2 Coupe.
                    or off a series 2 Cq or 90. What are you doing for linkage? No need to swap subframe or cut tunnel if using the 6 speed from a s2/early 5 cylinder s4/S6, have contact info if needed for conversion parts..
                    1986 Coupe q - 2281cc 3B, chargecooler, 2.75" exh & downpipe, ported head, water injection, CGR box, modified MD357 turbo, 440cc injectors, high power coil.
                    2004 A4 2.5TDi convertible, re-mapped to 180bhp
                    2011 A5 sportback 3TDi-Backbox delete, remap

Comment

Originally posted by 20Vcqdriver View Post
                      or off a series 2 Cq or 90.

Nope, the flanges are 100mm and will not fit Ur-q shafts... he has an '84 so he has a large diff and can not swap output flanges into smaller diff. Or uses smaller shafts.

Another option is a diff from early pre facelift 80 quattro. Those had 4.11 and had 108mm flanges.

Hope this helps.
                      www.quattro.ca
                      B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
                      B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

I am using a 6 speed box from a S6, in fairness Pete Berry will be fitting most parts.

I am relatively capable having worked as an agricultural apprentice (more skilled than most people think) but I just don't have the time or patience. To me a car is no good if it's not on the road and i can't drive it regularly.

With regards to using a S2 diff, will it matter whether it comes from a 5 speed/3B S2 or a six speed one, surely the diff ratio is different?

Thanks in advance.
                        Angus

(1984 ur quattro)

Comment

Originally posted by DJones View Post

Thanks, I'll make no secret of the fact that seeing your car in PPC was a major inspiration, along with talking to someone who was trying to get big power from the 10 valve with serious complications.

I fully expect to try and pinch some of your ideas (although the turbo was too pricey for me)

Before I saw your conversion I hated the idea of a 20v conversion because many have been bad taste and 'bling'

Hence when asked what colour I would like the rocker cover on the engine I said a clean/matt dipped silver finish that looks stock, as opposed to the red, blue or chrome many people go for.

Fitting compomotives might go against the rest of the project, the original idea was to keep it looking standard, but I can't help feeling 17's would offer more grip and less sidewall flex, and then my brake upgrade options are also wider. We shall see....
                          Angus

(1984 ur quattro)

Comment

Originally posted by URquattroGus View Post
                            Thanks, I'll make no secret of the fact that seeing your car in PPC was a major inspiration, along with talking to someone who was trying to get big power from the 10 valve with serious complications.

I fully expect to try and pinch some of your ideas (although the turbo was too pricey for me)

Before I saw your conversion I hated the idea of a 20v conversion because many have been bad taste and 'bling'

Hence when asked what colour I would like the rocker cover on the engine I said a clean/matt dipped silver finish that looks stock, as opposed to the red, blue or chrome many people go for.

Fitting compomotives might go against the rest of the project, the original idea was to keep it looking standard, but I can't help feeling 17's would offer more grip and less sidewall flex, and then my brake upgrade options are also wider. We shall see....

All sounds good. Their are plenty of pictures on here. Do a search for "my first pictures".

Get some pics up, best of luck and give me a shout if you need any advice.

Darren.

Comment

Here are some photos of the car in it's current state, with more to follow of engine etc:

Its very origional, and almost a shame to spoil, but the aim is to create a bit of a sleeper and have some sh*ts and giggles along the way

I still have, and plan to keep, the 80's tweed interior! I had to re trim the front seats with fabric from other seats that I have aquired ovfer the years. For three years I have run it in more or less standard form, save for the addition of Koni dampers. It also has had new bushes and an engine Rebuild, and all small rust areas (bubble on inner wing and one in boot) cut out and sorted by a body shop.

Will post more pics and list the bits I have to be fitted very soon.
                              Angus

(1984 ur quattro)

Comment

Working...
                              X