Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K24R Catch Tanks - ABY S2 & RS2 - Now Available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K24R Catch Tanks - ABY S2 & RS2 - Now Available!

I will be getting these on order next week with a 2 week turnaround The kit is only tested on RHD vehicles but if you have a LHD vehicle and wish to try this kit then please get in touch!

Here are the kits:-

ABY S2 / RS2 Starter Kit

The Starter Kit consists of:-
    • Custom designed catch tank.
    • Mounting hardware.

The catch tank has been designed to utilise the ABY/RS2 breather system and fit to the ABY/RS2 strut brace (requires 2 9mm holes). The required mounting hardware is included to mount the tank to to the strut brace.

The tanks are made from welded sheet aluminium and are of a high quality, they are a bare finish and so can either be left or primed and painted, should you decide to colour code to your car or engine bay. I have had a tank from the same manufacturer for 18 months and it still looks very good. They have a capacity of just over 1 litre and have some nice features to make installation into an ABY S2 or RS2 really simple:-
    • The inlet faces downwards to make connection to the existing breather system easier and neater, it is also the correct diameter!
    • The tank is fitted with a bracket that securely attatches the tank to the ABY strut brace.
    • The bracket is designed to provide clearance for either a breather filter or 90 degree bend for return pipe work.
    • The tank is internally baffled to encourage oil vapour deposition and prevent blow-by.
    • The sight glass is easily visible in the ABY engine bay.
    • The M10 drain plug is easy to reach and has more than suffient material to allow attatchment of a nipple for a sump return system.

To finish off the installation you will need 35-40cm of 19mm bore hose to connect to the breather system and to either sort some return pipework or a 19mm bore breather filter. The N80 and fuel breather will also need to be sorted.

IMO, this kit is for the more adventurous or experienced mechanic who likes to finish things to their own specification, it enables you to colour code the filter and / or pipework to your car and you get to decide the quality of the parts you fit, e.g. flourolined pink hose and a wire mesh filter .

The basic kit of tank + mounting hardware will be £75 delivered.

ABY S2 / RS2 Standard Kit

The Standard Kit consists of the Starter Kit with the addition of:-
    • 0.5m black Aeroquip oil hose to connect to the ABY/ADU breather (oil resistant, unlike silicon hose).
    • Cotton breather filter.
    • Clips for the hose and filter.

You will still have to sort N80 and fuel breather but the filter completes a vent to atmosphere install.

This kit saves sourcing some of the bits and bobs required to finish the installation and is supplied with the right amount of hose so you don't end up with an odd end lying about. The N80 and fuel breather will still require modification but I'm working on a solution for this (see below).

The Standard Kit is £99 delivered.

For kits pre-ordered before 31/10/09 I will offer a 10% discount The kits should be on their way before the end of November if all goes to plan.

I can also offer braided hose for an extra £10, so £109 delivered. Please let me know if you require this option when ordering.

Coming soon
    • Retun pipe kit for this tank.
    • N80 integration options for inlet return and vent to atmosphere setups.
    • 3B Catch Tank kit.

Many thanks, to order, please email:-

andy@k24racing.co.uk

P.S. N80 is the carbon canister / fuel breather EVAP solenoid.

Here's some pictures of the prototype on my car, the latest tank design has been improved to give more options on the outlet. My tank is shown with return pipework c/o an existing A/C pipe
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rusty; 16 November 2009, 12:47.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Are the tanks baffled to stop oil/crap sloshing about?
    Chef

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      [*]The tank is internally baffled to encourage oil vapour deposition and prevent blow-by.

Tired Chef?

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Looks good Andy
        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Cheers guys.

Yes Terry, they are baffled

I forgot to say, if anyone needs a special for a project then please contact me with your requirements and I can get you a quote. For example different inlets, outlets or more inlets or outlets.

I would also be happy to look at other design projects you may have, especially if it's a saleable item I'll do a welcome thread when I get a break from designing and admin. Gucci kit top mounts are the current toy :mischeif:
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty
            Cheers guys.

Yes Terry, they are baffled

I forgot to say, if anyone needs a special for a project then please contact me with your requirements and I can get you a quote. For example different inlets, outlets or more inlets or outlets.

I would also be happy to look at other design projects you may have, especially if it's a saleable item I'll do a welcome thread when I get a break from designing and admin. Gucci kit top mounts are the current drawing board toy :mischeif:
            Dumb Question - I know I'm good at these!!!

WTF are they for????

I am totally baffled by these items & I am sure I'm not the only one...

They Look Good... M8

But why? What do they do?

Andy, Please Explain...

<--- Heads For Cover...

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

They stop the oily breather fumes being fad back into the inlet tract and fouling up the Maf and IC.
              Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

at least you're honest. Gary, you're close but there is more too it

First of all you need to understand what the breather system does:-

The movement of the componenets in the engine and the blow-by of the pistons during combustion causes pressure differences in the crank and cam cases. To prevent these pressure differences from affecting engine performance a vent is used to allow the pressure to be equalised with atmospheric pressure. The air that travels along this vent is laden with oil vapour, suspended oil droplets and fumes from combustion. All modern cars have this breather connected to the inlet so that the fumes and oil vapour are ingested and burned. This connection comes from the front of the head to the inlet hose on the ABY S2 / RS2. The addition of oil vapour to the inlet air effectively reduces the octane rating of the fuel and as anyone who has compared 95 to 98 will testify, octane is most definitely important in a turbocharged car. Modern cars have various devices to help remove the oil from the system but the S2 does not. As Madwolf says, the oil vapour also normally condenses and the suspended oil droplets come out of suspension in the inlet piping and clog up the inlet piping, including the intercooler. The MAF is pre-breather though so is unaffected Some oil vapour is actually a good thing, e.g. piston type dump valves require periodic lubrication if a vent to atmosphere catch tank is installed. In the main though the advantages of fitting a catch tank outweigh the disadvantages.

So what does a catch tank do?

A catch tank provides a space in the breather where the hot gases/vapours/suspended oil droplets can cool and slow thus allowing the vapours to condense and any oil that is in suspension to be removed by deposition as the energy of the gases is reduced so it can't be supported. The oil that is collected can be returned to the sump or can be stored in the tank before being drained as part of regular maintenance. The sight glass on the front of the K24R tanks shows the level so you don't have to guess, like you do with sealed containers. The advantages and disadvantages of sump returns are discussed in various threads on here.

A catch tank can be integrated in one of two ways:-

It can be connected to the breather, the existing breather can be plugged and a breather filter applied to the tank outlet.
                • Advantages - This completely removes all oil vapour from the system and is used in many racing and rally cars for this reason.
                • Disadvantages - The fumes from the catch tank can enter the cabin through the interior fan, careful routing of the vent can easily prevent this.

The catch tank can also have the outlet plumbed back into the inlet of the engine:
                • Advantages - No fumes are released to the atmosphere and the oil vapour and suspended oil levels in the inlet air are greatly reduced.
                • Disadvantages - Some oil vapour and suspended oil are still released back into the inlet allbeit reduced amounts (good for your DV ).

I hope this clears things up a little?
                Last edited by Rusty; 24 October 2009, 11:33.
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Andy,

Thanks & Well explained...

It's very technical and way above a mere mortal's head - like myself...

My limit is putting the key in and turning it... Turn on the stero and turn up the heating..

Good luck selling 'em...

sigpic

New S2 - S8 & RS2 -RS6 Keyrings

Comment

Ordered these today

Will have the N80 integration parts and return pipework sorted by the end of the week too
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

cracking bit of kit, count me in. The breather system is evil and must be punished.
                      Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

I'm just trying to get the best value options for retaining the N80 when either doing a VTA or Inlet Return system. There are quite a few ways to do it and it's cheaper to leave the OE stuff in there, although it's neater to re-work the hoses and replace 15+ YO hose with shiney new stuff. I think I'll replace the lot when I design the return pipework and do a simpler version for the VTA
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I can also offer a braided hose option, should you prefer to match to the ABY fuel lines, again, this is dedicated fuel/oil hose so will last better than silicon. This option will be an additional £10 for either kit.

A matching option on the return pipework will be offered, prices and details to follow.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Andy does this system work out favourably in the weight game after the stock breather set up has been removed? I like the idea of being rid of the standard system and if there is little difference in weight that's even better - small increases tolerated, reductions rejoiced at!
                            Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

I'd say they'll be quite similar, there is a lot of bits to the OE system.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                              X